Page 119 of 147 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1466

Thread: 2017-2018 Regular Season

  1. #1181

    Default

    The WHL powers that be must be stupider thanI think. Who would approve the insane schedules that the teams go through? Could they not figure out that the brutal 3 in 3 nights scheduling hurts not only the players in terms of fatigue and injuries but also is a detriment to recruiting bantam players who have a choice between the WHL and the NCCA? Their argument about saving the team's money does far more damage than the money saved. Get your fricken heads out of the sand!!

  2. #1182
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, AB
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    http://whl.ca/article/whl-board-of-g...regular-season

    In their defense, they did do this 5 months ago...

  3. #1183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    http://whl.ca/article/whl-board-of-g...regular-season

    In their defense, they did do this 5 months ago...
    So what? Maybe they need to rethink how they draw up the schedule. I know next year the teams will begin to play 4 games less, so hopefully this will alleviate the problem somewhat. It just irks me to see a league like the WHL look like a bunch of fools with their scheduling and very suspect reffing.

  4. #1184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booboo View Post
    So what? Maybe they need to rethink how they draw up the schedule. I know next year the teams will begin to play 4 games less, so hopefully this will alleviate the problem somewhat. It just irks me to see a league like the WHL look like a bunch of fools with their scheduling and very suspect reffing.
    What does the Q and MJHL do for scheduling? You can't compare the WHL to NCAA as far as scheduling goes, they are simply too different.

    What's the complaint with Reffing? Aside from every sports League in the world general complaint of officiating being terrible.

  5. #1185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheDUB View Post
    What does the Q and MJHL do for scheduling? You can't compare the WHL to NCAA as far as scheduling goes, they are simply too different.

    What's the complaint with Reffing? Aside from every sports League in the world general complaint of officiating being terrible.
    To begin with the Q, the OHL, and the MJHL do not have the travel issues that the WHL does. My point is that the bizarre scheduling of the WHL has an effect on player safety and on discouraging young players from committing to the league. 3 games in 3 nights or 4 games in 5 or 6 nights with hundreds of miles between cities is nuts.You are cheating fans of their team's best performances. This has to be a money saving issue for the teams, but is it really saving money when attendance is down due to crappy play brought on by fatigue. Add the oftentimes horrendous reffing that is taking hitting out if the game and it leads to lower attendance in many venues.

  6. #1186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booboo View Post
    To begin with the Q, the OHL, and the MJHL do not have the travel issues that the WHL does. My point is that the bizarre scheduling of the WHL has an effect on player safety and on discouraging young players from committing to the league. 3 games in 3 nights or 4 games in 5 or 6 nights with hundreds of miles between cities is nuts.You are cheating fans of their team's best performances. This has to be a money saving issue for the teams, but is it really saving money when attendance is down due to crappy play brought on by fatigue. Add the oftentimes horrendous reffing that is taking hitting out if the game and it leads to lower attendance in many venues.
    Seems like there is no shortage of players lining up to play, sure some choose the NCAA route over the WHL. Likewise others are choosing the WHL over the NCAA.

    You also seem rather torn with your player safety concern and officiating. I mean pick a side?

    The WHL was down 1.3% in attendance, as best I could find recorded two years ago. Hardly cause for concern. The O by example was listed as being down 7%.

    Of course the WHL should continue to try and tweak / improve, but the hockey is good, it's a developmental League after all. Part of the pro game is travel. Maybe I am just spoiled from watching the Wheaties for years ...

  7. #1187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheDUB View Post
    Seems like there is no shortage of players lining up to play, sure some choose the NCAA route over the WHL. Likewise others are choosing the WHL over the NCAA.

    You also seem rather torn with your player safety concern and officiating. I mean pick a side?

    The WHL was down 1.3% in attendance, as best I could find recorded two years ago. Hardly cause for concern. The O by example was listed as being down 7%.

    Of course the WHL should continue to try and tweak / improve, but the hockey is good, it's a developmental League after all. Part of the pro game is travel. Maybe I am just spoiled from watching the Wheaties for years ...
    Ask the WK brass how players are lining up to play in the WHL? How many prospects have they lost in the last 2 years? By my count at least 6 with more to likely show up. That seems like a high number to me.

  8. #1188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booboo View Post
    Ask the WK brass how players are lining up to play in the WHL? How many prospects have they lost in the last 2 years? By my count at least 6 with more to likely show up. That seems like a high number to me.
    High compared to what? Players are better informed today than they were in years past. All WHL teams are "losing" (Using that term loosely, as you can't lose what you never had) to an extra Midget year, or NCAA ... no rush to sign a deal anymore.

    The organization can also own some of that, at least one high pick from last year the writing was on the wall that he'd be headed South. Granted they could be mislead by players / parents, but nothing that every other team isn't facing.

  9. #1189
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, AB
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booboo View Post
    So what? Maybe they need to rethink how they draw up the schedule.
    I have news for you, the schedule isn't created by a human. It is created by a computer algorithm to cram as many games into the allotted time, taking travel distances into consideration, then tinkered with a little bit by people. Whether you like the schedule or not is irrelevant, as it is the only way to cram that many games into that period of time. Dropping four games per team goes a long way when trying to create a schedule with as few "three games in three nights" as possible.

  10. #1190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I have news for you, the schedule isn't created by a human. It is created by a computer algorithm to cram as many games into the allotted time, taking travel distances into consideration, then tinkered with a little bit by people. Whether you like the schedule or not is irrelevant, as it is the only way to cram that many games into that period of time. Dropping four games per team goes a long way when trying to create a schedule with as few "three games in three nights" as possible.
    Glad u r so smart. I m not worthy. Do u work for the league? Look at some of the league schedule and tell me it makes sense?? Good night Red Deer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •