Thread: 2018/19 Season Discussion

Default 2018/19 Season Discussion

I am pleasantly surprised with the good start the rebels have had.
    The team as a whole has better puck movement than last year. This also makes the team look quicker.

The defence is being activated up ice much much more than in the past. The bottom pairing especially Donohoe, whom I like and hope keeps developing, is also getting into the action.

Barteaux is vastly improved over last year and it is easy to see why he was drafted.
    The De wit trial seems to be a success.
    Hagel is playing at a higher level than I expected.

Our top two lines Hagel/deWit/Zaytsev and Johnson/Tarzwell/Smith have been very competitive. If they can keep it up and our bottom two lines develop it might be a better year than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb View Post
    I am pleasantly surprised with the good start the rebels have had.
    A good start so far, but keep in mind that it is early on still and they have only faced four teams, and only one of those teams (on paper) is a legit playoff team this season.

The team as a whole has better puck movement than last year. This also makes the team look quicker.
    They are currently playing a very high-risk game up to this point, at least compared to previous Sutter teams. A lot more risky cross-ice passes than we are accustomed to seeing. Hopefully they are able to continue to maintain this strategy as the season goes on, as it has been entertaining.

The bottom pairing especially Donohoe, whom I like and hope keeps developing, is also getting into the action.
    He has bounced back from a really rough training camp to have all but bumped Carson Sass from the lineup (I believe).

The De wit trial seems to be a success.
    Hagel is playing at a higher level than I expected.
    Surprised to see the level of compete that Hagel has come back with this season, I honestly didn't know what to expect coming into the season. I think that de Wit is no longer worrying about getting drafted or signed by a pro team this go around, and is just having fun out there, and has had some success.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    He has bounced back from a really rough training camp to have all but bumped Carson Sass from the lineup (I believe).

Surprised to see the level of compete that Hagel has come back with this season, I honestly didn't know what to expect coming into the season. I think that de Wit is no longer worrying about getting drafted or signed by a pro team this go around, and is just having fun out there, and has had some success.
    Hagel is stirring the Rebels drink right now. I thought he might have a shot at being one of the top 20 year olds in the league if he could just check the attitude at the door and come to play every night. So far so good. Back to playing like he did when he was 17 and had something to prove as opposed to 18 and an NHL draft pick.
    I must admit I was wrong on de Wit. He has been really good to start the season. Hopefully he can keep it going. It is junior hockey....you can win a lot of games with decent goaltending and one line that is lights out. What the Rebels have had so far.
    I have thought Donohoe has been okay. He has looked really good for some of the game and then will throw the puck up the middle right to an opponent. Mind you Alexeyev did that the other game as well so even a first round pick makes mistakes. Both just need to clean up a few things defensively and will be in good shape.
    Not a far comment on Sass. I didn’t think he looked very good in the exhibition but he has been solid to start the season. Playing some tough minutes too.
    Would like to see Leslie play more. One game he only had 3 or 4 shifts. He might as well be developing in midget if that is all he is going to play with the Rebels.
    Last edited by Moonergroupie; 10-04-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    I must admit I was wrong on de Wit. He has been really good to start the season. Hopefully he can keep it going.
    Nobody I have talked to about it thought that he could come back and be a competitive player for Red Deer. It is starting to look like a pretty brilliant free pickup. He has taken a lot of dumb penalties so far, but has been an absolute beast in front of the net.

I have thought Donohoe has been okay. He has looked really good for some of the game and then will throw the puck up the middle right to an opponent. Mind you Alexeyev did that the other game as well so even a first round pick makes mistakes. Both just need to clean up a few things defensively and will be in good shape.
    The bad pass up the middle has really been his lone big defensive gaffe so far, and he has moved the puck well and played a physical game.

Not a far comment on Sass. I didnít think he looked very good in the exhibition but he has been solid to start the season. Playing some tough minutes too.
    He isn't a shutdown defenseman by any stretch, and he excels at moving the puck. He has played a lot of minutes on the second pairing with Barteaux, including a fair amount of power play time, but has yet to register a point somehow. As a 19 year old, he needs to be showing up on the scoresheet a lot more than he has been.

Would like to see Leslie play more. One game he only had 3 or 4 shifts. He might as well be developing in midget if that is all he is going to play with the Rebels.
    It will come as the season progresses. The fact that they are carrying 8 defensemen right now makes me think that one of them will be moved to get Gottfried more playing time.

Anders steals a victory, Shots on goal 51 to 21 for PA and Rebels win 4-3. This Brings back memories of goalies past (Ward, Reimer, Kuemper). This was a fun game to watch.

The team shows a good work ethic and some promise. It is nice to be competitive while rebuilding. Our top two lines held their own and even though the third line scored a couple of goals they were badly outplayed. The question is will any of these 3rd and 4th line forwards develop into players that will take the team to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb View Post
    The question is will any of these 3rd and 4th line forwards develop into players that will take the team to the next level.
    Got out played badly and didn’t deserve the win, but you are right, a really fun game to be at.

Fahey and Morozoff have been the biggest disappointments to start the season for me. Fahey has no edge or drive at all this year. Seems content to just be out there going through the motions. Morozoff has a couple assists but was given ample opportunity with top six minutes and power play time to start the season. Now he has worked his way down the line up. Hard to believe a kid that has that kind of size can play that soft a game. Has he thrown a body check yet?
    Sydlowski needs to learn to read. Sutter spells it out for the kid in the article. In order for him to get into the line-up, he needs to bring a physical presence. Finally gets back in against PA and I don’t remember him even leaning on anybody, little less throwing a body check.
    Even though Smith hasn’t been putting up the points, I have liked his game as of late. I thought he fit really well with Johnson and Tarzwell on the second line last game. Shows lots of hockey smarts and very defensively sound.

Zaytsev is going to lead this team offensively in the coming years. Hard to believe he is only 17 with what he has brought to the plate the first 7 games. He gets a little cute on the power play at times and coughs the puck up, but I am sure he is still adjusting to the dub and will keep getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb
    Anders steals a victory, Shots on goal 51 to 21 for PA and Rebels win 4-3. This Brings back memories of goalies past (Ward, Reimer, Kuemper). This was a fun game to watch.
    Great game by Anders. They continued to play a high-risk game in this one, which led to a lot of turnovers and shots against, but he was up to the challenge. Just an incredible goal by Johnson on the game winner as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb
    The question is will any of these 3rd and 4th line forwards develop into players that will take the team to the next level.
    There are a lot of 'WHL players' on those lines, but not a lot of high picks. There are a few gems from this current crop of players that I think will make it, but few will be big impact players--This is the price of hosting the Memorial Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Fahey and Morozoff have been the biggest disappointments to start the season for me. Fahey has no edge or drive at all this year. Seems content to just be out there going through the motions.
    I would like to see more from Morozoff for sure. As for Fahey, he has lost a lot of the edge to his game that resulted in him being drafted in the first place. Not sure if it was the loss of competition for that agitator role when Cutler was traded, or if the coaching staff has told him to reign it in a bit. He has been winning a lot of board battles and has been ok defensively, but he has never really been a big scorer at any level of hockey and is a grinder for sure, and I wouldn't expect him to ever contribute more than indirectly on the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie
    Morozoff has a couple assists but was given ample opportunity with top six minutes and power play time to start the season. Now he has worked his way down the line up. Hard to believe a kid that has that kind of size can play that soft a game. Has he thrown a body check yet?
    At 5'11 and 180lbs, I would say that he is average-sized for a 17 year old in this league. For the type of player that he is however, I would say he has much bigger problems right now than lack of physicality. As a 16 year old he showed flashes of doing things that goal scorers in the WHL do. He has yet to do any of those things this season.

Even though Smith hasnít been putting up the points, I have liked his game as of late. I thought he fit really well with Johnson and Tarzwell on the second line last game. Shows lots of hockey smarts and very defensively sound.
    The big upside to his game besides his size is how well he reads and reacts to the play. He has picked off a lot of passes so far this season.

Zaytsev is going to lead this team offensively in the coming years. Hard to believe he is only 17 with what he has brought to the plate the first 7 games. He gets a little cute on the power play at times and coughs the puck up, but I am sure he is still adjusting to the dub and will keep getting better and better.
    He has performed as advertised offensively I think, the one part of his game that I was surprised at is how he doesn't back down at all when there is rough stuff after the whistle. A lot of the import players that we have had in the past will push and shove after the whistle, while looking the other way, but Zaytsev stares them right down the whole time.