Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 17-18 Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    and can someone tell me why the Rebels need a 20 year old forward that gets 1 point every 5 games?
    They added Flaman because point production doesn't cover every facet of the game (though he did have 6 points in 7 games so far this season), and they have only had two centermen since the start of the season, and a third that hasn't been in the lineup very much at all. A few of the wingers that they have had taking the draw have held their own on faceoffs, but have struggled at times with the backchecking aspect of a centerman's role.

This move also leads me to believe that a winger is on their way out, hopefully packaged along with a certain 'defenseman' for some more defensive help.

Also, he was free! Hehe

And Lowry reassigned, back to 3 centers.

I am going to cut them a bit of slack, as that was a very good Portland team they played tonight, but if the Rebels lose to the Hitmen tomorrow, it is time to blow things up.

Zablocki - awful. I mentioned before, some time in the press box to think about what is required of an NHL drafted player might be in order. Not only has the coaching staff not done this, but they have rewarded his incredibly bad play with the first minute and a half of every power play. Another penalty tonight that was of the "pull your head out so you don't suffocate" kind. Awful.

Pawlenchuk has been okay, but not meeting the 20 year old captain of a young team requirements.

Hagel effort has been okay most games but scoring touch has disappeared.

Mentioned before the game how good Johnson and Pratt have been of late. Completely invisible tonight.

Young defence is still making lots of mistakes and bad decisions. That is what is going to happen without that steady rock on the back end. A wish we requested and wasn't granted.

Flaman - giving okay minutes. Has a little offensive ability, but not enough and plays way to soft to be a 20 year old playing in this league.

Mackenzie - a big upgrade from Bains for 4th line minutes, but I also thought Bains shouldn't be on this team to start the season.

Honestly, I think it is time for Sutter to just focus on ownership and GM duties. Once again, his top players, just like so many years before this, are not willing to play for him. I had to laugh at the Dmytriw interview where he says how upbeat all the players are in practise. They have lost 9 of their last 10. I am sorry but upbeat is not what they should be. They should be angry, they should be looking at themselves and their teammates and demanding more.

Grasping at straws but maybe a new anthem singer is required. Someone that actually gets the players and fans fired up for the game as opposed to just going through the motions like many of the Rebels players are.

I don't know but if the Rebels are going to continue to put up the losses and expect the fans to go home thinking they got a good game night experience out of the evening, the least they could do is have every till at the ice cream concession open so that we don't have to stand in line from the start of the intermission till 3 minutes into the second period like I had to tonight.

Not only has the coaching staff not done this, but they have rewarded his incredibly bad play with the first minute and a half of every power play.
    This is a thing that always bothers me as well, but it is the politics of the game today, gotta keep the NHL overlords happy...

Pawlenchuk has been okay, but not meeting the 20 year old captain of a young team requirements.
    I don't think an overage player is required to do much more than he has done this season, Captain or not.

Hagel effort has been okay most games but scoring touch has disappeared.
    Hagel is certainly in an interesting situation. While individual players on the team have surprised me, the team isn't really any better or worse than I thought they would be at this point (maybe just in different ways). I guess I sort of assumed that given that he is NHL drafted, capable of 30ish goals and 70 points, and has Memorial Cup experience, and that he isn't returning next season, that there was a pretty good chance that Regina would deal for him at the deadline.

Fast forward three months, and he is on pace for below 20 goals. I no longer think that Regina would be interested, and I question whether Buffalo is even going to sign him at this point.

Mentioned before the game how good Johnson and Pratt have been of late. Completely invisible tonight.
    I thought that Johnson had a pretty good game, but I agree on Pratt last night, didn't even know he was playing.

Young defence is still making lots of mistakes and bad decisions. That is what is going to happen without that steady rock on the back end. A wish we requested and wasn't granted.
    I have to admit, after a dozen or so games I was worried about a number of the young defensemen. But I have noticed recent improvement from some of them, notably Herauf and Donahoe. We still have one defenseman that continues to put up points for the other team on a consistent basis, and I see that Herauf, who has quite a bit less offensive instincts, has recently passed him on the scoresheet...

Flaman - giving okay minutes. Has a little offensive ability, but not enough and plays way to soft to be a 20 year old playing in this league.
    He is on this team because he was (almost) free, and has a high level of work ethic. The only expectations that I really have for an overage player, is that they work hard, lead by example, and instill positive qualities in the younger players.

Mackenzie - a big upgrade from Bains for 4th line minutes, but I also thought Bains shouldn't be on this team to start the season.
    'big upgrade' may be overstating things, but is certainly a vastly different player than Bains. Bains was one of the players on the Rebels whose development had certainly stalled, and younger players in the roster were overtaking him.

Honestly, I think it is time for Sutter to just focus on ownership and GM duties.
    When Sutter brought in a respected Head Coach in Jeff Truitt to be his associate coach in the years leading up to their Memorial cup bid and subsequent hosting, I guess I sort of assumed that once the tournament was over, that he would step out of the coaching role, and focus on the front office duties. Truitt is a quality coach, I just hope that if Sutter has this move in his head as part of his future plans, that he makes it before Truitt moves on to a Head Coaching job elsewhere.

While the team doesn't have the best record, they have mostly been competitive, and been in a lot of close games, and outworked some pretty good teams in the process. What they really seem to be lacking this season is chemistry. They have some pretty decent young depth players that have played well defensively, and a few skilled players on the top lines that put up points with some individual efforts, but overall they don't really have a forward line or a defensive tandem that I have looked at this year and though 'Wow! These guys really play together well as a unit!'.

Hello, this is my first time posting. I enjoy reading all the posts here and would like to see more Rebels discussion. I am a season ticket holder and fan of the Rebels and of the whl in general. I don’t have any inside information so these are simply my thoughts and may be wrong more times than right.

I thought the rebels would be a little more competitive this year especially due to the weakness of the central division. I also thought our top line would be able to dominate the weaker teams. After watching the game yesterday, as a fan I would be in favor of selling some of the Rebels more valuable players and focusing on 2 years down the road and beyond.

The players I think would bring the most returns are Hagel, Zablocki, Schuldhaus and Reichel, although I don’t know if Reichel can be traded as a first year European. I know all of these players could possibly be back next year as 20-year-old players. The Rebels should have enough options to fill the 3 overage positions.
    Looking forward to more Rebels discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb View Post
    I thought the rebels would be a little more competitive this year especially due to the weakness of the central division.
    I didn't really expect them to be much better, but I expected a few Central teams to be a bit worse off, due to their goaltending, that was, until Calgary and Edmonton both upgraded their goaltending with experienced goaltenders over the summer. I can't remember a time where the Central division was this weak from top to bottom.

I also thought our top line would be able to dominate the weaker teams. After watching the game yesterday, as a fan I would be in favor of selling some of the Rebels more valuable players and focusing on 2 years down the road and beyond.
    On paper they are a lot better than they appear, but they just never played together as a cohesive unit. Like you, I think it is too late for this to happen, and it is time to move a few of them.

The players I think would bring the most returns are Hagel, Zablocki, Schuldhaus and Reichel, although I donít know if Reichel can be traded as a first year European.
    It would have to be a heck of an offer for them to give up Schuldhaus. He is one of two defensemen on the team that can play a lot of tough minutes without completely falling apart. Losing him or Alexeyev, without replacing them with a steady defenseman would make them a lot less competitive this season.

I know all of these players could possibly be back next year as 20-year-old players. The Rebels should have enough options to fill the 3 overage positions.
    Ignoring what happens between now and the trade deadline, the current returning overage players are Johnson, Dmyitriw, Schuldhaus, Lamb, and possibly Hagel. I think that players that could be moved are Hagel, Zablocki, McCarty, and possibly Lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I think that players that could be moved are Hagel, Zablocki, McCarty, and possibly Lamb.
    Unfortunately, I think the only two that are worth something are McCarty and Hagel. With the way they have played the last 10 games versus at the start of the season, I am afraid their value has dropped as well.

Congrats to Austin Strand who just signed an entry level NHL contract today. Something I never would have believed possible when he left Red Deer. Funny, for the amount of credit the Sutter system gets for making whl players into NHL players, I think there are just as many if not more that the Sutter system fails. Players that excel once they are removed from it and Austin is a perfect example of that.

Like Sutter is reading my mind. Oh wait, no, I spelled it out for him right here. Bains gone and now Fahey has been called up to compete for a roster spot. Before we know it, Zablocki will be a healthy scratch or not getting the first minute and a half of a power play unit that has been brutal in the month of November.

Before we know it, Zablocki will be a healthy scratch or not getting the first minute and a half of a power play unit that has been brutal in the month of November.
    Jesse Wallin took a hard line with Landon Ferraro, and the next season the Red Wings reassigned Willie Coetzee to the AHL when he didn't make the NHL squad, and then to the ECHL when he didn't make the AHL squad, and then to the SPHL when he didn't make the ECHL squad, and then t... well, you get the idea, basically anywhere but where they felt their prospect had been mistreated. Regardless of how poor Zablocki plays, he isn't going to be healthied, and he will continue to play on that struggling power play.

Something I never would have believed possible when he left Red Deer. Funny, for the amount of credit the Sutter system gets for making whl players into NHL players, I think there are just as many if not more that the Sutter system fails.
    He spent three seasons in the Sutter System, I would argue that it was a huge part of making him the hockey player that he is today, and it didn't fail him at all. I don't think that Sutter's system was so much better than Medicine Hat's, that when Rhyse Dieno signed with Red Deer he went from being a checker to above a point per game player, it was just a wake-up call that he needed to compete in every game.

Unfortunately, I think the only two that are worth something are McCarty and Hagel. With the way they have played the last 10 games versus at the start of the season, I am afraid their value has dropped as well.
    Players that aren't returning next season don't have to be worth something to move, some aspect of their game just has to be better than, or be more experienced than a player on another team that they are trading with. McCarty probably won't be moved, because he is an overage player, and pretty much all of the contenders that would be looking to add more firepower already have their overage players set in stone.

The team needs to get stronger in the '99 age group. The only 99 on the team that could potentially still be an overage player in the WHL in two seasons, is Sakowich.