Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2018/19 Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    None more than captain Johnson who has done next to nothing for 15-20 games even though he has spent much of it playing with one of the best players in the league.
    I am not really sure anyone but you expected him to put up more than 50 points. He is among the league leaders in faceoff wins (possibly the leader?), and is strong on the backcheck. He simply doesn't have a good enough shot to be much more than that.

Like I said, biggest mistake of the season, not trading Hagel to set this team up nicely for future years
    I think that is a rather glib interpretation of how things actually work in the WHL.. An end of the round 1st round pick or two would have been welcome moving forward, but realistically there are only so many roster spots/education contracts available. it certainly wasn't going to drastically change the fortunes of the team.

as it is becoming more and more evident that the Tarzwells, Bains and Morozoffs are not capable of doing it going forward.
    Tough to say. Bains and Morozoff are only in their 17 year old seasons, so a lot can still happen with them. That being said, it is extremely clear that this team was exceeding all expectations early in the season, and as the season progressed, a lot of the players on the team have clearly 'plateaued', while the other teams in the league have continued to improve.

Next season will likely be a tough one, as while they should have a decent returning overage group, but they will lose Alexeyev. Alexeyev missed 14 games this season, and the Rebels scored one power play goal during that entire time, and looked decidedly hesitant whenever he wasn't in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post

I think that is a rather glib interpretation of how things actually work in the WHL.. An end of the round 1st round pick or two would have been welcome moving forward, but realistically there are only so many roster spots/education contracts available. it certainly wasn't going to drastically change the fortunes of the team.

That being said, it is extremely clear that this team was exceeding all expectations early in the season, and as the season progressed, a lot of the players on the team have clearly 'plateaued', while the other teams in the league have continued to improve.

Next season will likely be a tough one, as while they should have a decent returning overage group, but they will lose Alexeyev. Alexeyev missed 14 games this season, and the Rebels scored one power play goal during that entire time, and looked decidedly hesitant whenever he wasn't in the lineup.
    Obviously Sutter thought there was more to it than a bunch of players overachieving. Look what he gave up to bring Hausinger and Davis in. I think the way it is supposed to work in the WHL is you donít trade your young guys and draft picks away in a year where you potentially donít make the playoffs. And then to not trade a game changer away in the same year to stuff the shelves with potential prospects and picks is an error again.
    I get that Hausinger and Davis can come back as 20 year olds, but unless their play is much more consistent next year, and someone steps up a bit more offensively in their 20 year old season, Red Deer will have average 20 year olds next year. The choice between these two forwards and two good defensive defensemen.

Alexeyev has been back for a while and the power play has continued to suck so not sure you can pin it on that. Power play hasnít been that good for years. Looks more like they need to revamp the whole thing again.

The real test will be to see how the players respond to the tongue lashing they just got as if years past are any indication the year is now a write off as they will quit playing for Sutter. Hopefully they prove it wrong and come up with two big wins against Edmonton this weekend. Will be interesting to see.

Regardless of anyoneís opinion, if you finish the year out of the playoffs with Brandon Hagel in the lineup and gave up all those picks to bring in two 19 year olds, it was a mistake. Probably why Sutter is so upset right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Obviously Sutter thought there was more to it than a bunch of players overachieving. Look what he gave up to bring Hausinger and Davis in. I think the way it is supposed to work in the WHL is you donít trade your young guys and draft picks away in a year where you potentially donít make the playoffs.
    He made that trade prior to the team leveling off, and it was made more with next season in mind anyways. At the time of the trade, he had two fringe WHL'ers returning as overage players next season. Regardless of the outcome of next season, at least he can't say that he didn't try to add a strong leadership core.

And then to not trade a game changer away in the same year to stuff the shelves with potential prospects and picks is an error again.
    Again, it wouldn't be stuffing the shelves. He would have gotten a 1st rounder from around the end of the 1st round, and a later pick, and probably an unproven prospect.

I get that Hausinger and Davis can come back as 20 year olds, but unless their play is much more consistent next year, and someone steps up a bit more offensively in their 20 year old season, Red Deer will have average 20 year olds next year.
    Davis and Hausinger have been putting up almost a point per game on the second line since coming over, and will be a fixture on the first line next season.

The choice between these two forwards and two good defensive defensemen.
    Who are the two good defensive defensemen? Are you thinking they pick up another import defenseman in the draft? Masters will be a lock next season, and barring offseason moves, will join Barteaux, Herauf, Sakowich, Gottfried, Leslie and possibly Donahoe. That is a pretty crowded blueline.

Alexeyev has been back for a while and the power play has continued to suck so not sure you can pin it on that. Power play hasnít been that good for years. Looks more like they need to revamp the whole thing again.
    When you watch it though, if Alexeyev is on the point, they are able to move the other team's forwards around a lot more. Without him, they barely even guard the point. Having no other defensemen that can shoot would be a lot easier to swallow, if they weren't so bad on the penalty kill too.

Crazy finish to a game that the Rebels absolutely needed to win in order to have any hope of making the playoffs. They battled the Wheat Kings, and two of the biggest Wheat King fans in Watt and Iverson, all night to pull off the win.

The victory was bittersweet though, as thanks to an uncalled brutally dirty knee by McCartney, it would appear that Alexeyev's season is over. Should be a decent suspension coming to McCartney and hopefully to the two clowns they sent to officiate this game.

If Alexeyev's prior three absences from the team are any indication of things, if they make the playoffs now, they are going to have to do it without any sort of special teams.

The Rebels are definitely backing into the playoffs. It looks like they will be in the second wild card position. From what I can tell even if they tie with Brandon the Rebels would win the tie breaker on the basis of most wins.

The Wheat Kings had plenty of opportunity to deal the killing blow to the Rebel's post-season, and I honestly half expected them to, since they kind of owe them one from the Memorial cup. The Rebel's post-season berth will have far more to do with what the Wheat Kings did in the last few weeks, than anything they did themselves of late.

It will be nice to see a few more games, but I have no real lofty expectations of them in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by GDReb View Post
    The Rebels are definitely backing into the playoffs. It looks like they will be in the second wild card position. From what I can tell even if they tie with Brandon the Rebels would win the tie breaker on the basis of most wins.
    If Brandon wins their last 2 games they would be tied in wins, it then goes to wins/losses between the 2 team which they are tied, it then goes to goals for and against which the Rabels would win and advance to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by SNIPE View Post
    If Brandon wins their last 2 games they would be tied in wins, it then goes to wins/losses between the 2 team which they are tied, it then goes to goals for and against which the Rabels would win and advance to the playoffs.
    My mistake I thought Brandon had 31 wins ....duh

Rebels will play PA in first round regardless of what happens in the remaining games. I think this is the best match up for the Rebels, all 4 games this season have been decided by 1 goal with Rebels winning one and going to a shootout in another one.

So is there any word on Alexeyev? I know Red Deer has played PA tough this season but the Rebels better find another gear quick if they want to beat PA 4 times out of 7.