Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: PATS SECOND HALF - HIGHER EXPECTATIONS

I recall an interview Gabrielle gave when he first got to YQR and he said something to the effect of "He had matured a lot and wasn't the same player Pats fans renumber him as.." I don't think he has changed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    Pats win 4-2 at home against the Moose Jaw Warriors. That's back to back wins against Moose Jaw for the Pats. Not only were they the two biggest wins of the year for the Pats, they were arguably two of their biggest performances as well. Not in terms of playing a full 60 minutes, but in terms of elevating their compete level and playing physical. The Pats worked hard and played physical, which is the way they need to play in order to beat Moose Jaw. It was great to see the Pats deliver a lot of bone crushing hits today.

The Pats were down 0-1 after the first period and were tied with Moose Jaw 2-2 after the second period, just like last game against Moose Jaw (in MJ). Once again, Halbgewachs was standing in front of the net untouched for Moose Jaw's first goal. The Pats scored two goals in the second period, but they could have had 2 or 3 more for sure. Hebig hit the post squarely with a wide open net, another puck partially (at the very least) crossed the goal line in the air and another one landed on top of the net off of the goaltender (Willms).Gabrielle missed an open net in the first period.

Oksanen and Henry appear to be elevating their level of play lately. They've been working hard and are not afraid to go into corners and play physical. Henry especially. Oksanen had a nice goal and assist today and both players scored last game in Moose Jaw. One thing that I find especially encouraging is that all 4 Pats goals were even strength goals (Steel's goal was scored 4 on 4). The Pats were 0/4 on the power play, but when a team can score 4 even-strenght goals against a team like Moose Jaw, they're going to have a chance to win the game, even if they don't score any on the power play.

The Pats played pretty good defensively as well. Not perfect, but good enough to keep Moose Jaw at bay and from scoring in bunches. The Pats' defensemen were punishing Moose Jaw's forwards and that's what they need to keep doing. Work hard and hit hard. Max Paddock was solid in goal for the Pats again today. He had no chance on the first goal against, when the puck found a wide open Halbgewachs in front of the wide open net on the penalty kill. And the second one was redirected in front of the net at the end of the second period by Howden, which looked like it would have been pretty tough to stop. Paddock stopped Halbgewachs on a penalty shot and made some other good saves, so it's difficult to have anything negative to say about his performance today.

Overall, the Pats have played pretty solid hockey over the last couple of games against Moose Jaw and getting back to back wins has to be a huge confidence booster. It appears that the team is starting to gel a little bit and play as a cohesive unit. The Pats have 11 regular season games left to play and the next 8 are on the road. This long stretch of road games provides a great opportunity for the team to continue building chemistry before the playoffs begin.

This was a good overview of the weekend. The last few games have been a good barometer for the Pats as they have played much more engaged and involved. This is obviously the Pats playing the "right way" was JP likes to call it. I feel it's just another step for them in their journey to become the team that many thought they might. They have the Warriors again Saturday night and can hopefully have another good game. The two victories doesn't win you anything but it puts seeds of doubt in their mind, and the minds of other good teams around the league. Some MJ players voiced concern as did Hunter, even questioning his teams will and fight. Seems to be vaguely familiar to last season! Finishing 1st or 2nd doesn't really get you anything once the playoffs start. You might get an easier opponent first round but again maybe not. With the talent the Pats have if they were to get on a roll come playoffs, I doubt they will be an easy opponent for anyone. The key however is that they have to continue playing well against all teams including today in PA. These games can be traps for a team.

With the Pats keeping a forward high and having support on defence has helped a lot. You can't win at any level simply trying to play "run-and-gun", and the Pats can't play that with MJ or SC for sure. Max Paddock has quietly taken over much like the kid in Seattle did last season. Oksanen has provided the Pats with another weapon that creates scoring depth they have been looking for.

Gabrielle and Legien were big acquisitions the made Pats made but they have both been subject to some degree, of Paddocks wrath. Legien's work ethic has caused some healthy scratches and Gabrielle has missed more than one shift himself. I do believe that Gabrielle missed the 3rd period last night because of his weak play on the tying goal at the end of the second. It was very similar to Wednesday night where he didn't take Halbgewachs on their 4th goal. I appears Jesse is trying to cherry pick too much and doesn't get back to his D-zone quick enough. He was identified a while back for his weak play on a goal PA scored against us late to tie up the game. He appears to be a defensive liability.

I think Gabrielle yapping has hurt him on occasion, however he has been the subject of many weak calls against. I'm sure the refes are taking the opportunity to exact some gratuitous revenge for his mouth. IMO this year has produced some of the worst officiating in the past decade. The Pats have seen that all too much. John Paddock has been incensed by the work of the stripes more than any other year he has been here. I will go with John on that one. If they want to call Gabrielle for a weak trip then fine. However they should call a penalty on a players who spears him in front of them, and that has also happened. I guess it speaks to their integrity or perhaps more suitably, their lack of it.

Well it was a good weekend for the Paddock believers with 2 big wins over a top team. Wins largely driven by Steel Mahura Paddock all guys he had before the trades.
    Paddocks biggest trade in his 2 years as a Winnipeg Jets Gm was trading Tie Domi for Mike Eastwood , a trade he lost badly perhaps no other gm in NHL history has made more "nothing" trades as Paddock did. I believe his WHL deals to have been even worse

With guys like Gabrielle and Legion already being massive letdowns the cracks are already showing in his recent moves. Hebig may be the exception but let's remember his cost

forward Bryan Lockner and Regina’s first- and second-round draft picks in 2020, and third-round draft picks in 2019 and 2021.

So far I still believe his bungling of the last 2 deadlines will be the downfall of this team, the last couple wins have done absolutely nothing to change my opinion on that.

Gabrielle suspended 2 games (1 left) and Schioler suspended for TBD games. Harkins will play his first game in a long while on Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Da genius View Post
    Well it was a good weekend for the Paddock believers with 2 big wins over a top team. Wins largely driven by Steel Mahura Paddock all guys he had before the trades.

With guys like Gabrielle and Legion already being massive letdowns the cracks are already showing in his recent moves. Hebig may be the exception but let's remember his cost

forward Bryan Lockner and Regina’s first- and second-round draft picks in 2020, and third-round draft picks in 2019 and 2021.

So far I still believe his bungling of the last 2 deadlines will be the downfall of this team, the last couple wins have done absolutely nothing to change my opinion on that.

What do Regina fans think about recouping some of that equity by sending Max home to Brandon, after the Memorial Cup? He gets his lifetime experience, familial duty is done, we get a desperately needed Goalie.

Where does the asking point start?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheDUB View Post
    What do Regina fans think about recouping some of that equity by sending Max home to Brandon, after the Memorial Cup? He gets his lifetime experience, familial duty is done, we get a desperately needed Goalie.

Where does the asking point start?
    I guess you can never say never. The Pats have some depth at the goaltending position. Both Max and Wassermann are 17year olds. Wassermann needs to move up next year and play in the Dub. Is he a starter next year? Who knows.

Maybe Brandon needs to use a 20 year old position to bring in a more established guy.

Default Pats 7…Blades 5

Who would have thought they would come back from 4-zip especially when you see how the Blades have handled them this year. You saw some of the very best and worst all in one game. Wassermann was a bit shaky but also made some big saves late. It was a game where everyone chipped in which was good to see. They can't have a start like that in MJ tonight, who no doubt will be waiting on this game. This one goes into the take two points and run category.

Iconchl

Although I did predict Paddock would end up being our #1 goalie I still wish we had Brown. Do all of you Tyler Brown critics want him back yet? I know John Paddock does.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnbang View Post
    Although I did predict Paddock would end up being our #1 goalie I still wish we had Brown. Do all of you Tyler Brown critics want him back yet? I know John Paddock does.
    Remember.....if Tyler Brown is still here, then Hebig isn't. As much as I would prefer Brown over Kubic, I rather have Hebig.
    #MaxPaddock#1

Todays Thoughts
    1- Sidaway was so good tonight. I dont quite understand why Legien continues to be the odd man out. Legian has scored in the last two games that he has played. I was questioning why Legian was out over Morriseau and Sidaway.....they both proved me wrong.
    2- MJ seems to capitalize on their chances. Fleury takes a stupid penalty.....Warriors score on the PP when the defence lets the fastest Warrior get behind them on the break out. Pats get stuck on the ice after a very long shift, had a chance to change but didnt......Warriors top line makes no mistake. To be fair, the warriors laughed up a puck at their own blue line and the Pats made no mistake.
    3- Gabrielle.....he is partially to blame, but the refs give him absolutely zero room. The warrior player left his feet and in my opinion elbowed him......he gets up to complain and gets a 10 minute misconduct. He has to keep his mouth shut, but the refs are clearly out to get him as well. I thought that the refs did a great job of letting teams play today. I dont know what Gabrielle said, but that was a very short rope......likely a product of the difficulty with Wyoznek at the end of the last game he played.
    4- The Warriors played with more grit the first few periods tonight. Schuldhaus might be there best addition at the deadline, I love the way he plays.
    5- Sheen is still a moron.