Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MEMORIAL CUP/POT POURI

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    No. Once Jan 10th rolls around teams have to declare their three 20s.
    Thank you. I just don't like the idea that if all three 20 year old players get injured for the season after Jan 10th, the team must play without any 20 year old's. Teams should at least be able to bring guys up from Junior A if they are listed. In other words, I think the Pats should have been able to re-call Wyatt Sloboshan after Jesse Gabrielle got injured for the season as long as Sloboshan was still listed somewhere in the Pats' system. It's not like CHL teams would be adding professional players to their line ups (E.g. Hobbs or Wagner) when injuries happen. This year we have a situation where the Pats had to play the playoffs and now the Memorial Cup with essentially two 20 year old players, while all other teams have 3, when Wyatt Sloboshan could have been playing.

So I asked around today about Jesse Gabrielle. From what I can figure out, he definitely has a severe foot injury. However,when I asked a few different people whether he got sent home since he wouldn't be back in time. I got answers like "I wouldn't say that" or "No-Jesse was sent home for being Jesse." The people I talked with know....they are also being vary vague.

Now that we know the four teams in the Memorial Cup and it begins in two days, how does everyone feel about the Pats' chances in this tournament? I have mixed feelings about it all, but I think the Pats will be in the mix for sure.

Some positives are that the Pats should be well rested and healthy. Max Paddock, Libor Hajek and Emil Oksanen should all be good to go. If 17 year old Max Paddock can play as good as he did towards the end of the season or even better, he should give the Pats a chance to win. I like the Pats' defense, especially with a healthy Libor Hajek. Furthermore, the team has had more time to gel since losing out in the first round to Swift Current.

For me, the biggest question mark with this team is at forward. By the sounds of things, Jesse Gabrielle will not be playing, so the Pats will be short a 20 year old. The Pats will be short handed this entire tournament if Gabrielle can't play, which is an immediate disadvantage. Furthermore, the Pats really didn't go out and get a left winger to play alongside Sam Steel and Hebig / Henry. The Pats acquired Gabrielle and Legien, who are both good players, but perhaps are not the best fit for that role. As a result, the Pats have tried mixing and matching various lines and ended up settling on using Robbie Holmes as the first line LW. He has been okay, but far from ideal. Not getting Austin Wagner back was a huge loss for the Pats.

As for the match ups, with all of that said, I don't think the Pats are the favorites in this tournament, but I don't see why the they cannot be competitive with the players that they have. They have good coaching. The Pats lost to Swift Current in game 7 by one goal, while having multiple injuries/illnesses throughout the series and while playing undisciplined hockey, which is fixable. Swift Current is currently the highest ranked team in the CHL (4th) heading into the tournament as the teams ranked above the Bronco's have all lost out in the playoffs. I know hockey math doesn't always work that way, but it is encouraging if it does end up working out that way.

In a lot of ways, which I will not get into right now, this feels like 2001 all over again and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If the Pats would have beat Val D'Or in the semi-final in OT, I really liked their chances against Red Deer in the final. I read comments earlier in the season that the Pats will get smoked in the Memorial Cup. I just can't see them losing all three of their round robin games 11-0. I can't see them getting blown out of the water every game. They've already proved that they can play with Swift Current and that they are worthy opponents in this tournament. At the very least, I can see the Pats winning one game and making it to the tie breaker game. It would be fantastic to see the Pats play Swift Current in the semi-final or final. Either way, it would be great to see a Saskatchewan (WHL) team win this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    Thank you. I just don't like the idea that if all three 20 year old players get injured for the season after Jan 10th, the team must play without any 20 year old's. Teams should at least be able to bring guys up from Junior A if they are listed. In other words, I think the Pats should have been able to re-call Wyatt Sloboshan after Jesse Gabrielle got injured for the season as long as Sloboshan was still listed somewhere in the Pats' system. It's not like CHL teams would be adding professional players to their line ups (E.g. Hobbs or Wagner) when injuries happen. This year we have a situation where the Pats had to play the playoffs and now the Memorial Cup with essentially two 20 year old players, while all other teams have 3, when Wyatt Sloboshan could have been playing.
    I find your argument a bit weak, no very weak. First off, not likely a team would have all three 20's going down to injury. And besides, the Pats have been resting (and healing) for well over a month, while the other Mem cup teams have been battling non-stop, with a way bigger chance of injuries happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats7 View Post
    So I asked around today about Jesse Gabrielle. From what I can figure out, he definitely has a severe foot injury. However,when I asked a few different people whether he got sent home since he wouldn't be back in time. I got answers like "I wouldn't say that" or "No-Jesse was sent home for being Jesse." The people I talked with know....they are also being vary vague.
    Not sure who you talked to but I take it that it wasn't John Paddock. From what I heard on the Cage today, he is very much part of the team. And just so you know, I would be happy if he was sent packing - not a fan of his, plus I am cheering for Swift.

Word parsing has become a favourite pass time of media types and coaches trying to play coy and getting a leg up. Being very much a part of the team and being ready and able to play are two separate and distinct things. Might qualify as fake news.

Having a reserve OA list is certainly not a weak proposal in any way. Lots of sports leagues have injury reserve lists and other affiliates of various types. If a 16 year old can be allowed to come in and play as an injury call-up, so could an OA. The difference would be that there could only be "one" OA reserve, and that he would take up a spot on your 50 man roster. It wouldn't be something that most teams wouldn't use unless they were in a Memorial Cup run. It would mean the team using this option would need to drop a protected player. Only after someone was declared with a season ending injury could this be used. That injured player could be dropped and another player added to the protected list. All the best OA's are on teams so it's most likely that the player would be an ex-WHLer on a Tier 2 team somewhere.

Back in the day the the WCHL allowed two or three players to join this league Memorial Cup representative. Well into the 80's the WHL allowed a goalie from the defeated Championship series team to join the Memorial Cup Representative. So this has happened before. There are long been all sorts of player enhancement situations allowed. Not likely going to happen again but not a bad idea to mitigate catastrophic injury to Memorial Cup bound team.

This should be a balanced lineup for the Memorial Cup. Hamilton Knocked out Sault Ste Marie the supposed best team in the CHL. Acadie Bathurst won over Blainville-Broisbriand who were a top CHL team. Swift Current won over MJ, and the Pats played SC to a virtual stand still. The benefits of a league that plays two of it's top teams in the first round! Any one of these teams it would appear could win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Not sure who you talked to but I take it that it wasn't John Paddock. From what I heard on the Cage today, he is very much part of the team. And just so you know, I would be happy if he was sent packing - not a fan of his, plus I am cheering for Swift.
    I was listening to the Cage as well today, I dont buy it. He is on the roster is all that was stated, that doesn't mean a thing. We couldn't be more opposite, I have a Gabrielle jersey, wish he was in the lineup.....I just dont think he will be. He wasnt in the team photo that they had on their way to the benefit concert in Saskatoon. He also didnt play in the mock game last week. I was also told that he has posted instagram photos that would cause people to believe he was away from the team. I hope I am wrong, I just dont think I am.

At the bottom of this article, Rob Vanstone had a "Notes:" section, which stated that Jesse Gabrielle would miss the entire Memorial Cup tournament due to the foot/ankle injury he sustained in the last regular season game. It has since been deleted from the article.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/...l-cup-equation

Default Gabrielle

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    At the bottom of this article, Rob Vanstone had a "Notes:" section, which stated that Jesse Gabrielle would miss the entire Memorial Cup tournament due to the foot/ankle injury he sustained in the last regular season game. It has since been deleted from the article.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/...l-cup-equation

http://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/...d-memorial-cup

This article confirms Gabrielle's absence from the tournament. I'm personally skeptical that their isn't more to the story as to why Gabrielle ultimately won't suit up for the Pats throughout the tournament however that is purely conjecture on my behalf.

That's the article I was looking for. I stand corrected. The note is still there at the bottom of the article. I must have gotten the articles mixed up. Thank you.

I'm not skeptical at all. I saw how he was skating in the first game back that he played in the Swift Current series. He may have re-aggravated it in that game. Either way, it did not look good and I could tell by how he was skating that he was not 100%. I have no idea what Jesse's injury is exactly and there certainly could be more to this story. However, I do not doubt the possibility that he's just too far from 100% to play in the tournament as a result of his original injury. Sometimes those types of injuries can take months or years to fully heal.
    Last edited by Reider; 05-17-2018 at 01:21 AM.