Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 17-18 Season Discussion

I'm really scratching my head at what embarrassment of riches Sutter was seeing in his defensive corps to facilitate trading Freadrich. Sakowich is steady, Sass has improved, but Herauf makes himself noticeable in a negative way every game. He gets run over way too often for his size and looks allergic to the puck out there. It's a bit of an adventure whenever it's on his stick. Schuldhaus hasn't been great, he seems to go tape-to-tape with an opponent on a breakout pass at least twice a game. Barteaux is not a force in his own end, and as of tonight Sutter is running 5 forwards on the top powerplay unit, so hard to argue that he's been a positive factor there either. Donohoe is completely behind the speed of the game at this level. Injuries happen and that's why you can't have too many good defensemen on your club, so that's not an excuse. With Alexeyev out, Freadrich would be a top pair d man on this team.

So basically, Sutter swapped a guy who would probably be the #2 or (at worst) #3 d-man on this club for a bottom 6 forward who has great speed and....not much else. Not sure what untapped offensive upside Sutter thought he was seeing with this kid, his puck skills can't keep up with his foot speed. Freadrich put up more points than him last year and nothing's changed this year so far.

As an aside, wow, what an ugly game that was tonight.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 10-14-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Sass has improved, but Herauf makes himself noticeable in a negative way every game
    Sass has improved? In what way? He is completely invisible on the boards, weak in front of the net, and hasn't been moving the puck as well as he did in the first half of last season. I actually have a hard time picking which one is worse between him and Herauf, but it is probably Sass. Both have made a number of glaring mistakes in the first ten games that cause the puck to be in their own net, but I am a bit more critical of Sass, because he is a year older than Herauf, and has a lot more ice time under his belt (and SHOULD be improving).

Schuldhaus hasn't been great,
    Schuldhaus has easily been the best defenseman, in the absence of Alexeyev. He is physical on the boards, rarely gets beat wide, and plays tough in front of the net, and makes a decent first pass. If you think Schuldhaus hasn't been great, then you clearly haven't been actually watching any of the games.

Barteaux is not a force in his own end
    No, and he probably never will be. He wins the odd board battle, and is a pretty effortless skater, but there have been some growing pains with him as he gets more ice time for sure. He isn't as useless in his own end as some of the other "defensemen like that", but you are right, he is certainly not a force in his own end.

Donohoe is completely behind the speed of the game at this level.
    I am going to reserve judgement on a rookie who has played seven games, and one to four minutes a game in each of those seven games.

All so he could get a bottom 6 forward with wheels and not much else in his game back.
    There is a pretty healthy crop of decent 98's in the league, moving forward, so Freaderich certainly isn't going to play in this league as an overage player. Sutter makes that trade so that they won't have to have ice three raw rookie defensemen next season.

And I don't want to hear that some of these guys are playing in situations they aren't ready for because of Alexeyev being hurt. Injuries happen and that's why you can't have too many good defensemen on your club.
    You can actually have too many defensemen, because if you carry too many, they won't get enough ice time and will just leave the team. I don't think that all of the defensemen are playing in situations that they are not ready for, but I do think that two or three of the defensemen are just being overplayed, due to the injury to Alexeyev.

With Alexeyev out, Freadrich would be a top pair d man on this team. Not to mention he's got twice as many points as Dmytriw so far this year and had more than him last year too...
    Dmytriw was brought in to kill penalties, replacing the injured Dawson Martin, who was brought in the year before to do the same. Freadrich is a one-dimensional defenseman. If you are basing a player's value entirely on their point production, and completely ignoring all of the other aspects that they bring to the table, then you are correct. Shame on Sutter for not loading up all 4 lines with 50 goal scorers!!!

Freadrich just happens to be playing on a powerhouse team, while Dmytriw is playing on a rebuilding team. Neither Freaderich or Dmytriw are dominant players, nor are either of them ever going to be dominant players--one just happens to be playing on a better team this season. The Rebels were top-heavy with small, puck moving defensemen, so they traded the oldest one, one that they didn't believe would be back next season.

I honestly have no clue why you post here when you make it obvious year after year that the only opinion you value is your own. It's like you just want an audience to listen to your thoughts on the Red Deer Rebels, because you certainly aren't interested in actually discussing anything that doesn't conform to your own personal thoughts, unless it's an opportunity to slip a condescending remark in.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 10-14-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    I honestly have no clue why you post here when you make it obvious year after year that the only opinion you value is your own.
    I post here, because I have followed WHL hockey for the last 28 years, and have a good understanding for how things work on AND off the ice.

While we are being honest, some of what you post makes a lot of sense, some of it makes no sense, and some of what you say on here is very over-simplified, and would only work in a world where the players have no parents/agents.

Would you have been happier if I had just agreed with you, that the team shouldn't worry about roster management from year to year at all, and just carry ten defensemen, and try to find ice time for all of them?

It has nothing to do with simply wanting anyone to agree with me, and nothing to do with just a single reply. As I said, this has been ongoing for years. Its clear that you feel that you are "the" authority on Rebels hockey and your viewpoints are gospel. It seems like you are here solely for the purpose of "setting the record straight" in your eyes, rather than to have any sort of meaningful discussion about this team, and when your opinions are challenged, you generally respond with derision and condescension. Well, four years later, dealing with your attitude just to talk Rebels hockey isn't really worth it. Take it easy.

Sorry you feel that way. I hope you find what you are looking for somewhere else on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post

Dmytriw was brought in to kill penalties, replacing the injured Dawson Martin, who was brought in the year before to do the same. Freadrich is a one-dimensional defenseman. If you are basing a player's value entirely on their point production, and completely ignoring all of the other aspects that they bring to the table, then you are correct. Shame on Sutter for not loading up all 4 lines with 50 goal scorers!!!

Freadrich just happens to be playing on a powerhouse team, while Dmytriw is playing on a rebuilding team. Neither Freaderich or Dmytriw are dominant players, nor are either of them ever going to be dominant players--one just happens to be playing on a better team this season. The Rebels were top-heavy with small, puck moving defensemen, so they traded the oldest one, one that they didn't believe would be back next season.
    Not that I agree with Calcheyup all the time but I am surprised that if you follow and like to analyze the Rebels so much that you wouldn't read the articles on the Rebels website. Sutter himself said when this trade was made that Dmytriw was brought in because he was a highly skilled guy that played on a really good team and found himself in a checking role due to the depth in front of him. He anticipated that given the chance he would be an offensive guy that could play a top 6 role. He started him on the top line and within 8 games he is a bottom six guy just like he was with his previous team. I stated before, this team doesn't need anymore bottom six guys that will always be bottom six guys. As for having a guy on the roster for strictly killing penalties, that spot is already taken by Bains. Other than killing penalties, he has offered nothing else to this club. I called for his spot to be replaced with one of the energentic 16 year olds and still think it was a mistake it wasn't.
    Same as when I was called out on saying Sutter said he had a team where all four lines would score. Go look at the article. There it is
    I have been pretty vocal on here about Sutters message not getting through and the players not wanting to play for him over the years. I hope that isn't what we seen against Saskatoon this early in the season or it is going to be a long year. Will be interesting to see how they respond tonight but that effort last weekend was completely uninspired with many players looking like they didn't give a damn. All against a team that played the night before and hasn't shown themselves to be that good early in the season.