Thread: MEMORIAL CUP/POT POURI

Default MEMORIAL CUP/POT POURI

It's going to take a long time to come to terms with the Humboldt Bronco accident. Almost everyone I've spoken to feels a raw emotion and great sadness and empathy. It's hard to say something that hasn't been said. We all care deeply.

I listened to JP on his preparation for the Memorial Cup and it's appears there will be issues stemming from last Friday that he will have to deal with in addition to his team preparedness. When they were eliminated it seemed like a long time but time is marching along pretty quickly. It can't get here soon enough to suit me.

The MJ Warriors are on the ropes now needing two wins against SC to win the East. The fact both teams are in the second round is a topic for another time but it's ridiculous IMO. Out in the Central Divison the Lethbridge Hurricanes have won the Central and will play in the Conference Final….the Hurricanes you say???? I tend to think Logan Flodell is the primary reason they have got this far. In the West the Tri-Cities Americans are a surprise and have won eight in a row, and will now face the Silvertips. I think the Tips had a tougher go to get there, but they have Carter Hart.

May 3 is the annual Bantam Draft and looking at our board, it would be a gross understatement to say it is "thin". I hope JP can land a couple picks for futures.

I just threw this new thread out here for really any topic at all. Will be good to hear from the crew again.

Geez what to think about this years playoffs. This is the second year in a row that the Warriors were unable to get past the second round. Swift Current was the better club and probably should have won it in six games, but for an iffy call on the tying goal in game six. The were also fortuitous on a real questionable penalty that allowed MJ to win a game in PA. I guess their luck ran out. The problem for Swift Current is something the Pats learned last season. When you keep needing to go to seven games, it wears a team out, risk of injury, and mental fatigue. Now they're up against an inferior but rested and highly motivated Lethbridge club. Flodell will have something to say and prove. They had better not take them lightly and since Lethbridge has had an easy go of it, they are very rested and refreshed.

I think it puts into perspective how good the Pats played SC, and how very very close those teams were. If the Pats can stay sharp they are in a position to be very dangerous in the Memorial Cup. Owen Sound took the Soo to 7 games tonight that the Soo won 9-7 so they are in tough in their league. It's not a guarantee they will emerge, however should. But then again so should have MJ.

I have read a few comments about how this team or that team paid too much, or will have trouble because of the loss of picks, are going to be in the dumps, etc. I think most of that is wishful thinking on their part and by in large is a bunch of BS! I checked the rated final WHL players with some surprises: Of the 22 kids taken in the first round of the 2015 Draft, only 14 made the CS List. 8 first rounders were not even on Central Scouting's list at all. Of the 46 players listed, on 14 were first rounders. Many of them (1st rounders) were way down on Central Scouting list, and some won't be drafted when the OHL, QMJHL, USHL, Tier 2, and Europeans are taken into consideration. By the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round Bantam picks the numbers drop off exponentially. Point to this all is that it's more important to draft the "right" type of players in the Bantam Draft and mould them into the team you are trying to forge. Often it's about the coaching and the system than anything else. One only has to look at Kelowna who year after year have quality teams yet rarely ever get a top 1st round Bantam pick. Many teams have had top picks year after year but rarely accomplish anything. It's much more than just having a bunch of picks.

I like Swift Current in the East and Everett in the West. After that it's tough to say.

I think Manny outcoached Tim Hunter in the MJ & Broncos series. Tim Hunter excused his team of being banged up, which the broncos were too. (He didn't even shake the Broncos team's hands after the series. ) I agree the Broncos had to eliminate two of the best teams in the WHL to advance to the third round which is a shame they had to meet in the first and second rounds. I hope the Broncos get healed and rested enough to beat Lethbridge in 5 - 6 games, although both teams will be quite motivated to beat the other with the huge trade the two made at the deadline. It would be awesome to meet up against the Pats again at the Memorial Cup!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarter Century Fan View Post
    I think Manny outcoached Tim Hunter in the MJ & Broncos series. Tim Hunter excused his team of being banged up, which the broncos were too. (He didn't even shake the Broncos team's hands after the series. ) I agree the Broncos had to eliminate two of the best teams in the WHL to advance to the third round which is a shame they had to meet in the first and second rounds. I hope the Broncos get healed and rested enough to beat Lethbridge in 5 - 6 games, although both teams will be quite motivated to beat the other with the huge trade the two made at the deadline. It would be awesome to meet up against the Pats again at the Memorial Cup!!
    I hope SC appreciates what a great coach/GM Manny is. He also wins and loses with class. I really can’t say the same for Hunter.

That SC building is sold out every playoff game and the fan travel well. In my opinion the fans deserve this team.