Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: PATS SECOND HALF - HIGHER EXPECTATIONS

IMO the Pats weren't even close to being as good as last weekend and it was still a 3-2 game. They had a couple outnumbered chances in the first but squandered them with poor execution. Another play the puck got by Wihlms and laid in the crease , and if only someone had gone to the net. Max didn't give us what we needed and particularly so when we know these games are going to be close. The first goal between the wickets. The discipline was pretty good but Fleury's penalty was untimely. Sheen took a dumb one but we didn't capitalize and played on the perimeter. That was big issue last night as it seemed nobody really wanted to be physical as it's hard work, or pay the price to go to the tough areas. The Pats will need to clean that up since we have to be a real hard team to play against every night. Last night we were not.

I agree the refs leave a lot to be desired. They seem to think they have a right to allow some players to be deliberately hurt and others are protected to the nth degree. When a player leaves his feet for a hit and it's not called they are allowing something that could cause a player to be seriously injured. I saw this uncalled many times last year by Wong against Pats players. Peace officers and firefighters are there to protect everyone and not just some even if they don't like them. A lot of the referees in this league have a very poor moral compass. I have seen it for years and it continues. I have friends that are now, and others who have been linesman in the WHL. Suffice to say the old boys network is in play and integrity is not a highly valued commodity. Poor performance is rewarded. Gabrielle may in some part be the cause of his own victimization, however there are so many serious infractions against him that are not called that one can understand his frustrations. It puts a spotlight on the referees lack of integrity. This is where John Paddock in all this? He should be calling them out in conversations with Robison. Maybe voice their thoughts as to who should or shouldn't be in the Memorial Cup.

Hunter has a big mouth and he may be writing cheques his mouth can't cash. It was win and that's all. If he thinks it was a statement win, his head is clearly up his donkey!

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post

Hunter has a big mouth and he may be writing cheques his mouth can't cash. It was win and that's all. If he thinks it was a statement win, his head is clearly up his donkey!
    Hunterís comments reeked of desperation. A statement game is winning 4-0 and dominating the game against an opponent that is 20 points behind you in the standings. Not squeezing out a 3-2 win. Letís face it, MJ was 1-3 with a 3 game losing streak against teams that they will need to go through in the playoffs.

In reality this win just stopped the bleeding and put some belief back in the boys and gave the Pats with some bulletin board material.

I imagine the pats are hoping SC catch MJ for first so the Pats can play MJ in the first round
    One issue I see for the Pats that they didn't address this season is goaltending. My team has seen the trouble twice lately when going to Mem Cup without a top goalie!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    One issue I see for the Pats that they didn't address this season is goaltending. My team has seen the trouble twice lately when going to Mem Cup without a top goalie!
    I wouldn't say that they didn't address it. There just wasn't anything better available.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I wouldn't say that they didn't address it. There just wasn't anything better available.
    I guess skinner might have been someone they looked at? And what would Hart have cost, astronomical I assume!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I don't think there is any doubt that the Pats tried to significantly upgrade their goaltending, as did a lot of other contending clubs. The problem is that there were few options open to these clubs. Skinner would have probably been somebody they would have looked at and I'm sure a lot of teams made good offers to Lethbridge for his services. In the end Swift Current got the deal done. They evidently offered the best package of players but I suspect the fact they got Flodell in the return package made the deal more palatable. Swift Current also paid a high price to upgrade to him early in the season. The price they paid was very high both now and in the future, so anything less than everything will not set well in SC. The other guys available were perhaps Ferguson, Grant and of course Hart. It's unknown if any of those guys were available but I suspect there were some big offers for Hart's services by all contending clubs. Paddock was pretty adamant that there weren't any real upgrades available meaning Ferguson and Grant weren't on the table and it's been suggested that Hart nixed a trade. IMO Hart is the only goalie who is the real deal difference maker.

I will point out some interesting goalie stats from the WHL site. These are the six goalies in the East Division.

Skinner 2.98 GAA 908 Sv%
    Paddock 3.02 902
    Willms 3.02 900
    Maier 3.09 902
    Scott 3.23 906
    Thompson 3.47 896

The purpose of this exercise is to show that in all reality all the goalies numbers are actually quite similar. I have done some work on the numbers and found that the average number of shots handled per game is between 30-33 shots. They are all pretty close in these as well. While Paddock isn't Carter Hart, he seems to be on a par with the other Eastern goalies for the most part. I don't see a dominant goalie in the East Division from my perspective. We have no Carter Hart out here.

In the West the Silvertips have all-world Carter Hart and I suspect they will emerge as Western Division Champs and quite probably WHL Champs. In Everett they still play a very defensive game but have been allowed a bit more offensive leeway. They are happy to get a one goal lead knowing it will take two goals to tie and beat them. Then they turn it over to Hart and defy other teams to score two goals on him. They play very confident knowing they have him back there. They will be an extremely difficult team to beat in a seven game series. The Tips have a good team but not a great team without Hart. With him in net they go from good to being an elite team. That's what an elite goalie can do for a team. Any quality team is built from the pipes on out. It's too bad the Pats weren't able to secure a goalie of that ilk. However from what I see nobody else in the East Division/Conference was able to do so either.

With Kubic apparently suffering from concussion symptoms, the Pats have to rely on Paddock. All we can do is hope he maintains his level of play and gives the team a chance to win most nights.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    I guess skinner might have been someone they looked at?
    Skinner is a good goaltender, but only marginally better than most of the starting goaltenders in the WHL, and has never been consistent enough to be considered an elite goaltender.

And what would Hart have cost, astronomical I assume!
    Everett is an older team that was near at or near the top of the US division for most of the season. I can't imagine for a second that they entertained the notion of trading him.

Default 3-2 OT and 7-4 Wins!

A couple of nondescript wins probably. Paddock has a tough challenge trying to get these guys to play the full 60. Both were tough to watch but at least they were wins. Once again Kubic is down. It seems like this guys is constantly injured for whatever reason. Hopefully the boys don't get this crappy weather in Alberta.

Tiger radio said during the first period broadcast that John Paddock is stepping down from coaching to be GM only and Dave Stouch will be the head coach. Dave’s gets a second chance to coach a team after hosting the MCup with bar e cupboards

Pure insanity to say that Skinner is anything but the exact goalie the Pats needed, all this price was too high stuff. They blew all the picks anyway so the price could have been paid it just wasnt.
    Don't see Kubic winning any CHL player of week or month awards