Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PuckHead306 View Post
    Not sure where you make the connection between operating profitably on the business side and acquiring players? Last time I checked, being responsible financially, increasing your merchandising and branding efforts, and offering fans a good show to come to on the business side didn't affect the number of trades a GM could make to make his team better.
    Are you serious?

There is a direct correlation between the on-ice product and ticket / merchandise sales. As great as the efforts were on the front office side, that was the best Pats team the organization has iced in my lifetime. Multiple records were broken and there were a lot of sell out crowds. Are you suggesting that had the Pats been in the basement, they still would have been as successful financially because of the marketing and merchandise departments? I don't think so!

So where am I going with this? I have never seen the Pats win a WHL Championship, skate through the front door to the Memorial Cup and win that tournament too. The Pats have two options this year, they can do what they did last year and go one leg in and ice a competitive product, while retaining valuable resources for following years or they can go all in, exhaust resources in an honest effort to win both Championships, but that's going to come at a cost.

The new owners want to operate a profitable business year in and year out. Putting a relatively competitive product on the ice every year can achieve that. However, if the GM exhausts resources so much one year that it has nothing for the next 3+ years, then the team will find it difficult to compete on the ice for a couple / few years, which will result in less fans and less profit or no profit during those years. If John Paddock only acquires 3 or 4 players like he told Rod Pedersen, it is my opinion that he is taking the one leg in approach again like he did last year in order to ice a competitive product, but not one that's going to win both Championships and thus there will be resources left over for next year. It then possibly becomes a situation where the Pats were able to implement a two year cash grab and win zero Championships.

In other words, icing the best team in the country comes with a serous price tag, which I don't think the Pats are willing to pay due to the financial goals of the owners. I would love for them to prove me wrong, but at no time have I gotten the idea from the new owners that they are willing to sacrifice a couple / few down-years in order to put a strong enough team together in order to win the WHL Championship and the Memorial Cup in the same year.

Reider-- I am not exactly sure what you are so worried about. This ownership has done more positive things on the business and hockey side then the last ownership did in a lifetime. Many teams in the OHL are perennial power houses, I would much rather build something sustainable over time. Will they go for it when hosting the memorial cup, absolutely........but for heavens sake they shouldn't pull a Saskatoon Blades. Struch saw that first hand, nobody should want to repeat an overpay. As far as a cash grab goes, I have embraced the ticket increases. The entertainment value in the last 3 years has steadily improved. I am not sure how anything can beat last year, but wow would it be fun to find out.

Only a few days until the first rookie camp game, I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats7 View Post
    Reider-- I am not exactly sure what you are so worried about. This ownership has done more positive things on the business and hockey side then the last ownership did in a lifetime. Many teams in the OHL are perennial power houses, I would much rather build something sustainable over time. Will they go for it when hosting the memorial cup, absolutely........but for heavens sake they shouldn't pull a Saskatoon Blades. Struch saw that first hand, nobody should want to repeat an overpay. As far as a cash grab goes, I have embraced the ticket increases. The entertainment value in the last 3 years has steadily improved. I am not sure how anything can beat last year, but wow would it be fun to find out.

Only a few days until the first rookie camp game, I can't wait.
    I agree on most of your points. Last year was a lot of fun. It was by far the best Pats team that I've ever seen play in my lifetime and I'm grateful that John Paddock (and coaches) and the new ownership group were able to have as much success as they had. I also agree that the entertainment value has improved and it's certainly appreciated. I never mentioned anything about the Saskatoon Blades. I'm talking about the 2017-2018 Regina Pats winning Championships. It would be great to see the Pats be a long-term perennial power house, but what would be even better in the short-term is seeing the team win the WHL Championship and the Memorial Cup. The "worry" as you put it stems from the fact that I get the feeling that their main priority is to make money and not win Championships. Of course this ownership group was able to put together a Pats team that went further in the playoffs than the previous ownership group, but when it comes to WHL and Memorial Cup Championships, both ownership groups are still tied at 0 and that means something to me. It may not mean anything to you, but it does to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    The "worry" as you put it stems from the fact that I get the feeling that their main priority is to make money and not win Championships. Of course this ownership group was able to put together a Pats team that went further in the playoffs than the previous ownership group, but when it comes to WHL and Memorial Cup Championships, both ownership groups are still tied at 0 and that means something to me.
    The fact is......making money and winning championships are not mutually exclusive. Winning teams will make money. Even though they didn't win the WHL Final last year, they had a successful year both on and off the ice. I want to win a Memorial Cup as much as you, but you only need to look at Windsor from last year to say the Pats will have a decent chance. Of course a deep playoff run or WHL title would be great, but I don't want to sell everything for one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats7 View Post
    The fact is......making money and winning championships are not mutually exclusive. Winning teams will make money. Even though they didn't win the WHL Final last year, they had a successful year both on and off the ice. I want to win a Memorial Cup as much as you, but you only need to look at Windsor from last year to say the Pats will have a decent chance. Of course a deep playoff run or WHL title would be great, but I don't want to sell everything for one year.
    Beautiful thing for you guys is you already have a guaranteed 25% chance of winning the Cup. Hosting the mem Cup will be a ton of fun, I'm jealous!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.