Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: PATS SECOND HALF - HIGHER EXPECTATIONS

Wow I see some uneducated posts on here. Kubic didn't have a chance on a least 3 of the 4 goals. One was tipped, one was going across the zone and deflected off a player into the open side of the net, the ot one was poor play by the team and a 2 on 1 played poorly by mahura. Mahura was definitely not even close to the best player on the ice. Fleury and hajek are head and shoulders above him as defenceman. He's not a forward and I am tired of ppl talking him up for playing like one when he is a defencman. They had what 3 new guys in the lineup and more still coming?! They need some practices and a few games under their belt to get some chemistry and for the new guys to learn the teams system! I feel like so many ppl that post on here and network 54 have never watched or followed hockey in their life!
    Last edited by mattyrowe88; 01-11-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Yeah, matty, you're right, Mahura is awful. It's a complete fluke that John Paddock paid a premium for him last year. It's a fluke that he was even invited to World Junior camp this year and an even bigger fluke that he was the last cut from Canada's World Junior Championship team. Fleury and Hajek are awesome defensemen too. Hyman and Pouteau will add to that group for sure.

I don't really blame Kubic for any of the goals last night although a person always wonders after a loss like that if he could have saved one of them with different decision making. A lot of the goals have been a result of poor defensive play this year and last night was no different. Hopefully once everyone is in the line up, they play a little better defensively in their own end.

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    Yeah, matty, you're right, Mahura is awful. It's a complete fluke that John Paddock paid a premium for him last year. It's a fluke that he was even invited to World Junior camp this year and an even bigger fluke that he was the last cut from Canada's World Junior Championship team. Fleury and Hajek are awesome defensemen too. Hyman and Pouteau will add to that group for sure.

I don't really blame Kubic for any of the goals last night although a person always wonders after a loss like that if he could have saved one of them with different decision making. A lot of the goals have been a result of poor defensive play this year and last night was no different. Hopefully once everyone is in the line up, they play a little better defensively in their own end.
    Mahura was average last night. But, he has been all world since coming back in the new year. Hajek was trying to do too much and was not as effective as he could have been.

Defense is a team game. It has to start with your best players. The Bradley line was awful in their own zone. I think Mahura was on the ice for three of the goals against.

Jury is out with me on the Goaltending. I will need a larger sample size.

On the plus side, I thought Jake's line was really good last night.

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    Mahura was average last night. But, he has been all world since coming back in the new year. Hajek was trying to do too much and was not as effective as he could have been.

Defense is a team game. It has to start with your best players. The Bradley line was awful in their own zone. I think Mahura was on the ice for three of the goals against.

I completely agree with everything here. The idea that Mahura is awful is laughable. What? Now that Brown is gone, some of you need to find a new whipping boy? He wasn't the last cut from Team Canada for no reason. Ridiculous comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Pats7 View Post
    I completely agree with everything here. The idea that Mahura is awful is laughable. What? Now that Brown is gone, some of you need to find a new whipping boy? He wasn't the last cut from Team Canada for no reason. Ridiculous comment!
    Mahura has carried the team all year. Maybe watch or replay some games. In Saskatoon Kubic was playing behind a 16 goaltender Maier lol. Maier would of been better choice and even better Brown! The Pats best goalie from toon town was Daniel Wapple a couple years ago! I will await report card grade and it's time for for some 9-8 fun and gun wins! Fans will love it until playoffs!

Playoff positions will be interesting for matchups.
    The question is....could Brown and Blades face Pats?

Wishing all the kids all the best with their new teams!
    THe CHL needs to show some leadership and rosters should be set in October 1 each year. The WHL aid Amateur players and are treated like meat and pros on payroll. Remember players are just kids and the CHL should be embarrassed with the actions.

Governance is governance.

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post

The team itself was average. I think the Pats need to attack (carry the puck through the neutral zone) with more speed. I like that Mahura has good speed and is not afraid to skate with the puck. The Pats really missed Steel and Hebig in this regard. It's going to be a lot of fun watching them when they come back.

Agreed on your other points. Mahura was on the ice for two goals for and three goals against for a -1 on the night. It's no secret that he's an offensive defenseman and that there's room for him to improve defensively. However, he's still a great player overall and is fun to watch.

We definitely need a larger sample size with goaltending.

Agreed that defense is a team thing. Hopefully when everyone gets into the line up and they get familiar with things, the team can improve team defense. They pretty much have to. A lack of team defense has led to a lot of goals against this year.

Yeah, if we're going by +/-, Jake's line was +1 (Leschyshyn) or +2 (Holmes, Pratt). Scholer was also +2. Those were the only four Pats players in the positive.

Anyways, Medicine Hat is in town tomorrow night. The Pats should hopefully have more of their players in the line up.
    Last edited by Reider; 01-12-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Iconchl

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Mahura has carried the team all year. Maybe watch or replay some games. In Saskatoon Kubic was playing behind a 16 goaltender Maier lol. Maier would of been better choice and even better Brown! The Pats best goalie from toon town was Daniel Wapple a couple years ago! I will await report card grade and it's time for for some 9-8 fun and gun wins! Fans will love it until playoffs!

Playoff positions will be interesting for matchups.
    The question is....could Brown and Blades face Pats?

Wishing all the kids all the best with their new teams!
    THe CHL needs to show some leadership and rosters should be set in October 1 each year. The WHL aid Amateur players and are treated like meat and pros on payroll. Remember players are just kids and the CHL should be embarrassed with the actions.

Governance is governance.
    Brown will be a motivated goaltender, can he carry the Blades into the playoffs? I doubt it but wouldn't that be a story. Out of all the moves the guy I feel somewhat sorry for is Brown - first off he is the better goalie in the trade in my opinion (and I think Paddock knows that) and he back-stopped the Pats to the WHL final last year and he wasn't the reason for the loss to Seattle. I do think he was a guy who could have carried them the whole way this year - this deal was obviously more about Struch getting another buddy to town in Hebig. Hebig's good but is he the type of guy we needed? Maybe he is, only time will tell but maybe keeping a player like Lockner would have served us better come playoffs?

This might have been the craziest trade deadline of all time, it really goes to show you that the CHL does think of itself as a professional league in treating their players like a commodity. The WHL just shot itself in the foot with this trade deadline - The NCAA is licking its chops seeing the wild west WHL make such an abundance of moves - parents aren't going to send their kids to the WHL knowing a high chance of kids packing their bags at the tread deadline, they will opt for a more sound Tier 2 route in hopes of a NCAA scholarship. I know they don't just hand out scholarships to anyone but look at the BC league rosters - they hand out a pile and they are starting to discover more players from the SJHL and MJHL with streaming of the games and the new SJ/MJ showcase etc. At one point I thought the CHL was on the right track in trying to get rid of their "professional" status which would have been great for giving players opportunity for NCAA scholarships but they are moving further away from that it seems. The NCAA has no reason to try and make any deal with the CHL now (they were in negotiations) because clearly the CHL is making big enough mistakes so the NCAA will get an abundance of players from other leagues anyhow.
    Last edited by crashnbang; 01-12-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Mahura is TERRIBLE defensively. He is so offensively gifted and a great skater, but he is terrible in his own zone. Fleury has saved the teams ass sooo many times being paired with mahura. I don't know what anyone else is watching, but mahura should not be a defenceman at all. He can't win a physical puck battle to save his life. He isn't great at playing odd man rushes. I remember one instance he and steel were the last 2 back on d and it might as well have been Henry back there with steel because mahura completely misplayed the situation and we got scored on, and of course I wouldn't trust too many high level forwards to play actual defense. Unless he has the puck in open space he is not very good at all, especially in his own end. I have talked to a few ppl who agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyrowe88 View Post
    Mahura is TERRIBLE defensively. Unless he has the puck in open space he is not very good at all, especially in his own end. I have talked to a few ppl who agree with me.
    Would those be the voices in your head?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyrowe88 View Post
    and of course I wouldn't trust too many high level forwards to play actual defense.
    You don't understand this game, do you? The REASON high level forwards become high level forwards is BECAUSE they play great defense. The better they play defense the more time they spend in the offensive zone, hence, the points they put up. The common denominator to most high level forwards is great defensive play

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    In Saskatoon Kubic was playing behind a 16 goaltender Maier lol.
    Kubic didn't lose his job. He got hurt. Big difference. That start against the Oil Kings was just his third in 2 months due to injuries. And good on him for taking the team to OT and getting that crucial point that gets them back ahead of Saskatoon.