Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: 2017-2018 Regular Season

Very well said lariver. To continue their present pace they will need more offence from players other than their top 4 players. If we start to lose a few games in the next while it will be because teams will shut down Lewis, Kaspick, Mattheos and Clague. As long as we keep playing the young guys and letting them develop. If the team continues to not be out worked and use their team speed and cut down on the selfish penalties we should be in most games. Thompson has played very well so far this year so goaltending has really not been an issue.

Another entertaining game, Vancouver got the important 1st goal of the third to make it 5-3 and it looked like we were running out of gas. Nice screen by i think ,McCartney on Brandon's last goal by Jensen. Thought Higson was having a great game until he took those Stupid penalties at the end which could have cost us the game. You have to be better than that. Missed Hooker and Baron out there tonight. Hopefully they are in tomorrow night. Thompson was stellar in net again. Coming off a great game tonight, I hope we give Victoria a game tomorrow and not come up flat , again, we were looking like a tired team in the third. It would be interesting if we could see icetime for the guys. I think Kaspick line played alot considering back to back games this weekend. I hope they have some gas left tomorrow too. Matheos maybe arguably our best offensive forward playing with Daley and McCorrister . Hmmm. At least there is powerplay. Jensen has really stepped up his game as a 20, reminds me of Erkamps 20 year old breakout but without as much offense. Another great offensive game by Clague, we should get a fortune for him at the deadline.

I think you see Baron Thompson and Hooker in tommorow, two of Sekundiak, McCallum and McCartney will sit. Victoria lost in Regina tonight so will be hungry. Big test for the team tomorrow night as a top team comes to town. Will give us some idea of how we stack up with the more elite teams. Vancouver was impressive tonight. Played hard and physical. They did not quit. Ronning is a slippery little player but I think we have a few more top end players than they do.Gotta feel sorry for Mattheos as he does not get a whole lot of help playing with # 26 and #11. Kaspick who is a very good player still has a bad habit of taking too many offensive zone penalties. Gives the other team momentum on the PP. Strange game with 3 5 on 3 PP. The WK PP looked very good tonight. Clague is sure on a roll offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by lariver View Post
    CasualFan, do you have a personal beef with Kale Clague?
    I wrote a whole paragraph on why I don't care for Clague. I don't think I can explain it much better than that. I don't deny he's having a breakout season offensively (understatement of the year candidate). And I give him credit for rebounding the way he did tonight after his embarrassment in Regina. But I still can't stand watching a defenseman that can't play defense, any more than I could watch an offensively-gifted Reid Duke repeatedly hog the puck for extended shifts last year. That's my opinion, and I don't see it changing based on what Clague has shown in his own end so far this year. He adds more offensively than he gives up defensively, but he gives up a lot defensively playing against his peers. I'm not sure how he is going to handle men next year.

On to tonight's game. Glad to see the team was able to hang on for the win. Vancouver is no joke, and full of exactly the type of players I enjoy watching. I thought for the most part our players matched their effort and intensity, but Vancouver really had us on the ropes through most of the third.

Good to see McCartney have a little more success tonight. He's been off to a bit of a slow start for someone who played a few games with the team last year. Hopefully he can continue to build on tonight's effort.

Mattheos had his best game of the year in my opinion. I'm sure he's had other games with more points. But that is the best I have seen him use his physical size to dominate his opposition. I've said before I don't really care for him. But more games like that and I'll soon be a fan.

Schneider continues to falter as I mentioned earlier. Too much rushing the puck and losing it. I see it in sixteen year olds all the time in the first half of the season, as school and the demanding practice schedule of a WHL team takes it's toll. I saw they sat him towards the end of the game and put Wytinck out with Higson. I don't have any worries about him moving forward. It would be nice to see him make the appropriate changes to his game and demonstrate a level of maturity not typically seen in players that young. But either way I'm sure it's a phase that will pass. The kid's gonna be a stud at 18 when school is finished and he can focus on hockey like the vets do now.

And finally, I'm really disappointed in the penalties Kaspick and now Higson again are taking. I've given up on the coaches doing anything about Kaspick, but it's still frustrating to see stick infraction after stick infraction at the most inopportune times from the guy with the C on his jersey. And Higson...I thought he had rounded the corner with the stupid penalties. Especially after being benched last season. I think it's time to nip it in the bud and sit him again (Maybe wait until after the Victoria game tomorrow night...we have PA and Saskatoon next week). I know Vancouver was running Thompson at the end there. But Higson is 6' 220lbs. I would think he could clear the net without taking a penalty in a game where three prior 5 on 3's had already been handed out. It's shame too because I thought he was our best defenseman in our own end that game minus the penalty that could have cost the team an important point.

Fairness to Higson I did not agree with the double minor to him and just a minor to Morrison . But that’s just how I seen it . I thought Higson had a off night . That breakaway pass Vancouver had in the 3rd he just watched it go right by him and put no effort into stopping it . Weak break out passes as well . He’s been good all year do maybe just a off night . If the Giants would have tied it I would have put that all on Kaspick . Those were two horrible penalties to take in the offensive zone in a critical time of the game . On a another note Man do I wish we had a guy like Skeoch he’s a beast . He laid some monstrous hits tonight .

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kirmel View Post
    Fairness to Higson I did not agree with the double minor to him and just a minor to Morrison . But thatís just how I seen it . I thought Higson had a off night . That breakaway pass Vancouver had in the 3rd he just watched it go right by him and put no effort into stopping it . Weak break out passes as well . Heís been good all year do maybe just a off night . If the Giants would have tied it I would have put that all on Kaspick . Those were two horrible penalties to take in the offensive zone in a critical time of the game . On a another note Man do I wish we had a guy like Skeoch heís a beast . He laid some monstrous hits tonight .

We do have a beast, unfortunately he was wearing a suit and tie again tonight. Starting lineup was suprising. Someone must see something unique.