Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 17-18 Season Discussion

I am pleased to see Fahey and Svenson doing well and getting a call up. It gives me some reassurance that our 2001 group has some players that can play in this league.

Another possibility is that we may need some extra forwards as we head towards the trade deadline.

I agree that 99 forward group needs to be strengthened, especially as we appear to be building around the 99/00 defence.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb View Post
    Another possibility is that we may need some extra forwards as we head towards the trade deadline.
    They traded Dmytriw today, so that covers one of them, the other is to fill the void left when Reichel goes to the WJHC.

I agree that 99 forward group needs to be strengthened, especially as we appear to be building around the 99/00 defence.
    The whole group as a whole really. Alexeyev isn't going to be here as an overage player, and unless Pratt gets drafted, I can't imagine that he will play out his career here as an overage player, unless he is actually planning to go to university in Canada after the WHL. Unless he gets about 500% better, Sass won't even be in the WHL by the end of the season, and I am still not 100% sold on Mackenzie. That leaves Sakowich and possibly Mackenzie as overage players in 2019-2020.

The loss to Brandon last night was very disheartening. Sutter even sounded more hurt than mad on the post game interview. I thought the first 2 periods were as good of hockey as I’ve seen all year. Then came the third period. Brandon’s top guys are truly elite.

On the positive side Johnson, Pawlenchuk and McCarty looked really good. Austen Schellenberg brought a lot of energy and I liked his play. I don’t think he played much in the third period though. Fahey looked like he can play in this league once he adjusts to the speed.

On a different topic, I have always wondered why the Rebels players bantam draft info is not shown on the whl or rebels websites?

There is this --> http://whl.ca/draft

Oh! You mean on the roster page!

With the release of Flaman, pretty much every decision Sutter has made as a GM to better this team this year has been reversed. Everyone that was brought in as Sutter thought they had more to give than what they had shown have been traded or released as they didn't pan out. All the bottom end guys that Sutter kept as the young guys weren't ready yet are now gone so the young guys can play. Pretty much all that remains of the trades is McCarty.
    I know he has found a few diamonds in the rough in years past, but there hasn't been one of these ...he'll play better as a Rebel... that has panned out for years. Will be interesting to see how things end up with the let's develop our young guys strategy.

There will be a few more moves made yet before the deadline, to make the team younger. The team stayed competitive after the Memorial Cup, but they are finally starting to feel the impact of the roster moves made that season. It is going to be a tough few years for them now.

Rebels trade Zablocki for Tarzwell plus a 2nd. In 2019 and conditional 3rd in 2020.
    This trade looks good from where the rebels stand at the moment. I really like Zablocki but lately he has lost his scoring touch. I don’t know to much about Tarzwell other than what I have read which indicates he has decent scoring, good size and fits the age group that the rebels are building around. This looks to be a good trade for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb View Post
    Rebels trade Zablocki for Tarzwell plus a 2nd. In 2019 and conditional 3rd in 2020.
    This trade looks good from where the rebels stand at the moment. I really like Zablocki but lately he has lost his scoring touch. I don’t know to much about Tarzwell other than what I have read which indicates he has decent scoring, good size and fits the age group that the rebels are building around. This looks to be a good trade for both teams.
    I am never a fan of the hometown boys to be honest, there always seems to be too many distractions for them at home. But we will see how it goes! He definitely fits into the age group that they are looking for, and has decent size. The second round pick is from 2019, which is a season that the Hurricanes could take a step back, with the departure of Skinner and a few others.

He's a good kid who comes from a good family. He is no where near like DeWitt. I know his father quite well and I think this will turn out to be a decent trade. Section N I understand your concern about hometown boys but lets see how this one turns out. There is definitely more trades to come.