Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: FIRST ROUND PLAYOFFS…PATS vs BRONCOS

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Judging from the vibe I've been hearing it sounds promising that Hajek is fit to play, and if so that would be good news. On Saturday the Pats faced elimination however tonight both teams face elimination. These games have been all over the map so it's tough to accurately figure out what might happen. I think most everything gets thrown out the door and it should just end up being two teams settling it. The Pats need to work on having a better first period than the last couple at SC, and one might suggest all three loses in Swift have come from the Pats playing a mediocre to poor first periods. They have to work on playing a more sound defensive games as mistake free as possible. Lets hope for the best.
    These are two teams that seem to regroup very well. Which speaks well for playoff success. Game 7 advantage goes to the home team, that is what you play the regular season for. The Pats have to stop that first line and they have a tendency to get frustrated.

If they get Hajek back, that would be a great boost. But, I think guys like Pouteau, Schioler and Gavlas have stepped up big time. Fluery gets better every game. I think the Pats will need more from Mahura, if they want to win.

I hope it's a great game that is indicative of two teams of this quality.

Hajek out... Morrisseau and Oksanen out too.

Gabrielle in. Nijhoff in. All according to phil andrews.

Swift has a full line up but perhaps a few fresh players will make a difference.

A win tonight would be sweet. Ill be listening in.

Pats lose game 7 in Swift Current 3-2. Max Paddock, Libor Hajek, Emil Oksanen, Koby Morrisseau, Austin Pratt, Duncan Pierce and Jonas Harkins were all scratched. Swift Current had their full line up. The Pats played disciplined hockey like they needed to. They took zero penalties. Swift Current took one penalty in the third period, which the Pats failed to capitalize on. I expected a close, one goal game and that's what it turned into. I felt that the Pats were not hungry enough and did not generate enough quality scoring chances, despite out-shooting the Bronco's 38-21. Perhaps the Pats just ran out of gas, I do not know, but it did not look good. The Bronco's created and capitalized on one more opportunity than the Pats and the Pats were unable to tie it up in the third period, despite having a power play opportunity. The Pats arguably made one or two too many mistakes, which is all it took for Swift Current to capitalize on and make the difference in the game. The game and series could have went either way.

There's also the fact that a lot of Memorial Cup host teams lose out in the first round of the playoffs. It's not uncommon for that to happen. I'm not sure if that was a factor or not tonight, but there clearly was not enough fight in the dog.

The Pats really could have used Austin Wagner this year. Not getting him back was a huge loss.

The Pats will now have a lot of time to get healthy, get rested and work on some things. I'm not sure that the Pats will have the best team in the Memorial Cup, but they should be the healthiest, have the freshest legs and have home ice advantage. It arguably made a difference for Windsor last year, although I will not go as far as saying that it made "the" difference (although it arguably could have, since they did end up winning the tournament). It won't necessarily make "the" difference for the Pats this year either, but having fresh legs, a healthy line up and home ice advantage should definitely help to some degree, I"m just not sure if it will be enough to put them over the top in the tournament.

It's really disappointing that the Pats lost out in the first round this year after losing in the WHL Final last year. It would have been great to see the Pats finish what they started last year and skate through the front door into the Memorial Cup this year. But Swift Current is a good team as are the Moose Jaw Warriors and Prince Albert Raiders. Hopefully one of those three Saskatchewan teams will represent the East in the WHL final, win the WHL Championship and earn a spot in the Memorial Cup. Lethbridge or Brandon would be okay too, but the winner of those two teams will probably be the underdog in the third round and WHL Final if they make it that far.
    Last edited by Reider; 04-03-2018 at 01:23 AM.

I felt all along that it was razor thin and in the end, that's how it worked out. It's extremely disappointing that the Pats fell short and in some peoples eyes had the Broncos lost, it would have been equally devastating. There is clearly something wrong with this format where two of the top teams in perhaps the entire league will be done by the end of round two. In defence of Saskatoon they had to go home and plan while two teams with lesser points moved on to the playoffs, and one will be in the Central Division final..go figure! In the OHL, they have addressed this properly and it goes the 1-8, 2-7 format. After all we're adopting the OHL's 68 game schedule next season. The goal should be to have the best teams go as deep as possible. There shouldn't be a free pass just because you're in a weak division.

The Pats looked a bit tired and had a tough time consistently going/getting to the front of the net. When they didi they scored. To their credit the referees showed that a game can be played without the constant parade of penalties. The Pats also showed much too late that they can play without taking the needless stick and "me" penalties. JP lamented in the LP that if they could have taken a couple less penalties per game it could have perhaps kept his players fresher. 4 minutes per game over 6 games is 24 minutes and a lot of that was played by the top players. I agree with him on that. I have long been critical of the Pats lack of discipline and remain so. It's three consecutive years we have either been at the top or near the top of the league in penalty minutes taken. That has to stop and it's the coaches who need to put an end to it.

In game 7 there were a couple of real bad defensive breakdowns and perhaps a weak goal. We made just enough mistakes to lose. Swift Current didn't make as many. In the end they were just marginally better but again that's all it took. However in the final analysis the last two seasons have broken down with a loss in the WHL Final, and a 1st round loss. As a three plus decades Pat fan, I am bitterly disappointed at last year and this. We came up short two years in a row and that's very upsetting at the under achievement.

The Memorial Cup is a tournament we wouldn't normally be at if this were any other year. Our season is over but this is an add-on we get to participate in. What lays ahead is a big question mark. I hope the team can be respectable with the quality that field will have in it. However based on the last couple of seasons results that may be wishful thinking. We should be healthy and I will go on record in saying I think we should give Max Paddock the nod. I think he would have made a difference in this last series. Six weeks is a long wait but that's what happens in these circumstances. It's always better to win your way.
    Last edited by chopper; 04-04-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    I felt all along that it was razor thin and in the end, that's how it worked out. It's extremely disappointing that the Pats fell short and in some peoples eyes had the Broncos lost, it would have been equally devastating. There is clearly something wrong with this format where two of the top teams in perhaps the entire league will be done by the end of round two. In defence of Saskatoon they had to go home and plan while two teams with lesser points moved on to the playoffs, and one will be in the Central Division final..go figure! In the OHL, they have addressed this properly and it goes the 1-8, 2-7 format. After all we're adopting the OHL's 68 game schedule next season. The goal should be to have the best teams go as deep as possible. There shouldn't be a free pass just because you're in a weak division.

The Pats looked a bit tired and had a tough time consistently going/getting to the front of the net. When they didi they scored. To their credit the referees showed that a game can be played without the constant parade of penalties. The Pats also showed much too late that they can play without taking the needless stick and "me" penalties. JP lamented in the LP that if they could have taken a couple less penalties per game it could have perhaps kept his players fresher. 4 minutes per game over 6 games is 24 minutes and a lot of that was played by the top players. I agree with him on that. I have long been critical of the Pats lack of discipline and remain so. It's three consecutive years we have either been at the top or near the top of the league in penalty minutes taken. That has to stop and it's the coaches who need to put an end to it.

In game 7 there were a couple of real bad defensive breakdowns and perhaps a weak goal. We made just enough mistakes to lose. Swift Current didn't make as many. In the end they were just marginally better but again that's all it took. However in the final analysis the last two seasons have broken down with a loss in the WHL Final, and a 1st round loss. As a three plus decades Pat fan, I am bitterly disappointed at last year and this. We came up short two years in a row and that's very upsetting at the under achievement.

The Memorial Cup is a tournament we wouldn't normally be at if this were any other year. Our season is over but this is an add-on we get to participate in. What lays ahead is a big question mark. I hope the team can be respectable with the quality that field will have in it. However based on the last couple of seasons results that may be wishful thinking. We should be healthy and I will go on record in saying I think we should give Max Paddock the nod. I think he would have made a difference in this last series. Six weeks is a long wait but that's what happens in these circumstances. It's always better to win your way.
    I think that Paddock is the #1 goaltender and his injury hurt the Pats. It was not Kubic's fault they lost, he played fine. But, I think Paddock is the better goalie.

To me the difference between the teams is that SC had more elite finishers. They capitalized on pretty much every chance they had. Other than Hedbig, the Pats don't have those types of finishers. The Pats had more puck possession and carried much of the play for the last 5 games. They just couldn't capitalize enough (and Skinner had a say in some of that).

Did the SC PP hurt the Pats? Absolutely! But, so did the Pats subpar PP. They had enough opportunities, but to score at a 15% rate on PP when your PK is giving up goals at 26%.....

We can complain about the playoff format all we want. To me the team that really got burnt was Saskatoon.

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    I think that Paddock is the #1 goaltender and his injury hurt the Pats. It was not Kubic's fault they lost, he played fine. But, I think Paddock is the better goalie.

To me the difference between the teams is that SC had more elite finishers. They capitalized on pretty much every chance they had. Other than Hedbig, the Pats don't have those types of finishers. The Pats had more puck possession and carried much of the play for the last 5 games. They just couldn't capitalize enough (and Skinner had a say in some of that).

Did the SC PP hurt the Pats? Absolutely! But, so did the Pats subpar PP. They had enough opportunities, but to score at a 15% rate on PP when your PK is giving up goals at 26%.....

We can complain about the playoff format all we want. To me the team that really got burnt was Saskatoon.

I would completely agree that Saskatoon really got the short end of the stick. They were ahead in points over not just one team but in-fact two teams. One now is in the Central Division Finals, and who knows could conceivably be in the Eastern Conference finals. Yet by the end of the second round two of perhaps the best teams in the Eastern Conference will be gone. It's something that has to be fixed. The OHL model is the one to follow.

There are a lot of takes on what happened. A great many are not at all flattering to the team brain-trust. I am not sure of the real reason for the result however my thoughts are: first and foremost it falls squarely on discipline: we gave them 38 PP's during the series and that alone should have been enough to sink us. Our lack of discipline top to bottom was a huge factor all year, and a controllable factor. Many of the penalties were after the play, stick infractions, lazy penalties etc. I remember a couple stupid ones Oksanen took that cost goals and the same for Henry. These are not tough guys so why be so selfish tying to prove they have big gonads. Even strength we outscored them 15-10, so very obviously the thing that tipped the scales was SC's many trips and goals from the PP and our lack of discipline. This lack of discipline hurt us last year in finals as well. I have long mentioned that this team continues to be undisciplined and has been so for at least 3 of the 4 years Paddock has been the coach. This is a fixable situation so then why has he not done so? It killed us this year.

Perhaps SC had better finishers if not more finishers. In the end it was 21-20 in goals scored for them. A one goal difference and in the end that was the margin of defeat. A friend of mine suggested that perhaps the major reason (outside of discipline) was because we didn't have enough playmakers. The Broncos had numerous guys who could make great passes, thread the needle, and find open men. We had Steel and he was watched heavily. Other than that we didn't have any great playmakers, passers, or intelligent situational players. We had shooters like Legien, Gabrielle, and Bradley but they will never be confused as playmakers. In the last game both Hebig and Holmes went to the front of the net and scored. That is where goals are scored from. We had a number of guys who had a distinct aversion to go to the tough areas. The Zablocki, Leedahl or Kaspick type players are needed in this series and we didn't many of them. IT seemed to everyone I spoke with as well as my own views, that the Pats played and shot far too much from the perimeter especially on their PP's, but also in general.

This discipline and want to go to the dirty areas, are things this six week break should be able to resolve before they play again. That's all that's left..

I guess this should be another thread, but I couldn’t figure out how to start one....

I understand that Jacob Wassermann was one of the survivors of the horrible bus accident yesterday. I don’t know the extent of his injuries or condition other than vitals are stable.

So many kids gone. Families lost. A community devastated.

Very nice sentiment……I totally concur!

These bus trips are woven into the fabric of our society in the hockey world. We've done it, our kids have, and our grand kids as well. A gut wrenching tragedy!

It makes one feel so helpless. All we can offer is out thoughts and prayers. I hope the families of the lost can be consoled…and that the injured young men heal..