Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 Regular Season

Hextall just said in an interview "I don't suspect that's going to happen" when asked about Patrick getting sent back to Brandon. Unfortunate considering how huge that would have been for the wheatkings organization. That being said, I don't know how I feel about Patrick's time in Brandon. Sure he was a big part of our championship team. But he had a ****ty attitude, wasn't liked by most teammates, wasn't very friendly to the fans, thought he was too good for this league since he entered it. In the future when I look back on this more recent era(last 10 or so years) the best wheatkings that will come to mind will be guys like schenn,stone,Calvert,ferland,and hawryluk... Those guys are the type of players that always made me proud to be a wheatkings fan. They played With passion and heart, and were loved by fans because of not just the impression they made on the ice but off the ice as well. They were proud to be a wheatking. Nolan might be the best wheatking we've seen in a while on paper, but his self centered arrogant attitude won't be missed at all. To top it off... He recently deleted every single picture off of his Instagram of him in a wheatking uniform, including the famous Brandon sun front-page cover of him hoisting the Ed chynowth. Doesn't surprise me at all considering the "I f*ckin hope not" response he gave my buddy in the summer when asked if he thinks he'll get sent back to Brandon this year.
    Last edited by denim_dan; 11-11-2017 at 06:33 AM.

I agree I do not think he wanted to come back to Brandon, but we could have accommodated him by trading him for a number of assets. I'm not sure what Hextall is thinking in keeping him all season. Patrick needs another year of playing injury free and playing huge minutes in Junior, the World Juniors etc. He needs to strengthen up to be able to handle the NHL pace. If he was a top 6 forward now, I could see keeping him but not if he isn't. The problem may be the Flyers are not convinced he should be in NHL but are maybe hesitant at sending him to Junior as he does not have much to prove there. A stint in the AHL would be perfect, but not possible under the present agreement between the NHL and the Junior leagues.

I see there is now a post on the team's website that he had off-season knee surgery...how convenient. lol.

To be honest, if hextall is 100 percent sure on keeping Patrick then it shocks me as well. Considering a lot of things. Hextall said many times before the season Nolan will only stay if he can make the flyers significantly better; 1 goal, 3 points in 9 games is hardly anything to get excited about. As booboo mentioned with the injury problems it especially doesn't make sense rushing a kid who can't seem to play without getting injured and has struggled immensely with injuries the past 2 seasons. Taking a pretty big risk by having him play against men as opposed to kids. Him staying in the NHL this year just doesn't make much sense to me when I think of it from a flyers perspective. Only real reason I say it would be huge for Brandon to get him is because of the haul we would get from Regina or Moose Jaw. Our young guys are top notch and would be cool to build around them for another championship run in a few years.

Watching Team White play the Czechs in the bronze medal game of the U17 tournament and am scratching my head watching this team yesterday and again today----very little talent. Cannot control the puck--- very easily knocked off the puck---almost no offence.I have watched 4 periods and am not impressed at all with even one player on White. Got blitzed by the US and down 1-0 to the Czechs after one period. Schneider is on this team and has played only ok. Barlage of SC also on this team but he looks slow out there--good with the puck though. Not sure why McCartney or Hooker could not make one of the three teams after watching some of the forwards on White who look hopeless. Really not convinced the guys who call the shots with Hockey Canada know what they are doing.

Weigleitner scratched tonight----strange scratching a 19 yr old over the 16's and 17's?... Thoughts?? Injury or healthy??

1-0 in the third for WK. Sure been having trouble scoring goals lately. Where has the offence gone? The team is sure not playing as well as the first 10 games or so. Weinger scores into an empty net. That's the only way he can score?? Barely beat Saskatoon tonight at home. Not sure how we will be able to beat the other teams in the East who are all better than Saskatoon. Out shot 37-24 by the Blades. The team hasn't played well after the two long breaks the past 2 weeks. Need to play more I guess.
    Last edited by booboo; 11-11-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by booboo View Post
    Weigleitner scratched tonight----strange scratching a 19 yr old over the 16's and 17's?... Thoughts?? Injury or healthy??

1-0 in the third for WK. Sure been having trouble scoring goals lately. Where has the offence gone? The team is sure not playing as well as the first 10 games or so. Weinger scores into an empty net. That's the only way he can score?? Barely beat Saskatoon tonight at home. Not sure how we will be able to beat the other teams in the East who are all better than Saskatoon. Out shot 37-24 by the Blades. The team hasn't played well after the two long breaks the past 2 weeks. Need to play more I guess.

In other news both Thompson's played very well. I think Bubba needs to play with high fire power players!!

I know every fan thinks it's smart for us to trade clague, kaspick ect. And As much as i realize Kelly doesn't play a huge part in this team this year as he has in the past 25 years, looking at the history of this club and how they have handled themselves in years like this one... It's highly unlikely we unload players, unless Regina gets desperate and offers us their future for the next five years. Yes Armstrong is the GM now but obviously he doesn't make a decision without Kelly's approval, this organization is Kelly's and he'll never let anyone screw it up. The years that we traded schenn, ferland, ect. We absolutely robbed Saskatoon. Anyone would be dumb to not accept those trades. But when has Kelly ever committed to being a seller during a successful season? Brandon has been a mediocre-barely above .500 team lots throughout the years and we've acquired guys like Josh Harding, sundher, Christensen Ect. When we were barely considered contenders. This year we are one of the better teams in the east and I guarantee they are looking at acquiring depth over selling guys like clague. There is a reason Brandon has been one of the more successful organizations in the whl and There's a reason that after a few championship runs we are still competitive and that's because we have an owner who knows what he's doing. We don't need to 'rebuild' like P.A, Moose Jaw. We have great 16 year olds every year that give us hope for the future. Why would they want to write this year off to just add to an already talented 16-core? The year we drafted clague, Lewis, kaspick was one of our better bantam drafts, why waste it? because we may not be as stacked as 2016 doesn't necessarily mean we have to jump the gun and sell everything. I feel like a broken record saying these things but there is a very, very low chance this team is selling, unless Regina offers them something that's just way too good to pass up. It's just not how this organization runs. It's a small market that benefits huge off not going through rebuilds. We got a winning team with all-star players.. A depth trade or two and we are a legit contender. Gotta love being a wheatking fan... So much of us take it for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by denim_dan View Post
    I know every fan thinks it's smart for us to trade clague, kaspick ect. And As much as i realize Kelly doesn't play a huge part in this team this year as he has in the past 25 years, looking at the history of this club and how they have handled themselves in years like this one... It's highly unlikely we unload players, unless Regina gets desperate and offers us their future for the next five years. Yes Armstrong is the GM now but obviously he doesn't make a decision without Kelly's approval, this organization is Kelly's and he'll never let anyone screw it up. The years that we traded schenn, ferland, ect. We absolutely robbed Saskatoon. Anyone would be dumb to not accept those trades. But when has Kelly ever committed to being a seller during a successful season? Brandon has been a mediocre-barely above .500 team lots throughout the years and we've acquired guys like Josh Harding, sundher, Christensen Ect. When we were barely considered contenders. This year we are one of the better teams in the east and I guarantee they are looking at acquiring depth over selling guys like clague. There is a reason Brandon has been one of the more successful organizations in the whl and There's a reason that after a few championship runs we are still competitive and that's because we have an owner who knows what he's doing. We don't need to 'rebuild' like P.A, Moose Jaw. We have great 16 year olds every year that give us hope for the future. Why would they want to write this year off to just add to an already talented 16-core? The year we drafted clague, Lewis, kaspick was one of our better bantam drafts, why waste it? because we may not be as stacked as 2016 doesn't necessarily mean we have to jump the gun and sell everything. I feel like a broken record saying these things but there is a very, very low chance this team is selling, unless Regina offers them something that's just way too good to pass up. It's just not how this organization runs. It's a small market that benefits huge off not going through rebuilds. We got a winning team with all-star players.. A depth trade or two and we are a legit contender. Gotta love being a wheatking fan... So much of us take it for granted.
    We will see if you're singing the same song come early Jan.? Why did we not cash in while we had some assets other teams wanted?? We stayed the course finished 4th in the East, played MH again in the crossover as we were a wildcard team, and had 2 games in Dauphin and end of season. I'd like to drink out of your cup believe me but I don't see it that way. The chance to retool for the future doesn't come along very often where there are probably 6 teams looking to upgrade so the returns could be very substantial.
    Regina just obtained Cale Fleury from Kootenay for Smart, Muir, and a 2nd and 6th pick. Wow! C'mon MJ what will you give us for Clague?? Should be more than what the Ice got for Fleury as Clague is better than Fleury. Let"s go Armstrong!!
    Last edited by booboo; 11-13-2017 at 11:50 AM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by denim_dan View Post
    I can't see them trading Lewis or Kaspick--both Brandon kids, with a reasonable chance that both are back as 20's next season.

They are going to get a ton of offers for Clague, from pretty much all contenders: Regina, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Portland, Tri-City, Spokane, possibly even Vancouver, and maybe Victoria. Some of the offers might be tough to pass up.

Today's Regina-Kootenay deal is a bit of a strange one. Some people talk up Fleury as though he is a special type of player, but his stats with Kootenay (I know, I know) have never supported that assertion. Regina paid an awful lot for what might be a lateral move in regard to their defence--Fleury in, Smart out. If someone offers a similar deal for Clague (although obviously with slightly higher quality pieces), it may be in Brandon's best interest to take the deal.