Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Pats starting to fire engine

Josh Mahura and Tanner Kaspick were released from Team Canada today. Sam Steel made the team as Nick Suzuki was the last forward who was released.
    Last edited by Reider; 12-15-2017 at 06:51 PM.

I'm not even sure how this game will go yet

But we definitely need a goaltending upgrade. If this was an extended camp, brown hasn't justified his spot.

It's foolish to go all in on a goaltender who can't save 9 out every 10 shots, nevermind make that big game saver when we need it. Just look at his game log.

This is the memorial cup. Year 5 of the rebuild. Time to stop playing around. Average won't cut it.
    Last edited by Some_Arrogant_Jerk; 12-15-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Default Overheard at Wednesday's game

This was the only thing that made Wednesday's game interesting. The kid behind us asks his grandfather "Grandpa are there fish under that ice?"

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
    I'm not even sure how this game will go yet

But we definitely need a goaltending upgrade. If this was an extended camp, brown hasn't justified his spot.

It's foolish to go all in on a goaltender who can't save 9 out every 10 shots, nevermind make that big game saver when we need it. Just look at his game log.

This is the memorial cup. Year 5 of the rebuild. Time to stop playing around. Average won't cut it.

I don't see the Pats upgrading their goaltending. There is no denying that Brown has not been near good enough so far this year. He has to be better...much better. But this team has way too many holes to burn what few trade assets they have remaining on a goalie. Especially when the 20 year old that they have was good enough to get them to overtime of game 6 of the WHL finals last year. And before anyone says that Brown was just an average goalie on a great team last year, remember that by the time the 2nd round of the playoffs rolled around last year, after Paddock was done trading away all of the team's depth and grit and Leschyshyn, Brooks, Wagner, Henry and Davidson all suffered injuries, the Pats were just a shadow of the team that was #1 ranked in the CHL for most of the year.

If this years's team is going to make a run, they will need a couple of key pick-ups and several players who have underperformed expectations in the first half will need to pick it up. One of those players is Brown.

I want to point out this season from the WHL site: Brown is #30 in goals against and #36 in save%. Max Paddock is ahead of him in both categories. That simply shouldn't be the case but it is. Those are very bad stats for a 20 year old goalie who is supposed to be a leader. When the team isn't playing well and clearly doesn't have the talent it needs, your goalie of any age has to be the difference maker and step up to win you a game, steal you a game, or whatever. That hasn't happened at all this year. It's not "entirely" on Brown because we have a ridiculously weak defence and are often playing two or three rookies which is not cool. Still you can't ignore the numbers and we all know in the end of the day it comes down to defence and goaltending.

We were told this would be a veteran laden team but we have too many rookies and marginals. Without naming names it is suffice to say that there are a number of guys who simply haven't brought what they should have. That means both offence and defence. After watching a couple debacles in a row "five" things are painfully obvious. (1) Discipline is atrocious like 4 consecutive penalties in the second period and three were terrible and that gave them life they didn't have. (2) We need someone to provide some offensive help and creativity even strength but especially on the PP where we need to get much better. We played the perimeter against Kamloops and didn't have a "slick" to make anything happen. (3) we can't play three rookies on D and our veterans have to be more responsible, tougher, and aware. We need a couple veteran trees back there to makes us harder to play against. 4) needless mind numbing turnovers. 5) Details and emotion on the bench plus things like really bad changes (OT goal)
    Coaches need to be much more engaged good or bad.

I absolutely think we need an upgrade in goal. I get nauseous thinking about it, but I fear the odds are less than 50/50 of getting an upgrade. Primarily for the previous stated reasons that with all the upgrades needed, there may not be enough resources to get one. It's an error not to build from the goalie on out, but that appears to be the current GM's preference to go in a different direction.

Pats lose 4-3 last night to the Blades in OT. Even if they won, it wouldn't have changed the fact that I am unimpressed with the caliber of hockey being played right now. This team is literally missing everything. Goaltending, defense, offensive punch, speed, size, toughness, grit, the ability to fight, heart and soul, compete, urgency, confidence, and leadership. There's flashes of things, but nothing sustainable. To be fair, I wasn't overly impressed with Saskatoon's game either. The one thing I do like is how Cameron Hebig attacks the offensive zone; full speed ahead. If he was paired up with two high end wingers, it could be a dangerous line.

6) Wannabe fighters trying to take on the toughest guys in the league and getting embarrassed. The only player on the Pats that I've seen show any real fighting ability this year is Scott Mahovlich. His fight against Nolan Foote was fantastic. The Pats in general lose / draw most of their fights and get embarrassed when they try and take on the leagues toughest. Poor Paddock must cringe when he see's this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    get one. It's an error not to build from the goalie on out, but that appears to be the current GM's preference to go in a different direction.
    I think you're giving the GM too much credit as he appears to be stuck in neutral. This ship doesn't appear to be moving in any direction at all. If anything it's sinking. I have no idea which direction Paddock will go if he decides to put the ship into a forward gear, but I agree that the Pats need to upgrade their goaltending. A lot of people do. They also need to upgrade their defense and forwards. Apparently we're going to have to wait until the bitter end, right before the trade deadline to find out, as Paddock appears to be keeping everyone sitting on the edge of their seats, waiting until the very last minute, while other teams have been busy making moves, upgrading their line ups. If the Pats weren't hosting the Memorial Cup this year, my guess would be that the Pats would be sellers at the deadline based on how mediocre it is and the snails pace at which Paddock has been attempting to improve this team. The Pats arguably have too many holes to fill in order to wait until the last minute to try and improve the team, as much as it needs to be improved, in order to put a Championship caliber team on the ice. That is of course, if the GM has enough resources in the coffers to be able to afford such a thing to begin with.
    Last edited by Reider; Yesterday at 05:15 PM. Reason: The truth

Pats lose 6-2 to the Lethbridge Hurricanes at home tonight.

Penalty to the Pats
    Penalty to the Pats
    Penalty to the Pats
    Penalty to...

Lethbridge goes 4 for 7 on the power play.

Lethbridge Hurricanes second goal scored by #20 Jake Elmer, asisted by #17 Lane Zablocki (regular strength goal). Wait..who are these guys?

Tyler Brown was replaced by Max Paddock after the second period after giving up 5 goals. Max went in at the start of the third period. This is the third(?) time in the last few weeks that Tyler Brown has been pulled out of the game after giving up 5 goals (or so) within the first two periods? Of course we can't put all of the blame on Brown for every goal, but some of these goals are ones he'd arguably like to have back. The entire team is to blame for playing undisciplined hockey and poor defensively.

The Pats are now 16-16-3-0 heading into tomorrow's game against the Blades in Saskatoon. It is the last game before the Christmas break.

Default Mahura Back to World Juniors?

To make this disastrous home stand even worse Mahura is slated to rejoin the national Junior Team tomorrow. Apparently Fabbro was hurt and he's next up if Fabbro can't go. He will be with the team until a final decision on him is made. We may very well lose him for a month as well.

What more can be said about this team. From top to bottom they are a wreck. No matter how you slice it they are bad. It stems from their lack of discipline (which is at an all time low point now) to their work ethic. Even if you have no or substandard talent, there is no excuse for lack of effort. Some guys aren't working because they know it's in the bag. Other guys probably don't care and assume they may be moved anyway. I'm sure Paddock preaches more discipline but evidently to no avail. You have to wonder how much respect they have for his guidance. I've been hearing rumblings about some dressing room issues. This is a mess up and down, so the GM has to fix this. I'm sure ownership is following this very closely.

Now if Mahura is gone that will make this problem even more serious. Someone posted that Paddock will be forced into some moves out of sheer necessity, and that is probably quite correct. This train is off the track right now. They better find some solutions very quick. There has to be changes and significant movement at every single position. Goal Tending, defence, and forwards are not good enough to represent this team, city etc. Maybe some untouchable may be touched.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    To make this disastrous home stand even worse Mahura is slated to rejoin the national Junior Team tomorrow. Apparently Fabbro was hurt and he's next up if Fabbro can't go. He will be with the team until a final decision on him is made. We may very well lose him for a month as well.
    I heard this as well, but my source has blown a few things lately so I chose not to make this statement until it became public. Assuming our sources are different, this must be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats7 View Post
    I heard this as well, but my source has blown a few things lately so I chose not to make this statement until it became public. Assuming our sources are different, this must be a thing.
    Posted in the LP tonight….