Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MEMORIAL CUP/POT POURI

John Paddock made some trades in order to get more lower picks and a pick in the 4th round. This wasn't surprising at all as he had to do something in order to improve his chances of getting good players.

In other news, single game Memorial Cup tickets go on sale tomorrow morning. This is after two game ticket packages went on sale after originally only offering full tournament ticket packages. It's a sign that ticket sales are slow and tickets are over-priced.

The Regina Pats may have lost out in the first round (by a single goal), but they've arguably been Swift Current's toughest test so far, despite being injured (Hajek, Paddock, Gabrielle) and sick (Oksanen). And of course, who knows how much "Memorial Cup Host Syndrome" played a role in all of that. Swift Current beat Moose Jaw handily in game 7, while the Bronco's beat Lethbridge in 6 games. Swift Current now plays Everett in the WHL Championship Series. Regardless of who wins that series, the Pats at the very least appear to be worthy Memorial Cup hosts.

Thinking out loud......

The Pats announced single game tickets went on sale Friday. I expected that even at high prices that the seats for Pats games would sell out quickly. In the playoffs the last two years, scalpers were getting between $70 and $150 a seat depending on the game. Obviously I was wrong about the Pats games selling out instantly, as are the Pats brass. Now it leaves a bit of a foul taste in my mouth that season ticket holders will be paying more than anyone to attend the memorial cup than anyone else. Lets look at some cases......

a) A friend of mine bought Pats round robin games and playoff games individually. He paid approximately $220 less than I did for a week package. Of course I will get 3 extra games out of the deal, but 3 games that I could easily watch at home. My thoughts were originally going to be sell those 3 games at face value to make some of the cost back. Face value doesn't seem realistic with so many tickets available at the moment. Is this buyer beware? Am I too blame for being such a huge fan that I couldn't risk waiting until single tickets went on sale? OR Are the packets squeezing every cent they can from loyal season ticket holders?

b) I know some families that attend approximately 10 home games a year. They all mentioned at one point that they would love to attend at least one game of the Memorial Cup "IF" they could get tickets. Now they can get single game tickets, but none of them are going. They aren't willing to pay $400 for a night of family entertainment for their family of 4. They love hockey, the kids love the Pats.....but they will be watching from home. Are Pats ownership missing the opportunity to become life long Pats fans? The last time the memorial cup was here, I was at a much more young and impressionable age. I remember saving every last cent, then standing in line at 6am to get the last released game day tickets that always went on sale at 9 am. At that point in my life, I had no money but I could find a way to go. I dont think that is true this time around. I moved away from the city for a few years, but after that year......I always followed the team closely. I still remember the heartbreak of that last loss that year. When I moved back to the city, it was no brainer to get season tickets. I know a few families that bought seasons for the first time this year, I think only one out five plans to come back next year. I will be back, but I will miss the sell-outs and atmosphere that will be lost.

Although it bothers me that I am paying more than single game ticket people to watch just Pats games....I am fortunate enough to be in a place in my life that I can afford it. I just feel terrible for those that love the team as much as I do, but just cant afford it. I want to be at the game with my jerseys on for the next 5 years in a full barn. I think this year gives people reason to think about not coming back. In my opinion, from the outdoor game fiasco to the memorial cup.....Pats ownership has missed the boat. Thoughts?

I don't think you should feel bad for securing your Memorial Cup tickets early. There's always the risk that you will miss out on tickets if you don't buy them when you have the opportunity. So it's better to be safe than sorry. You could have waited and you may have gotten tickets cheaper, but you may have missed out on them entirely. Considering Regina only hosts the Memorial Cup every so many years/decades, playing it safe than sorry is usually a solid decision in these types of situations, even if it costs a bit more.

In terms of other fans' ability to go to Memorial Cup games, one factor is whether or not people can purchase single game tickets, but the other important factor is the price of the individual tickets. In the regular season, a family of 4 can get Safeway tickets for $13 each or $52 for the entire family. In order to take a family of four to a Memorial Cup game, it would be close to four times the price. That's going to price a lot of families out of the market or at least make them think long and hard before buying tickets.

2001 Memorial Cup ticket packages were a fraction of the price of what packages were originally going for ($847.50) to non-season ticket holders this year. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that my wage has not exponentially increased as much as Memorial Cup Ticket packages have. It seems like the cost of everything has gone up faster than wages, which negatively affects peoples' monthly/yearly entertainment budget. I am not surprised that the Memorial Cup is not sold out, just like I was not surprised that the outdoor game was a flop. The boom is over and whether you see it or not, a lot of people / families are struggling right now.

We live in a Capitalist society and in Capitalist societies, profit maximization is the ultimate goal, so yes, I absolutely believe that the Pats and the CHL have been trying to squeeze every last penny out of CHL fans. The fact that the outdoor game was a flop and the fact that there are still a lot of Memorial Cup tickets for sale are signs that prices were and are still too high.

A lot of people felt that last year was the year for the Pats to go all in. Instead, they put one leg in and put in a bid to host the Memorial Cup this year. Now that they are hosting this year, they put their other leg in this year. There's a good chance that when the Memorial Cup tournament is over, it will be a two year cash grab and zero Championships for the new ownership group.

Broncos one game away from the mem cup the hard-way, Skinner another massive performance, shutout. He has been literally incredible this playoffs.

None of this matters now what is done is done but let the record show.. Skinner was the goalie to get, there can be no doubt about that anymore.

The Pats made some trades, the Bronco made Thee trade of the deadline

I think it's obvious and few would dispute that Skinner is an elite goalie. He has been extremely good against every team in the WHL with the exception perhaps being the Pats. It should likely come as no surprise that a number of teams went after him, and I'm sure the Pats were in that conversation. I'm suspecting four or more teams inquired about him. In the end Lethbridge must have felt that Swift Current's offerings were better than anyone else. I strongly suspect that Lethbridge wanted an OA goalie coming back that would give them the best chance in the playoffs. Flodell was evidently the guy they wanted, and the fact they won the Central Division Championship as proof of that point. Winning the Central three years in a row is a significant accomplishment.

I strongly believe the Pats weren't the only team that wanted him, but in the end only one team could get him. Trades can be complex and take a good long while to formulate. Even when you offer a ton you don't always get a trade. Talking to some people supposedly in the know suggests the Pats made a big play for an elite goalie, only to have him nix the deal. In some cases teams won't deal with other teams. It's pointless to suggest the Pats should have got Skinner and all would be well. Just because you try for a player doesn't mean it will happen no matter what you offer. A number of years back a couple of teams offered a kings ransom for Eberle and Tubert but Parker refused to sell. It takes a lot of things to make a trade work out.

This season in the first round it went to seven games and we lost 3-2. We scored 20 goals and they scored 21. It was no doubt the toughest series they have played to date. Our downfall this playoffs is that some vets didn't bring enough and our discipline went south like it did all season. Perhaps slightly better tending would have helped however when it's 21-20 in goals that's awful close. Goaltending wasn't the only area we were deficient in.

I think and certainly hope we will be good in the Memorial Cup. I suspect Paddock will see to that.

Now that Swift Current has won the WHL Championship, it's clear that the Pats gave Swift Current their hardest test in the playoffs. The first round could have arguably been the final round, thus making the Pats worthy Memorial Cup hosts. The top two teams in the WHL are arguably and ultimately playing in the Memorial Cup.

Since we haven't been at the rink, I haven't talked to my usual people in the know. I am hearing that Jesse Gabrielle is no longer with the team. I am not sure if this is as per his injury or anything else. Can anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Pats7 View Post
    Since we haven't been at the rink, I haven't talked to my usual people in the know. I am hearing that Jesse Gabrielle is no longer with the team. I am not sure if this is as per his injury or anything else. Can anyone confirm?
    I know that he is still injured. I suspected a broken foot to begin with, I guess that was pretty accurate. And he tried to play on it twice during the playoffs. That speaks a little to his character and wanting to help out the team.

If he is unable to play, that hurts.

From my point of view, for the Pats to stand a chance at winning this, two guys that disappeared in the playoffs need to show up in the Memorial Cup. And that is Bradley and Mahura.

If Jesse Gabrielle is injured and can't play in the Memorial Cup, can the Pats call in another 20 year old or do they have to roll with the remaining 2? Do the Pats have any 20 year old players listed that they could add to the active roster? Hobbs or Wagner would be ideal, but the first realistic name that comes to mind is Wyatt Sloboshan, who didn't report after the Christmas Break. Is there any possible way that Sloboshan could be added to the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    If Jesse Gabrielle is injured and can't play in the Memorial Cup, can the Pats call in another 20 year old or do they have to roll with the remaining 2? Do the Pats have any 20 year old players listed that they could add to the active roster? Hobbs or Wagner would be ideal, but the first realistic name that comes to mind is Wyatt Sloboshan, who didn't report after the Christmas Break. Is there any possible way that Sloboshan could be added to the roster?
    No. Once Jan 10th rolls around teams have to declare their three 20s.