Thread: Rebels 2018 Pre-season

Default Rebels 2018 Pre-season

I am looking forward to seeing some discussion on the rebels.

Based on the first two exhibition games I think Red Deer will be in tough this season. I did like Tarzwell and Johnson but they will always be pitted against the oppositions top forward line.

The Rebels have a surplus of older defensemen so I am of the opinion that at least two of them will be traded for forwards or picks. I see the moves have started with Pouliot being traded.

Current Defense
    Paradis (20), Alexeyev (19), Sakowich (19) Sass (19) Barteaux (18). Herauf (18), Donohoe (18), Pouliot (18), Draffin (17), Gottfried (17)

Projected Defense
    Alexeyev (19), Sakowich (19), Barteaux (18), Herauf (18), Donohoe (18), Draffin (17), Gottfried (17).

I feel Paradis will be moved before the regular season begins. I would expect one of Sass or Sakowich to be moved as well. Alexeyev could bring a good return at the trade deadline if the rebels are out of the playoff picture.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb View Post

Projected Defense
    Alexeyev (19), Sakowich (19), Barteaux (18), Herauf (18), Donohoe (18), Draffin (17), Gottfried (17).

I feel Paradis will be moved before the regular season begins. I would expect one of Sass or Sakowich to be moved as well. Alexeyev could bring a good return at the trade deadline if the rebels are out of the playoff picture.
    Draffin has already been sent down so not looking like he will be a fixture on the Rebels blue line this year.

I am not sold on the de Wit experiment yet to fill a 20 year old spot on this team. He hasn’t shown any more offensive upside in the pre season games I have watched than he did the rest of his career. Johnson is already taking up the defensive forward 20 year old spot and I am not sure this team needs another one. This team is going to lack the ability to score goals. Short of Hagel, and he is going to have the other team’s best checking forward hanging off him all game, there isn’t anyone on this roster (barring a surprise rookie or sophomore breaking out offensively and that hasn’t happened for the Rebels for as long as I can remember) that will put up points consistently. The other 20 year old spot needs to go to an offensive forward or might as well keep Paradis and use the keep the puck out of your net strategy to win games. For sure there are some young D men that deserve a shot at breaking the line up and I (like you) would like to see Sass moved to open up the position.

Really looks like a pile of talent in the Rebel’s 15 and 16 year olds that were camp. Lots of speed and hockey sense. Makes the future of this team look pretty good. Disappointing to see some players not take the step again this year. Cutler didn’t look any better than last year. Probably why he is no longer with the team. Fahey was the worst example of this. Last year in camp and exhibition he played with an edge and energy. For two games in the tournament, I watched him float around passing up numerous opportunities to take the body. Sutter commented after the game that some of last year’s 16 year olds needed to be better. Fahey was a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Draffin has already been sent down so not looking like he will be a fixture on the Rebels blue line this year.
    Seems like the end of the line for him on the Rebels. Not very many players stay on the protected list after being reassigned after his fourth training camp. and return for their 18 year old season.

I am not sold on the de Wit experiment yet to fill a 20 year old spot on this team. He hasnít shown any more offensive upside in the pre season games I have watched than he did the rest of his career.
    He didn't appear to be a very coachable player in his first go around in Red Deer, or in Regina, or in Kootenay. Aside from the month leading up the Rebel's playoffs prior to the Memorial Cup, and the stretch prior to the playoffs last season for Victoria, he hasn't really seemed all that motivated. I am more concerned with having both him and Hagel as two thirds of the overage spots, as they both have questionable work ethic.

Johnson is already taking up the defensive forward 20 year old spot and I am not sure this team needs another one. This team is going to lack the ability to score goals.
    I would put him more in the category of a two-way forward. He should be capable of putting up 40-50 points this season.

The other 20 year old spot needs to go to an offensive forward or might as well keep Paradis and use the keep the puck out of your net strategy to win games.
    I agree that this is a good idea, unfortunately the offensive 20 year old forward that you speak of doesn't actually exist, so they have to work with what is actually available to them.

For sure there are some young D men that deserve a shot at breaking the line up and I (like you) would like to see Sass moved to open up the position.
    The blueline this season is going to be interesting. As far as returning defensemen go, I thought that in scrimmages and exhibition so far, Sakowich and Donahoe have looked completely lost, and Sass and Paradis have looked a lot more composed. Sakowich has traditionally had a slow start though. Pouliot getting moved has taken some heat off the vets I think, but they aren't all out of the woods yet.

Really looks like a pile of talent in the Rebelís 15 and 16 year olds that were camp. Lots of speed and hockey sense. Makes the future of this team look pretty good.
    Going to be some entertaining hockey to watch in a couple seasons when they should be playing a big role on the team.

Disappointing to see some players not take the step again this year. Cutler didnít look any better than last year. Probably why he is no longer with the team. Fahey was the worst example of this.
    I never really saw either one of them as becoming more than grinders, and they were both very chippy in training camp scrimmages but all that went away in the tournament. They are both the classic agitator, and I am not sure that the Rebels would have been able to endure the sheer number of penalties that Cutler and Fahey would have incurred this season on the same team. The only returning players that I see on the current roster that I think could become more offensive players this season are Morozoff, Douglas or eventually Borsyiuk.

Rowland is an interesting prospect. He lost nearly a whole year of development, but was possibly the most motivated player in training camp and so far in exhibition, and has elite level skating. At the very least, I think that he could end up being the 2020-21 version of Reese Johnson.

After watching the Medicine Hat game, I think it could be a long year for the Rebels. Sutter already talking about getting his players to play ďthe right wayĒ. Never a good sign at any time during the season as it is usually followed by a big losing streak. We arenít even at game 1 yet. De wit is an average whler. Not good enough to take a 20 year old spot on any team. IMO. Donohoe had a really tough night. Not sure there isnít 16 year olds that shouldnít be ahead of him in the pecking order. Mind you, I thought Leslie had a pretty tough night as well.
    Team is going to struggle to score. If anybody is really going to step up and provide offence for this team this year, they certainly didnít show it in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    After watching the Medicine Hat game, I think it could be a long year for the Rebels.
    Absolutely. They lost a ton of scoring in the offseason and are near the start of a full rebuild. While they could suprise a few people, I fully expect them to be in the bottom three teams in the Eastern Conference this season.

De wit is an average whler. Not good enough to take a 20 year old spot on any team.
    He has a slightly above-average skill set and size, but he doesn't show the greatest work ethic. What do you replace him with though? Do you waste resources on bringing in a marginally better overage forward during a rebuild? Sutter could be just waiting to see what 'free' overage forwards shake loose in the next two or three weeks.

Paradis is an overage version of Sass, so keeping him over de Wit isn't really changing much, and I would be surprised to see him beat out a forward, especially with all the 18 and 19 year old defensemen they have already. With zero 19 year old fowards in the lineup, I fully expect to see some more deals in the not so distant future to bring in a 19 year old forward or two.

Donohoe had a really tough night. Not sure there isnít 16 year olds that shouldnít be ahead of him in the pecking order.
    I am surprised that after the training camp and exhibition games that he was in, that he is still with the team. He had some really rough shifts throughout. I can't help but think that he is running out of time to prove himself.

Mind you, I thought Leslie had a pretty tough night as well.
    He will have nights like that, he just turned 16 a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post

He has a slightly above-average skill set and size, but he doesn't show the greatest work ethic. What do you replace him with though? Do you waste resources on bringing in a marginally better overage forward during a rebuild?
    Guess that is right. Paradis is gone and lots of teams only have 2 - 20 year olds on the roster with pretty much all the rest having 3. Short of guys being returned from nhl camps and putting teams in a position where they have to dump a guy, looks like De wit will be a Rebel for the year.