Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Off Season

Love to hear the positivity on there prospects. You would have to think that they take a 17 year forward in the import draft. Like you guys said time to do what they do best sell the valuable assets they have this year and build around the 16 year old group . That's what I would like to see . It doesn't look like there is going to be a coaching change so they coaches better pull up there socks and be better more then anything if this team wants to progress .

Not sure what direction the WK will take this season, but they are not ranked very high. Regina, MJ, SC, and possibly PA and Sask look better on paper than the WK. I guess they are in a re-build mode not a reload mode. If that is the case they need to draft a younger--17 year old import and trade off valuable assets at the deadline in order to reload for the future. It has been a few years since I viewed the team as not being a contender. We as fans need to put our full support behind the team as methinks it could be a LONG winter in WheatKing land, just based on the strength of the other teams in the East division.

I agree with all of what you say booboo . I quick rebuild is what I think will happen . As long as KM still owns the team he wont let it join Saskatoon in the basement

Quote Originally Posted by Kirmel View Post
    I agree with all of what you say booboo . I quick rebuild is what I think will happen . As long as KM still owns the team he wont let it join Saskatoon in the basement
    I think it's pretty clear what the WK need to do
    Short term. with the lack of forward talent this season, commit to playing a defensive style, think Everett. Coaches and player leadership group need to lead with discipline and purpose, something that was sadly lacking last season
    Long term. Build around the 2016 draft class. Aggressively trade 19 year old assets who won't be back next season, for 2016 and 2017 draft class players
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    I think it's pretty clear what the WK need to do
    Short term. with the lack of forward talent this season, commit to playing a defensive style, think Everett. Coaches and player leadership group need to lead with discipline and purpose, something that was sadly lacking last season
    Long term. Build around the 2016 draft class. Aggressively trade 19 year old assets who won't be back next season, for 2016 and 2017 draft class players
    Yes, as soon as the younger Bettens signs we will have signed the top 6 of our 2016 prospects. We need to channel our energies towards that group and the 2017 group which also look very good. Sprinkle in a few list players and imports and the future does look better than the present.

Another thing that's been a disappointment with this team is the lack of info from The PBP guy . Bruce always had things on his blog about the team . This new guy has absolutely nothing . Really miss the info you got from him . Never thought he was the best PBP guy but Bruce was very knowledgeable when it came the BWK and the League in general .

I agree with what you guys are saying, you have to focus on the two year period to build your team around. You use your import draft to reload for those years and if you make trades of Patrick , Clague or who ever, you get players in return based primarily in those same years. I'm not sure what years we need to build around yet saying the 2016 draft year for sure is a bit premature we need to see further development yet before we can make statement, but the process will be fun and we must support the team in the process of the rebuild

If Patrick does return to the WHL, ( I know that's probably unlikely ) do the WK's not stand a pretty good chance in the Eastern Conference? They are returning almost the entire team ( except Duke, Coulter and Osipov ) but all the returning players will be a year older and stronger. With a solid 20 year old forward and a Euro forward added to the forward group, I think Bdn would ice some pretty strong lines with 1) Patrick, Euro, 20 Year Old, 2) Kaspick, Lewis, Matteous, 3) Guttenberg, McCorrister McCartney 4) Thomson, Bettens, Dailey, Reihhart

The defence will all be a year older and more experienced: Clague will quarterback the d corps with Shearer / Jensen. Bukac and Schneider will be a good 3-4 pairing and Higson and Sambrook is a pretty decent 3rd pairing.
    Logan Thompson will be a strong goalie to take care of the net.

Before we start planning for 3 years down the road, I don't know if we should sell this team short already.

We know MJ will be strong and Regina will try and load up ( but that might be harder than people think because they don't have many assets to trade ) PA will be vastly improved and Swift will also be strong. The Eastern conference will be as strong as it's been is some time. But if a few moves are made, I think this group could surprise quite a few people - including some people on here who have already thrown in the towel.

If Patrick doesn't come back, I still think this group can compete with a few moves ( trade for a good 20 year old forward and draft a good Euro forward ) Then wait to see how the team does up to Christmas and then decide whether to sell off or not

I don't think anybody is throwing in the towel per say . But let's be realistic I think they are better then Saskatoon and PA and maybe equal to Swift but I just think Regina and Moose Jaw have to much coming back to compete with them . Saying that MJ losing Sawchenko will hurt them as well . Nothing will happen till close to the trade deadline anyway . So time will tell .

I agree Moose Jaw should be good, Whilms will struggle with young d core but team should still battle for top in east. The Pats will buy a good team for the Memorial Cup but may start out of the gate really slow. I think the Blades will compete with Swift for 3rd in the Division. Brandon will come in 4th and PA will still be rebuilding. The Brandon players quit on the coach after Xmas and they will struggle this year again. I think Patrick will be dealt at the trade deadline.