Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 Regular Season

I totally agree with that’s assessment Crush . It’s not giving up its retooling and still being competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by CrushKillDestroy View Post
    I can't see them trading Lewis or Kaspick--both Brandon kids, with a reasonable chance that both are back as 20's next season.

They are going to get a ton of offers for Clague, from pretty much all contenders: Regina, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Portland, Tri-City, Spokane, possibly even Vancouver, and maybe Victoria. Some of the offers might be tough to pass up.

Today's Regina-Kootenay deal is a bit of a strange one. Some people talk up Fleury as though he is a special type of player, but his stats with Kootenay (I know, I know) have never supported that assertion. Regina paid an awful lot for what might be a lateral move in regard to their defence--Fleury in, Smart out. If someone offers a similar deal for Clague (although obviously with slightly higher quality pieces), it may be in Brandon's best interest to take the deal.
    Lewis and Kaspick have both signed EL contracts with NHL teams. Not likely either is back in Junior next year. Will play in AHL likely. Let"s get on while the gettings good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirmel View Post
    I totally agree with that’s assessment Crush . It’s not giving up its retooling and still being competitive.
    It's being proactive and realistic. Are we going to beat any of the top 3 eastern teams ? Highly unlikely. So what realistically should we do? Keep our top players(who are very unlikely to be back next year) or trade them so we can set the team up for years. I realize that trading those players admits tossing in the towel for this year, but so what.We need to look at the big picture and what is team going to like 2, 3 and 4 years from now. What really sticks in my mind is the year Regina did not trade Eberle and Tuebert for a boatload of assets and how did that turn out for them. Another example is how the Schenn trade set us up for years. It's not every year the team has high end talent other teams covet.

I’m not disagreeing with that logic but they are struggling at getting get paying fans outside of the season ticket base now . What do you think happens if there getting there asses handed to them every nigh in a tough east division . I agree if they tank between now and the deadline then yea sell all 3 guys . But I just don’t think you can say right now that’s what they should do .

Quote Originally Posted by Kirmel View Post
    I’m not disagreeing with that logic but they are struggling at getting get paying fans outside of the season ticket base now . What do you think happens if there getting there asses handed to them every nigh in a tough east division . I agree if they tank between now and the deadline then yea sell all 3 guys . But I just don’t think you can say right now that’s what they should do .
    I certainly meant at the trade deadline not now.

That sure seems like a lot to give up for Fleury. I hope he plays a lot better on a Memorial Cup team than his brother did. I wonder what that does for the market for Clague? One would think it drives it up, as he has certainly outperformed Fleury this season (I also was sorely disappointed in Fleury when he was here). But it does take one main bidder out of the equation. And that deal may set the price too high for Clague to be moved. Maybe the Pats tried to get Clague but the team isn't really that interested to get rid of him.

On a side note, I'm curious to see how Fleury does being moved down to the second line behind Mahura. That was the 20 million dollar question when I was thinking of Clague going there. Someone's going to get a bruised ego and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Agree the price for Clague just went up significantly and not sure if there are teams willing to pony up. Same goes for Bean from Calgary. Far too early to make a blockbuster trade for the WK. We need to wait and see where the team is just before the trade deadline in early Jan. and then decide what direction we take.

Brandon has obviously had tons of offers for clague as joe mentioned earlier. Regina got fluery because Brandon wouldn't give clague up. Booboo everyone understands you want the team to sell, and I do too. But it's just not how the wheatkings organization runs. Whenever Brandon has had a team that could potentially win a few rounds, they have never sold. Last year Brandon had a good team but because of lack of chemistry/injury problems they were swept by a tigers team that simply just outworked them. They never sold last year when they were good so what makes you think they are going to sell this year when they are older and better. It's just not happening unless John paddock steps down and Lorne mollekin takes over then yeah we probably bend Lorne over for every single prospect/pick they have. It's gonna take a massive return for the WK's to give up anyone good.

And before you bring up the schenn trade... Look at the return we got. Ridiculous. Kelly hated having to trade schenn but it made no sense to turn that deal down.

We will know at the end of Dec where the team stands on the trade or no trade. I think Bdn should do what Regina did in Paddocks first year, trade the top guys away at the deadline, but get enough help back along with prospects and picks to maintain a wild card spot and get one round of experience in the playoffs for the young guys. But if Bdn maintain their .600 pace through to the deadline, they will find it hard to trade away, I just really hope they don't give away promising youth in an attempt to beat out MJ/SC/Pats etc. I still hope Patrick agrees to be sent back to a contender (we know he won't come back here) and we can at least gain some assets from that
    Higson has sure been a horse this season, been impressed with him. Good to see McCartney start to figure things out. I'm really not sure what they will do with the O/A situation when Shearer is back, I imagine they will start playing him when Clague leaves for WJ? And I just want to say when Baron Thompson plays like a big man, he is so effective, but when he starts trying to dipsy doodle and be a skill guy, he is totally ineffective. Play like he did against the blades, and he is a huge force. Interested to see if the team plays a better game tonight against the hitmen, hope so anyway!!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.