Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: PATS SECOND HALF - HIGHER EXPECTATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by crashnbang View Post
    Why were those guys scratched? MJ looked good, we didn't play well. Who was running up the SOG for the Pats because we didn't outshoot them although stats would say so. In fact SOG was artificially inflated for Warriors too.. No worries yet, we didn't have any chemistry, it was most scrambled play I've seen from Pats all season.

Biggest takeaways for me is turnovers at offensive and defensive blue lines will kill any momentum and are the start to the Pats sloppy play and bad passes and cause everyone to get frustrated as efforts are spent trying to recover from mistakes all shift and you get tired. Not sold on Kubic, of course save percentage looks ok with artificially inflated shots. Max Paddock may be seeing lots of playing time shortly. Age won't be a factor, the better goalie will see the crease.
    Agreed. Turnovers are huge, especially when your captain makes them in front of the Pats' net and it results in a goal against. If I a being positive, another thing about that first period is that only two of the 4 goals were even strength goals. Two were PP goals. Which brings the discipline issue back into play again. This does not change the play on the ice in the first period. The Pats still got out-played by Moose Jaw and it wasn't even close. But if the Pats don't take those two penalties and give up those two PP goals in the first period and, it's possibly a different hockey game. If Steel doesn't cough up the puck in front of the Pats net for MJ's second goal (even strength) and now it's really a different game as the Pats are only down by 1 after the first period. Of course this all means nothing, I 'm just saying that there's room for improvement there. There is hope for the Pats to get better.

Agree on goaltending. I'm not "sold" on Kubic yet either. He's only played a few games in a Pats uniform and before that, his stats have never looked great. I think he deserves some time to work on improving his game, but at the same time, I agree that the Pats will eventually need to go with their best goal tender, regardless of age. I"m not sure when that will be though as there's still lots of season left. Kubic has made mistakes in a Pats uniform, but he's also made a lot of big saves. He hasn't been terrible. He looks okay to me so far, so I'm willing to give him more time for sure. Regardless of who the Pats have in net, I think we need to realize that it's not Carter Hart in there, so our expectations need to be tempered a bit.

As for shots on goal. I looked up at the shot clock in or after the first period and the Pats were being out shot big-time and rightfully so. The puck was in their end most of the first period. I looked up again in the second or third period and the Pats were up on the shot clock 34-31 or something along those lines, which I found a bit surprising because they had missed the net so many times. I really don't put any stock into the shots on goal at all from last nights game. It doesn't give a great indication of how the game was played or the quality of shots or number of quality scoring chances etc.. Or even how accurate the shot clock actually was.

Another positive point I want to make is that I think we saw Moose Jaw at their best in the first period last night. They were fantastic. I don't think there's much more they can improve upon. However, the Pats have lots of room for improvement, which is a nice takeaway because it means that they may be able to close the gap by the end of the season or at least by the time these two teams meet in the playoffs, if it happens. And I think if there's anyone who can get that job done, it's John Paddock. He got a lot out of his team two years ago, when his second youngest team in the league took Red Deer to game 7 in round two of the playoffs and I think he got a lot out of the Pats last year as well, once you factor in that he traded some of the depth and chemistry away at the trade deadline, plus all of the injuries in the playoffs.

I think the players need to feel like they are Regina Pats players and not like borrowed players for a few months. Once they get comfortable with everything and Regina feels like home, perhaps they'll play with the chemistry and pride that they need to in order to be successful as a team.

Leschyshyn - "He's hurting... He's got a little bit of stuff going on, that's all... He's actually feelings quite a bit better tonight" - John Paddock
    Oksanen - Concussion protocol
    Morrisseau - Father passed away
    Mahovlich - Fractured left foot
    Harkins - Healthy scratch as far as I know
    Last edited by Reider; 01-22-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Edited it for historical accuracy.

Default Pats

Do the PATS have any Midget players they can add some depth to the team? They need a little help.

Pats lose 4-3 in OT to the Saskatoon Blades in Saskatoon. Leschyshyn, Oksanen, Schioler, Morrisseau and Mahovlich were all scratched. Nijhoff and Hebig played with Steel on the first line and they played pretty good together, particularly Hebig and Steel. They just need a high end veteran that can win puck battles and make more plays on their left side and they could have a dynamite line. Nijhoff is good, I just mean that they need an older veteran that can play at an even higher level than him. Overall, the Pats played okay, not great. The one positive is that they didn't miss the net a dozen times like they did last night against Moose Jaw. They had a couple of shots hit the cross bar and post. Steel looked tired in OT and should have gotten off of the ice. Legien looks like he's pulling a piano behind him on the ice and was rightfully demoted to the third line. Bradley had a nice assist on Gabrielle's goal, but he also had a nice assist on Saskatoon's second goal (Wouters).

The Pats are not playing at the level that they need to. The fact that Paddock had to demote Gabrielle and Henry from the first line and Legien from the second line and put a 16 year old Nijhoff on the first line with Steel and Hebig should tell us all that we need to know. The Pats need players that can go into corners, win puck battles, come out with the puck and make big plays and set their teammates up. Those 3 demoted players are all good when receiving the puck, but how often are they the ones setting up their teammates? Steel, Hebig and Bradley make plays and set their teammates up, but there's not enough of that from the rest of the team, which is one of the many reasons why the Pats are playing mediocre hockey. And if you are completely oblivious to what I am referring to, please see the 2016-2017 version of the Regina Pats or the Moose Jaw Warriors' first period last night. That's how you play hockey, score goals and win hockey games. The Pats just don't have it right now.

Agree with most of Reider's post. Would like to see Gabrielle-Steel-Hebig on that top line, but I don't think we'll see that until Jake is back, as it would severely weaken the 2nd/3rd line. The top lines problems have mostly been Steel's doing, with turnovers (trying to do too much) and overall weak play in our defensive zone. Gabrielle had bad turnovers in the defensive zone in each of the past two games (one in each), but overall below the dots in the offensive zone has been one of our top forwards below the dots. He's definitely a guy who gets down in the corner and wins pucks for team mates. Once Oksanen and Lecshyshyn are healthy we will have more options with regards to line configuration and would surprised if we didn't land on;

Gabrielle-Steel-Hebig
    Legien-Bradley-Henry
    Holmes-Lecshyshyn-Oksanen
    Nihoff-Morriseau-Pratt

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Agree with most of Reider's post. Would like to see Gabrielle-Steel-Hebig on that top line, but I don't think we'll see that until Jake is back, as it would severely weaken the 2nd/3rd line. The top lines problems have mostly been Steel's doing, with turnovers (trying to do too much) and overall weak play in our defensive zone. Gabrielle had bad turnovers in the defensive zone in each of the past two games (one in each), but overall below the dots in the offensive zone has been one of our top forwards below the dots. He's definitely a guy who gets down in the corner and wins pucks for team mates. Once Oksanen and Lecshyshyn are healthy we will have more options with regards to line configuration and would surprised if we didn't land on;

Gabrielle-Steel-Hebig
    Legien-Bradley-Henry
    Holmes-Lecshyshyn-Oksanen
    Nihoff-Morriseau-Pratt
    We'll report card for Pats a F this week down 4-zip to Warriors!
    Then HIGHWAY clash Blades cut the Pats throat! 16 year old goalie beats Pats.
    I reported the youngster should be traded to Pats.

I would think Pats x Davidson was smiling.

If playoffs were to start today would be a lot of pressure.

The Pats fire power is just not there like in 2016.
    Paddock either rides his horses or at near 500 hockey.

As far as shots and counting I wish they had counter that stated grade a-b-c as some shots outside are routine.
    Go Vikings

The Pats have to figure this out, and quick! I completely agree the Pats earned a big "F" this weekend but you could see it start the previous weekend. The game against Calgary was a laugher and a lot of bad habits emerged along with a poor work ethic, yet they won in a walk playing a midget calibre team. They eeked out a win in PA when they should have handled them easily. Poor games against MJ and Saskatoon. Don't let the number of shots fool you because we shot a lot from the outside much like the Tigers did to us a short while back. Effort to get second and third shots off rebounds weren't there. The Pats haven't paid the Blades the respect they deserve, and as a result have lost three or four in a row. This a team behind them that they a competing with for the top wildcard spot. A team that was 3-3 with MJ until late in the 3rd last night. MJ won it at the 12:57 mark and had an empty net to make the the score 5-3. A heck of a lot different than our 5-3 game on Friday. Now that the Blades have lost a game in hand and now only have one game in hand and are 4 points behind the Pats. The Pats have a glorious opportunity on Wednesday to go up 6 points on them. However they will have to bring a strong two-way effort and start playing up to the level they need to. They need to view Saskatoon in the same light as either Swift Current or Moose Jaw. They need to play for their playoff lives because in fact, that may be the case right now.

Right now the Pats are 160-170 (-10) Goals for/against. We are still giving up too much and not scoring enough. That script must be flipped if they hope to do anything. Like always it starts with good team defence because we all know good offence comes off good defence. Most goals are scored within 8-10 feet of the net. Rarely does anyone go coast to coast. That required hard work and dedication. It requires chipping pucks in and winning most battles along the wall. Going to the dirty areas where you're going to take some punishment. You look at Kamloops who admittedly have Ferguson in net but also traded their best D-man and forward away. They went into Alberta and won every game playing solid defence and being happy with a 2-1 victory. The Pats who are struggling have to get to a point where they are playing that type of hockey. The don't have the horses to run and gun. The sooner they realize that the better off they will be, and their play will improve. It has to!

Relax Chopper- I think the Pats need to figure things out, but it doesn't need to happen overnight. The Pats are 8-2-2 in their last 12 so one bad weekend doesn't worry me at all. The Pats are 7 points back of Brandon, who I really dont want them to catch anyways. If this takes a few more weeks to figure out, then so be it. Playoff lives?? Come on man.....that isn't a reality in the least bit. Looking at Kamloops, going into Alberta isn't exactly a measuring stick. The Central is by far the weakest division. Push the panic button if you wish, Paddock is rolling 4 lines consistently so he isn't panicking at all. I think he realized last year that playoffs are a grind, key injuries killed them last year. This team isn't as good as last year, but heck......Paddock is playing 4 lines, last year he played 3 maximum. Patience!!

We will definitely pass Brandon, but I think Saskatoon will pass us. Just look at the schedule of the Pats, Blades and Wheat Kings. Brandon will be lucky to win 1 of it's final 9 games. All 3 teams will land very close to 84 points and I think it goes Saskatoon 85, Regina 84 and Brandon 83, which still keeps us in 7th place and facing Med Hat.

LOL Pats7…….not to worry I'm ok and very patient I might add. After all I've been waiting over 30 years for the Pats to win any kind of championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we're 6th longest out of 66 teams waiting to win one!!!!!
    You are quite right about the Central Division though. They are weak. After all 12 of our 24 wins have come out of there…..say 50% of our wins! As I can recall Kamloops had no trouble with us either.
    When a team you've lost four in a row to comes in 4 points back with a game in hand, I would think that's a troubling situation. A win by them that is probable by the record, would leave them 2 points behind with a game in hand….no concern?
    Unfortunately most of the soft games are over and the Pats will need to play in the East division down the stretch for the most part. They have won 10 of their 24 wins in the East. PA(5) Brandon(4) Saskatoon(1)
    My point which was missed is I agree with Shooter that the Pats got a "F" grade this weekend. And they have to find a way out of the recent doldrums even though there was a win against Calgary and PA. Pats coaches had concerns after the Calgary game.
    There is some deduction by people that if you go get 8-9 players at the deadline, you will be a good team. Nothing could be further from the truth. Pats 2001, Saskatoon 2013, Red Deer 2016 are shining examples that's not the case whatsoever.
    All we can hope is that the Pats can buck the recent WHL "load up" syndrome. The Pats have a bunch of games against MJ and SC so they have to find a way to put Saskatoon and PA in their rear view mirror. The repercussions should be obvious.
    I have been waiting a very long time to see the Pats do something. I dread the thought that we will let 2 years go by and win absolutely nothing! 52 wins means nothing. Portland has done it twice in 5 years and 3 times in 7 years. They won a WHL title.
    Right now the Pats have a tough schedule and will need to find some air in their sails. They will need to play .700 hockey over their next 23 games just to get to 40 wins. I can't remember when a team with less than 40 wins attended a Memorial Cup.
    I hope we can find a way to be successful….but I reserve the right to be both concerned and skeptical. As they say…..I'm from Missouri…..show me!
    Last edited by chopper; 01-22-2018 at 12:25 PM.

I really hope we DON'T put Saskatoon in our rear view mirror. We are going to pass Brandon, and we need Saskatoon to pass both us and Brandon to stay in the 1st wildcard spot, which gives us our best chance to come through the front door. I'm guessing Paddock knows this as well, and that's why he keeps rolling 4 lines in these games. Wants to build chemistry, but doesn't want Saskatoon finishing behind us.