Thread: 17-18 Season Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 17-18 Season Discussion

Well, here we are, on to another new season! I wasn't too shocked to see them go with a roster (for now) with no underage players, but rather a handful of 'experienced' 17 year olds (experienced in that some of them have been to 4 or 5 Rebel training camps already). Also wasn't too surprised to see Roy reassigned, with the addition of Dmytriw. More speed, a bit more skill and a good chance he will be around as an overage next season.

I also can't say that I was shocked to see Fancy reassigned. It sure creates an interesting situation for next season, where they will have a veteran starter in Lamb, and two younger goaltenders battling for the backup spot again. For me, I don't think hat the reassignment of Fancy bodes very well for him in the future, as he will be battling a 19 year old with two seasons under his belt, and an 18 year old with a full season under his belt. It may be a matter of one of the other two playing themselves out of a job at this point.

I was sure refreshing to watch all of the players that returned from NHL camps still looking like they had any interest in playing in the WHL this season! Petrovic was probably the last player in Red Deer to come back from an NHL training camp, and not take until after the trade deadline to start putting any effort into their game. Pawlenchuk was all over the ice last night, and looked dangerous on every shift.

Interesting that the Rebels had three natural centers dressed last night, but only two of them were playing center. Didn't seem to affect them too much, but it will be interesting to see how that plays out moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I also can't say that I was shocked to see Fancy reassigned. It sure creates an interesting situation for next season, where they will have a veteran starter in Lamb, and two younger goaltenders battling for the backup spot again. For me, I don't think hat the reassignment of Fancy bodes very well for him in the future, as he will be battling a 19 year old with two seasons under his belt, and an 18 year old with a full season under his belt. It may be a matter of one of the other two playing themselves out of a job at this point.
    A good start to the season this weekend! Watched the third period online Sunday, the team sure is quick this yr. Edm might have had 3 scoring chances the entire last half of the game.

I'm sure Fancy's reassignment had more to do with him being 16 and not likely playing more than 20 games if he stayed. Atleast he'll be a starter in Midget AAA, assuming in Lethbridge?? This doesn't come across as a league that is overly healthy for a 16 year old netminder, IMO. On top of normal rookie nerves and pressures, you dont get to the luxury of being put in "situations to succeed", such as a 4th liner or 3rd pairing d man. If you're starting, albeit often against lesser opponents, you are very much at the mercy of your team's effort level. If we don't see him next year, then maybe he hasn't turned out, but I don't think there is much to read into right now.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4 View Post
    I'm sure Fancy's reassignment had more to do with him being 16 and not likely playing more than 20 games if he stayed.
    You are probably right. I guess that I figured when they brought him up for the last month of last season to cover Lamb's injury, that he was a lock for the backup job this season.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    You are probably right. I guess that I figured when they brought him up for the last month of last season to cover Lamb's injury, that he was a lock for the backup job this season.
    Probably same as Sutter's comments about the other 16 year olds that were sent back. They need to play and be stars on their teams....Fancy is probably the same. More interesting goaltending battle will be to see if Petersen can play himself onto this team while Lamb's thumb heals. Can't see how Petersen is on this team to start the season if Lamb isn't injured. Especially with the amount of decent 20 year olds that still have to find spots with other teams. If Petersen is lights out the first 20 games, then what do the Rebels do? Run with Lamb and Petersen again this year?

I agree that it was really refreshing to see the guys come back from NHL camps and actually look like they cared. Pawlenchuk for sure, but also Hagel. Seemed like it took him 20 games to get going last year but he was all over the place Saturday night. Maybe the only one that may have been suffering from the sent back lows was Zablocki as he looked like he was a step behind and certainly not leading the charge like he was end of last season. One Edmonton goal was completely his fault and the cross checking penalty to the face was completely bone headed. Surprised he didn't end up with more than 2 minutes for that.

McCarty has been huge. Pawlenchuk, Hagel and Reichel have been good. Zablocki and Bains need to really pick it up. Sutter thought he had 4 lines that could score but have seen nothing from the 17 year olds yet. Would love to see them find some offensive flair. Still think Fahey showed enough to be on this team.

Team has been in every game so far, just ran out of gas against a very talented Regina team that now has all their top players back. Look forward to what should be a competitive team this year. Not sure they still dont need a rock solid, experienced shut down defenseman. Alexeyev is a big loss. Hopefully he isnt out to long. Kid had such a tough go last year, would be nice to see him play in his draft year.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Zablocki and Bains need to really pick it up.
    Agree about Zablocki, Bains has forechecked and killed penalties well, and hasn't made very many mistakes that cost his team on the scoreboard. That is about as much as can be expected of a player playing a third line role on a Brent Sutter team.

Sutter thought he had 4 lines that could score but have seen nothing from the 17 year olds yet. Would love to see them find some offensive flair.
    Would be strange for him to say something like that, given the system that he has his "third line" play, and the amount of ice time that his "fourth line" sees. They will chip in here and there, but it won't be a big departure from last season.

Still think Fahey showed enough to be on this team.
    He reminds me a lot of Schellenberg last season--probably enough skill to play on the team, and could stand to get a bit stronger, but just caught up in the numbers game.

Team has been in every game so far, just ran out of gas against a very talented Regina team that now has all their top players back.
    They couldn't have been looking forward to that game on the schedule, third game in as many nights, and against one of the powerhouse teams in the east division.

Look forward to what should be a competitive team this year. Not sure they still dont need a rock solid, experienced shut down defenseman.
    None to be had, at least without a big price tag. I would really settle for just an average shut-down defenseman It could happen closer to the deadline, as there is a very good chance that they will have an open overage spot, and could be without Alexeyev for most of the season again. I thought that we were going to see an overage depth centerman finding his way to the team, given that the team only has 3 centers, but so far Sutter has only played two of them at center, and the wingers that have been taking draws have been doing ok at it, and are all defensively sound enough to cover the extra defensive responsibilities that are asked of a center.

Alexeyev is a big loss. Hopefully he isnt out to long. Kid had such a tough go last year, would be nice to see him play in his draft year.
    I saw the play that he was injured on, and have to say that it was 'troubling'. It didn't seem like a hard or dirty hit, I would barely even consider it a 'stiff check', but he was immediately in trouble, and required some assistance to get off the ice. Looked like a collarbone or shoulder issue. But, that is why they carry so many extra players, wouldn't be a Rebel team if a key player wasn't out for a big chunk of the season!