Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MEMORIAL CUP END - ANALYSIS - NEXT SEASON

Default New rules for trades

Taking Notes just posted the WHL has new trade rules. Signed 15 & 16s can not be traded. 17 only if they request to be traded
    Looks like a lot more draft picks will change hands
    Very important the scouts are doing their homework as a drafted player is in the organization for a minimum of two years and could be threefold
    Last edited by RWAH; 07-24-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Typo sorry

Very quiet out of the Pats Offices these days. I thought we might hear more about moving of some of the OA's and older guys. It appears they will wait until at least after the pre-season to make any moves. The most impact moves likely won't come until the Jan 10th area one would think. The two Russians we took in the Import Draft both made the Ian Hlinka Team. No reason to click heels yet, but still it bodes well. Nothing too big on the off season trade front but I feel the Blades picking up Riley McKay was a real good move. It will give their team some toughness and presence, and he's a pretty good player. Injured quite a bit last year but if healthy will be a big asset. The Blades are going to be a very tough team this year and will no doubt improve on their 77 points missing the playoffs season. . A great goalie, Davidson anchoring the blue line, and a number of both good and emerging forwards. They should compete for tops in the East. PA got Gregor's rights and if they should land him, they will have a top notch team as well. Brandon will also be tough. It will likely be a toss up of the other three to make a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Very quiet out of the Pats Offices these days. I thought we might hear more about moving of some of the OA's and older guys. It appears they will wait until at least after the pre-season to make any moves. The most impact moves likely won't come until the Jan 10th area one would think. The two Russians we took in the Import Draft both made the Ian Hlinka Team. No reason to click heels yet, but still it bodes well. Nothing too big on the off season trade front but I feel the Blades picking up Riley McKay was a real good move. It will give their team some toughness and presence, and he's a pretty good player. Injured quite a bit last year but if healthy will be a big asset. The Blades are going to be a very tough team this year and will no doubt improve on their 77 points missing the playoffs season. . A great goalie, Davidson anchoring the blue line, and a number of both good and emerging forwards. They should compete for tops in the East. PA got Gregor's rights and if they should land him, they will have a top notch team as well. Brandon will also be tough. It will likely be a toss up of the other three to make a playoff spot.
    Yes Saskatoon is going to be better, but if they are smart they won't stop there. To me, they need to raid the Pats and get one of those 20 year old D men to bolster that back end, maybe they could squeeze Cale Fleury out of there. Yes they are better, but if they don't keep adding, I wouldn't feel comfortable just yet. They have a couple realllllly nice pieces, but now's not the time to hold off. This division is ripe for the taking so they should go for it a bit now.

Some people may not agree with me on this, but as of right now, I think the Blades should at least consider sending Dawson Davidson + draft picks back to the Pats for both Fleury and Pouteau. I was quite impressed with the way Pouteau played in a Pats uniform last year. His value, in my mind, was higher than the 7th round draft pick that the Pats sent to Lethbridge. I'd have no problem with Pouteau wearing a letter this year. Davidson is a good player in his own right. He's a "puck mover" and will certainly put up more points than Pouteau in the regular season, but Championships aren't won in the regular season. Perhaps I'll change my mind, but I like the idea of having Fleury and Pouteau over Davidson, then acquiring a different 18/19 year old "puck mover" (with hopefully more size than Davidson) if that's what the Blades feel they need. I just feel that come playoff time, Fleury and Pouteau are the players you want in your line up on the back end in front of a young Nolan Maier. Especially considering the fact that the other 20 year old would be a smaller skilled forward in Max Gerlach. And also considering the fact that the Blades also have some other good young skilled forwards. Fleury and Pouteau are both big and strong "playoff" players and I think the addition of those two veteran defensemen would go a long way for the Blades. As skilled as he is, I"m not convinced that Davidson would hold up as well in a long playoff run. Another option is to keep Davidson and acquire Fleury. I guess I"m just that big of a fan of Pouteu and what he brings to the table in the playoffs that I'd prefer him over Davidson, then acquire another defenseman if necessary.

If you are still not convinced about the importance of having big strong / skilled veteran defensemen to compliment a skilled roster, you only have to look to last year and the year before to see how Swift Current and Seattle constructed their WHL Championship teams. Big strong skilled veteran defensemen were on both teams. I feel that trading Davidson + draft picks for both Fleury and Pouteau would give the Blades a much better chance in the playoffs than the way the team is constructed right now. Those two players would compliment their skilled forward group and goaltender big time.

As a side note, Riley McKay was a nice pick up for the Blades. He will help protect the younger skilled players on the team and will add value in his own right. Fleury and Pouteau would only build upon the Mckay acquisition.

Lastly, if you look at how good Prince Albert was last year and how they almost knocked off Moose Jaw in the first round of the playoffs, you know they'll be an even tougher team this year, which makes a trade like this essential for Saskatoon.
    Last edited by Reider; 08-07-2018 at 01:34 PM.

I personally am not in a hurry for the Pats to make trades before the season. If Fleury returns, I think his price is highest before the deadline. I would like to see the Pats take a run at the season before unloading their top assets. I am not convinced the season will be a right off like many think. It reminds me of the year that Paddock took over. I see the same amount of talent with some key pieces. Of course they will need to trade some guys later in the year, but there is no need to be a tire fire before the year starts.

If the Habs sign Fleury before the season starts, he can play in the AHL in the upcoming season without burning a season of his ELC (because of his late birthday), giving him a full extra season of Pro develeopment. Even as woefully incompetent as the Habs management currently is, I don't see a scenario where they don't sign him and put him in the AHL this season.