Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 2017 Off Season

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHallenback View Post
    The powers that be in the WHL believe a 15 year old draft would be the end of the small market teams in the WHL because the best players would make there intentions known that they will not go there because at that age they do have options. Basically what the OHL and QMJHL have become with the same powerhouse teams year after year. Why would any kid from the Lower mainland in BC want to move to Swift Current or Brandon? They wouldn't. Neither would the top Alberta kids.

But, I think they have to do that if they want to keep more of the top end guys from going to the USHL,NCAA and BCJHL. They would probably attract more top end US talent as well that way. If they wanted to keep the smaller teams around they would need to revenue share as well which is something they won't do I think
    My personal opinion (as a US parent) is there needs to be more information available to the US families. The education package needs to be better understood, as well as the quality of the hockey. I have had my kids play in both the USHL as well as the Dub. There is really no comparison between the two leagues. My son's USHL team went to the finals while my other boy's team was knocked out in the second round of Western League playoffs. Had the two teams played, the Western League club would have won by more than 5+ goals in every game. The USHL is a "safe" league for a small framed player who does not like the physical grind of Major Junior. Had I known how soft the USHL had become, I would not let my younger kid waste a season there. I talk about my experiences with lots of US families, but it would have more power coming from a scout or even the agents. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieDunlap View Post
    My personal opinion (as a US parent) is there needs to be more information available to the US families. The education package needs to be better understood, as well as the quality of the hockey. I have had my kids play in both the USHL as well as the Dub. There is really no comparison between the two leagues. My son's USHL team went to the finals while my other boy's team was knocked out in the second round of Western League playoffs. Had the two teams played, the Western League club would have won by more than 5+ goals in every game. The USHL is a "safe" league for a small framed player who does not like the physical grind of Major Junior. Had I known how soft the USHL had become, I would not let my younger kid waste a season there. I talk about my experiences with lots of US families, but it would have more power coming from a scout or even the agents. Just my 2 cents
    I think more info would be good as well but teams love to remain secretive

My own experiences with US kids was they always wanted to know what was in it for them and them I mean the families. How often would you fly us out and put us up to watch their kid play. I know of a few kids who all said the same thing, well this NCAA team has offered us this, now what will you offer? Then those kids after playing in the USHL or wherever never got those deals from that NCAA team. I also know kids that did come up sign a WHL contract and play in 1 game, not play then go home halfway throught the season and get nothing for college either.

In the end neither the WHL or NCAA system is in favor of the players and really it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHallenback View Post
    I think more info would be good as well but teams love to remain secretive

My own experiences with US kids was they always wanted to know what was in it for them and them I mean the families. How often would you fly us out and put us up to watch their kid play. I know of a few kids who all said the same thing, well this NCAA team has offered us this, now what will you offer? Then those kids after playing in the USHL or wherever never got those deals from that NCAA team. I also know kids that did come up sign a WHL contract and play in 1 game, not play then go home halfway throught the season and get nothing for college either.

In the end neither the WHL or NCAA system is in favor of the players and really it should be.
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but I never asked what either the WHL or the NCAA school where my kid had a scholarship could provide for my family. I am pleased he has a place to play and follow his work ethics. Both are business organizations and both have provided many opportunities for kids to play and have success. I am also thankful for the education package available at the back end. Excited for this upcoming season!!

Anyone know which 15's and 16's are coming to camp?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Which 15's and 16's are signed? Somewhat surprised that Anthony Kehler did not make Manitoba U16 team? Looks like the 15's and 16's are a very good looking group for the WK. The rebuild is on methinks.

I am going to guess he is injured