Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 17-18 Season Discussion

Quite the turnaround indeed!

It took a moderate amountl of tinkering with the lineup, and a strong performance between the pipes by both goaltenders to get them there. A lot of credit has to go to Taylor Dakers for his work with them.

The addition of all the 16 year olds to the roster seems to have had the desired effect of motivating the older players, and the end result is very few shifts being taken off.

Speaking of the 16 year olds, while they are not completely dominating games, they are managing to stay with some of their veteran opponents, and have all seemed to have bought into Sutter's system.

Eastern conference playoff rounds in the last 10 years. After some friendly discussion and disagreement about how often various teams have been in the playoffs I decided to tally up the results for the last 10 years. Hopefully this year is the beginning of a run of playoff appearances for the rebels.

Playoff Year 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 09 08 Total
    Rds Rds Rds Rds Rds Rds Rds Rds Rds Rds Rds
    Brandon 1 4 4 2 0 2 1 3 3 1 21
    Calgary 1 1 3 1 3 1 0 4 4 3 21
    Medicine Hat 2 0 2 3 2 2 3 2 2 1 19
    Edmonton 0 1 1 4 4 4 1 0 1 0 16
    Kootenay 0 0 1 2 1 1 4 1 1 2 13
    Regina 4 2 2 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 11
    Lethbridge 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 4 10
    Red Deer 1 3 1 0 2 0 2 1 0 0 10
    Moose Jaw 1 2 0 0 0 3 1 1 0 1 9
    Swift Current 2 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 2 9
    Saskatoon 0 0 0 0 1 1 2 2 1 0 7
    Prince Albert 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 4

Wow that got messed up after pressing the post button.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Quite the turnaround indeed!

and have all seemed to have bought into Sutter's system.
    They all buy into the Sutter system when they are 16 and 17 year olds because they are trying to make/stay on the team. Look at Hagel as a 17 year old....hardest working guy on the ice pretty much every game. The trouble comes with trying to get them to continue to work within the Sutter system as 18 and 19 year olds. Always ends up the exact same way......Sutter standing there when the season is done saying there was attitude problems in the dressing room, but there won't be next year as those players are moving on. Hagel finally woke up the last 20 games probably because his agent finally kicked him in the butt and told him his chances of playing in the NHL were becoming zero with the way he was playing.

Amazing the difference it makes in junior hockey if all of a sudden your goaltending gets hot and 1 line starts to put consistent points on the board as that is about all that has changed from the team that was in last place to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    They all buy into the Sutter system when they are 16 and 17 year olds because they are trying to make/stay on the team. Look at Hagel as a 17 year old....hardest working guy on the ice pretty much every game. The trouble comes with trying to get them to continue to work within the Sutter system as 18 and 19 year olds. Always ends up the exact same way......Sutter standing there when the season is done saying there was attitude problems in the dressing room, but there won't be next year as those players are moving on.
    Funny how kids these days work, hey?

Hagel finally woke up the last 20 games probably because his agent finally kicked him in the butt and told him his chances of playing in the NHL were becoming zero with the way he was playing.
    Competing in 20 games probably isn't going to be enough for most NHL teams. He will probably be back in the WHL next season.

Amazing the difference it makes in junior hockey if all of a sudden your goaltending gets hot and 1 line starts to put consistent points on the board as that is about all that has changed from the team that was in last place to this one.
    I would say that the biggest difference in the team in the second half, is that all of the players in the roster, from top to bottom, are all backchecking hard, keeping up with their defensive assignments, battling harder in front of the net, and tying up opposition sticks. While the goaltenders have improved a great deal in the second half, they are also not facing four or five breakaways every game, or as many second and third chances at rebounds. I don't think that the top line is really producing significantly more or less points in the second half than they were in the first, the bigger difference is that the goals aren't just pouring into their net.

You do make a good point here though, about the scoring on the team, looking to next season. Most of the scoring on the team is coming from five players, three of which are eligible to play on the team next season, two that could realistically return, and only one of those two that I would say is a lock to be still on the team. There is a real possibility that Alexeyev could play in the KHL next season, and the team could have only one solild goaltender between the pipes. I guess what I am saying is, that many of the prospects on the roster seem to be a year or two away from putting up any real numbers on the scoreboard, and the media's take on the team's outlook for next season may be a little exaggerated and premature.
    Last edited by SectionNDeserter; 03-17-2018 at 06:40 AM.

I would say that the biggest difference in the team in the second half, is that all of the players in the roster, from top to bottom, are all backchecking hard, keeping up with their defensive assignments, battling harder in front of the net, and tying up opposition sticks. While the goaltenders have improved a great deal in the second half, they are also not facing four or five breakaways every game, or as many second and third chances at rebounds. I don't think that the top line is really producing significantly more or less points in the second half than they were in the first, the bigger difference is that the goals aren't just pouring into their net.

You do make a good point here though, about the scoring on the team, looking to next season. Most of the scoring on the team is coming from five players, three of which are eligible to play on the team next season, two that could realistically return, and only one of those two that I would say is a lock to be still on the team. There is a real possibility that Alexeyev could play in the KHL next season, and the team could have only one solild goaltender between the pipes. I guess what I am saying is, that many of the prospects on the roster seem to be a year or two away from putting up any real numbers on the scoreboard, and the media's take on the team's outlook for next season may be a little exaggerated and premature.
    I agree. Unless a few current 16 and 17 year old players find their offensive game next year, this team will struggle to score next year worse than this year. This team has struggled with that development the last few years. Was supposed to be Douglas and Cutler this year and while they are playing better than last year, I wouldn’t say their offensive numbers are all that impressive.
    A little confused last night with Sutter playing that line for half the game, including favouring them over the top two lines on the power play. I thought Schellenberg played awful last night. Coughed up the puck more times than you can count. Douglas and Cutler’s effort was there but they failed to really generate any offence. Even Cutler’s goal was a pass that was no where close to the Rebel player in front of the net. If the Ice defenseman wouldn’t have stuck his foot out and deflected into his own net, it probably would have ended up on the opposite side of the ice and out of the zone. Mollar mentioned after the game, when they didn’t have the puck they were chasing the puck.......90% of the time they were chasing the puck because they kept shooting it wide and giving it away.
    I thought the Hagel line was flying to start the game. They were the only line that put any pressure on in the first period and then they do something Sutter didn’t like and get third line minutes the rest of the game. Sutter says you don’t win when your best players aren’t your best players. Well you don’t win when your best players are riding the pine either. Especially on the power play.
    I thought Johnson was flying to start the game after getting his two awards. To bad Pawlenchuk and Tarzwell didn’t pick up on the energy as I thought they played really uninspired.
    And so they have another loss to a team not making the playoffs. Wonder why it is so tough for them to get up for teams behind them in the standings. If they had beat Calgary and Kootenay with any regularity, they could have finished first in the division.

A little confused last night with Sutter playing that line for half the game, including favouring them over the top two lines on the power play.
    Half the game may be an exaggeration, but they do take a regular shift. Sutter threw them out on the power play in the third, presumably to send a message to the powerplay regulars that were not getting the job done. The "officials" did everything short of donning an Ice jersey last night, in an attempt to remove any possibility of the Rebels getting back into the game. I suspect that pulling the goalie with 6 minutes left was a protest of sorts by Sutter in regards to this. If they don't win that game, it really doesn't matter if they win the next one either, so they may as well put some guys into situations that they are not usually in.

I thought Schellenberg played awful last night. Coughed up the puck more times than you can count.
    He has a tremendous work ethic, and pretty good speed, but the qualities you mention are going to put him in tough to hold on to a roster spot next season.

He has a tremendous work ethic, and pretty good speed, but the qualities you mention are going to put him in tough to hold on to a roster spot next season.
    Well, the last game of the season certainly shows that it is one line stirring the Rebels drink. Probably doesn’t bode well for playoff success as the strategy for the opposing team is pretty straight forward. Having said that, I think the Rebels match up decently against Lethbridge (especially with how they have been playing as late) and given good goaltending, have a chance of getting through the first round. The bigger, stronger teams afterwards will just focus physically on Red Deer’s top line and with no other line able to provide offence, will be the end of the road. Mind you, Medicine Hat made it through a lot of playoff series in the past relying solely on one line, but I doubt the smaller McCarty, soft Reichel and injury plagued Hagel will be able to stand up to the physical onslaught they are about to receive.

But, this playoffs isn’t about winning the cup, it is about getting the youngsters playoff experience which will bode well in their development going forward. We will be in the stands cheering them on.

Will be interesting to see how many of these youngsters are on the opening night roster next season. I thought Schellenberg didn’t look any better in the last games he played than he did in exhibition this season. Not so sure a trade to a more offensive minded team wouldn’t be better for him. Svenson might as well have been left in midget for what he offered in the games I watched him play. Bains was good some games, invisible in others. With all these young guys, it will be really evident next year who hits the summer training program and who doesn’t.

Tarzwell was a bit of a disappointment for me. With how he played the first few games after the trade, I thought The Rebels might have made out well on the deal. But with his point production dropping in half from what it was in Lethbridge, I am not so sure he isn’t another player that is going to fail in the Sutter system.

Well, the last game of the season certainly shows that it is one line stirring the Rebels drink.
    No first line, or star defenseman, barring a big pickup or two in the offseason and a homerun at the import draft, last night's game could be foreshadowing the average game next season.

But, this playoffs isnít about winning the cup, it is about getting the youngsters playoff experience which will bode well in their development going forward.
    This right here! They aren't winning the league championship for sure, but get them as much experience as possible!

Svenson might as well have been left in midget for what he offered in the games I watched him play.
    Svenson's success in midget certainly didn't translate into anything at the WHL level, at least not as much as some of the other 16 year olds. That being said, he is only 16, and will probably get another shot next season.

Tarzwell was a bit of a disappointment for me. With how he played the first few games after the trade, I thought The Rebels might have made out well on the deal. But with his point production dropping in half from what it was in Lethbridge, I am not so sure he isnít another player that is going to fail in the Sutter system.
    Tarzwell is a bigger version of Reese Johnson. His defensive game is solid, and he is good on the boards, and he will probably evolve into a 20 goal/40 point guy by the time he is an overage player in two years. While I am never super excited about the home-town boys, as long as he doesn't hurt the team on the ice, he will remain here because his presence probably sells an extra 100 tickets per game from family and friends.

Does anyone think the rebels have any chance at a come back. Maybe Anders will steal a game for us. Alexeyev must have been cleared to play and has definitely been a positive factor even though he seems to be having problems with his shot. It would have been easy for the boys to to give up but they put in a great effort and it paid off.