Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: FIRST ROUND PLAYOFFS…PATS vs BRONCOS

Skinnnnnnnnnnerrrrrrrrrrr, Skinnnnnnnnnerrrrrrrrrrr.......cant say I saw that game coming. Lets hope the refs keep their whistles away for Game 7. The Pats have been the better team even strength for most of the series. It should be a dandy in Swift on Monday.

Pats beat the Bronco's 7-2 in game 6 in Regina tonight. Max Paddock, Jesse Gabrielle and Libor Hajek were all scratched again. It was great watching the Pats score all of those goals and tie the series up, but this game was nothing like game 4. Both teams looked tired in the first period and there really wasn't much fight from Swift Current throughout the game. They scored both of their goals on the power play. On Hebig's hooking penalty, it looked like Steenbergen held Hebigs stick underneath his arm, then fell straight down to draw the penalty. Swift Current (Giorgio Estephan) scored 8 seconds into the ensuing power play and Hebig had a lot of words for Steenbergen afterwards. Stuart Skinner was pulled again tonight. I"m not too sure about that penalty shot that Glen Gawdin was awarded, but Kubic saved it anyways.

With the Pats win, all of a sudden the best of 7 Series turns into the best of 1. I expect nothing but the hardest played game from both teams on Monday night in Swift Current. The Pats will definitely need to play their absolute best hockey for a full 60 minutes and stay out of the penalty box if they want to win this series. I expect the Bronco's to have their legs back for game 7.

There's very little news in regards to the injury stockpile we have dealt with the whole series. No news on Gabrielle or even paddock. What even are the injuries they have? Harder said Hayek is a possibility to play...but not definite. Since this is kubics series to play, max can take his time healing...And to be perfectly honest, it's not irrational to argue that a healthy Gabrielle should almost sit anyways(although we are definitely more skilled with him in the lineup). To some officials, Gabrielle has original sin and should start the game in the penalty box. And since the special team stigma is in our heads, it may put us at a mental disadvantage despite a boost in every other way.

Im wondering if any forechecking the first 6 games produced will make swift tiny wingers and D's jobs harder. The radio doesnt convey that all too well. Usually having an even strength advantage implies that but thats all i got to go by. I imagine swift has been double shifting their top line all series...certainly have been on their PP. Surely they're a bit tired by now.

Hopefully last night was steels awakening. He's been too quiet this series. If he scores early...just like in last game 7, it will be an enormous boost. Im expecting a big game for Jake. Hebig has earned some respect after people like me were sour on the price, yet he's been our most productive forward. Next game shouldn't be much different. This is also the time of year to double shift our best Dmen. If they arent already doing it. Hopefully Fleury is up for 30 min of ice. If we have a well rested Hayek as well, we are all the more better off. A return would be a major morale boost.

And of course...***at no point***...should any player think: 'whatever, win or lose, we still have the memorial cup to play'.

This mindset will be the main culprit if we have a weak showing in a game 7. Its against a team we have beaten once before(mostly the same team but older), with some new players from a team we have beaten twice before. To me, we have momentum right now, thr overall better talent and obviously an advantage in experience. What good is experience if not for games like these? And experience should teach them, once they get past the nerves, that the hardest working and most motivated will win this game.
    Last edited by Some_Arrogant_Jerk; 04-01-2018 at 11:15 AM.

By the way, I've never really liked the Broncos. You shouldn't really like your rivals...but there's usually some respect there. It probably wasn't always there. I think they've come a long way since the mark lamb regime. They have a pretty good coach now, steenbergen is an amazing talent, and being swift is a town of like 20 people, this team is all they have and the town is behind them 100 percent. If it wasnt against my local team, I'd be hoping for their city to have a good playoff run.

I hope most of all we aren't saddled with a zalaski or a byblow tomorrow. I don't ever want to see that pig on whl ice, nevermind in a playoff game ever again. He never learned from the kootenay mess, and has proven he never will. He is a stain on the league itself. Make no mistake, game 7s are the best part of the sport, and the wrong official will ruin a game 7 regardless of the outcome.

Last night's game was good in a number of areas. Primarily for a large part of the game the Pats stayed out of the box. Stick infractions and mind-fart penalties were eliminated. This seemed to fluster the Broncos because they don't play hockey, they play for PP's. When they didn't get them they were forced to play even strength and we saw the result. In the second and third we committed a few needless infractions and a couple hurt us. Tomorrow that has to be cleaned up entirely. Except for a couple calls, this game wasn't terribly bad as afar as officiating was concerned. Most games in this league the refs are trying to get noticed so they inject themselves into the game, and attempt to become the stars and difference makers.

This has been a close series but I see something positive creeping into the Pats play. They are finding some much needed discipline. Also they seem to have found some ways to awaken their offence and are attacking the front of the net with more conviction and determination. If the Pats get Hajek back that will be a bonus, but they have shown they can win without him. Kubic will need to have his best game of the series and Steel will need to help kill of some penalties. Skating hard and playing the right way will have positive results. Swift Current has a good team but will not be handed a victory unless the officials decide to do that. Behind the false bravado and limited respect shown to the Pats, I'm betting there is a lot of consternation right now. All the worry and pressure is squarely on them, knowing that a loss puts and end to their season.

I'm cautiously optimistic and hope the boys bring this thing home tomorrow.

Saj,

Injuries - I'm not certain or in the know, but this is what I believe is the situation based on what I have heard, read and observed:

Libor Hajek – Upper body injury, day to day. Not sure when he will return, but I hope he is good to go for game 7.
    Jesse Gabrielle – Lower body injury, day to day (possibly week to week now?), re-injured / re-aggravated his injury when he played in game 3. Not sure of his possible game 7 status. My guess is that he will be scratched and if he plays, he will not be 100%.
    Max Paddock – Middle body injury, day to day / week to week. My guess is that he will not play or dress for game 7, but it's possible. I haven't heard anything lately on his health status, so hopefully he's good to go soon.

Im wondering if any forechecking the first 6 games produced will make swift tiny wingers and D's jobs harder.
    It might. It's hard to say right now. But I know that the Pats didn't do themselves any favours in game 3, when they hardly worked and were hardly physical. It was a wasted opportunity to wear SC down.

Hopefully last night was steels awakening. He's been too quiet this series. If he scores early...just like in last game 7, it will be an enormous boost.
    While Steel only has one goal in the series, he has 8 assists, which amounts to 9 points in 6 games. He leads all Pats players in points in the playoffs. Although he has not been scoring, he's been setting his teammates up for success, Cameron Hebig for the most part, to be specific.

Im expecting a big game for Jake.
    I am too. He has 3G and 2A in 6 games in the playoffs. I thought he moved around the ice really well in game 4 and hopefully he skates like that in game 7. His quick-release top shelf goal in game 4, assisted from Nick Henry, was absolutely fantastic. His goal last night was nice as well. Hopefully he continues to work hard and have continued success in game 7.

Hebig has earned some respect after people like me were sour on the price, yet he's been our most productive forward.
    I agree, although I was never sour on the price. Cameron Hebig has come as advertised and has been really good in the playoffs for the Pats so far this year (5G, 2A in 6 games) and hopefully that continues in game 7. He's been dynamite around the net and moves around the ice really good. Him and Steel are likely going to have to produce in game 7 in order for the Pats to win the game and series.

Nick Henry and Oksanen have been contributing, but the they can't be expected to carry the team.

Matt Bradley, the other top 6 and the top 9 forwards in general are going to have to produce in game 7 in order for the Pats to win, just like they did in games 4 and 6. It will have to be a complete team effort for sure.

The Pats will also need to play tight defensively, disciplined in general and will of course need solid goaltending.

chopper, the Pats gave SC 5 PP opportunities in game 6, which is the least amount of PP opportunities that they've given the Bronco's in any given game in the series. The Pats gave them 5 PP opportunities in game 3 as well. So yeah, the Pats were reletively disciplined in game 6, but I'd like to see them do even better in that department in game 7.
    Last edited by Reider; 04-01-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks for the info.

I can assume the anderson hit gave hajek the injury but id guess if he passed that concussion test, he should be fine for playing. Especially in a game 7.

I wont expect gabrielle back. Reaggrevations of injuries are treated pretty seriously. and paddock would just be the backup anyways. May as well take things slower with him.

Its too bad teams cant be more specific on injuries anymore. Calling something an upper-lower body injury is stupid. Its not as if people cant figure out what the issue is without digging a little bit, or finding the video clip. Its just an inconvenience.

I heard that Hajek has a concussion and has passed all but one of the tests so he might play Monday if he can pass today or tomorrow.

Judging from the vibe I've been hearing it sounds promising that Hajek is fit to play, and if so that would be good news. On Saturday the Pats faced elimination however tonight both teams face elimination. These games have been all over the map so it's tough to accurately figure out what might happen. I think most everything gets thrown out the door and it should just end up being two teams settling it. The Pats need to work on having a better first period than the last couple at SC, and one might suggest all three loses in Swift have come from the Pats playing a mediocre to poor first periods. They have to work on playing a more sound defensive games as mistake free as possible. Lets hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Judging from the vibe I've been hearing it sounds promising that Hajek is fit to play, and if so that would be good news. On Saturday the Pats faced elimination however tonight both teams face elimination. These games have been all over the map so it's tough to accurately figure out what might happen. I think most everything gets thrown out the door and it should just end up being two teams settling it. The Pats need to work on having a better first period than the last couple at SC, and one might suggest all three loses in Swift have come from the Pats playing a mediocre to poor first periods. They have to work on playing a more sound defensive games as mistake free as possible. Lets hope for the best.
    I wonder who the winner of this series would rather play, MJ or PA?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.