Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Off-Season Discussion

I waited all day for them to say "April Fools!", as yesterday was also the 20 year anniversary of Nunavut becoming an official territory. So it seemed likely it could have been playing into it, but there was no update. April fools jokes are supposed to be revealed after noon, and that didn't happen. So, this is looking far more legit than first thought. Still feels weird, but we will find out very soon I'm sure.

If it turns out to be entirely true, this is quite the interesting pick up! Not sure how they heard about him or found him, but I'm very intrigued! If true, this could help out the weak 2002 or 2003 forward groups I keep alluding to. Would make me that much more excited about spring camp. As 'chopper' said, Paddock and McMullin apparently seem very excited about this "player".

As for the first Nunavut player thing... Jordin Tootoo was technically from Manitoba. Perhaps this "Drake Rogers" would be the first Nunavut-born player??

Also...I really hope no kids Google his name!...HAHAHAHA!!!
    Last edited by Fight Guy; 04-02-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fight Guy View Post
    I waited all day for them to say "April Fools!", as yesterday was also the 20 year anniversary of Nunavut becoming an official territory. So it seemed likely it could have been playing into it, but there was no update. April fools jokes are supposed to be revealed after noon, and that didn't happen. So, this is looking far more legit than first thought. Still feels weird, but we will find out very soon I'm sure.

If it turns out to be entirely true, this is quite the interesting pick up! Not sure how they heard about him or found him, but I'm very intrigued! If true, this could help out the weak 2002 or 2003 forward groups I keep alluding to. Would make me that much more excited about spring camp. As 'chopper' said, Paddock and McMullin apparently seem very excited about this "player".

As for the first Nunavut player thing... Jordin Tootoo was technically from Manitoba. Perhaps this "Drake Rogers" would be the first Nunavut-born player??

Also...I really hope no kids Google his name!...HAHAHAHA!!!
    I'm positive it's a hoax, and quite surprised they used this guys name as I'm sure the google results might shock some people!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    I'm positive it's a hoax, and quite surprised they used this guys name as I'm sure the google results might shock some people!
    You could be right on that…!

100% it was an April Fool's joke (a very bad one). At my office, I hadn't even realized that it was April 1st.....saw the Pats tweet, told two guys that they signed a kid from Nunavut. The second I realize it was April 1st.....I realized the Pats tricked me. Wasnt that funny....guess I am gullible.

The Hurricanes lost to the Hitmen in game 7 last night 4-2. They couldn't tie the game up before Mark Kastelic scored the empty netter. I bet that has to sting, losing out in the first round, after trading away a significant amount of resources for a few good players. Of course, it probably didn't help that then newly acquired 19 year old goaltender Liam Hughes left the team in January after only playing 6 games. And the Hurricanes only got to play 2 games at the Enmax Center, so they definitely missed out on revenue. I was hoping that they would at least make it to the third round to play the winner of PA vs Saskatoon, but it wasn't meant to be.

PA Vs Saskatoon and Everett vs Spokane are the two series that I am most interested in, in the 2nd round.

Default Lethbridge Done!

As Pats7 said weak D and goaltending = early exit, and that's what happened in the Lethbridge series. There is no doubt that the Canes were at a huge disadvantage being booted out of their own building. They essentially lost home ice advantage i.e.familiarity with rink and boards, dressing rooms etc. However the biggest single reason is because their goaltending and defence were weak. I posted when Hughes walked out, so did their playoff aspirations. That is a real tough break and situation. Last year a rather rag-tag team limped into the playoffs but behind Flodell they had a real good playoff run winning the Central Division. What a difference a good goalie makes. A few years bak the Pats knocked them out in the first round, then the following year the second round. Now going out in the first round again will create a lot of questions i'm sure. Anholt did most of the right things but couldn't have ever anticipated what Hughes did to him.

Eh, in regards to assets spent, they were playing with house money via swift overpayment. They didnt really use up any future assets that may affect buiding the big playoff run they'll have in two years. This one was for kicks, though as we saw it didn't work out.

Id argue that hughes leaving was more of a mental blow than anything. He is a fringe starter with little experience. Frankly, id say if tetachuk is going to be their guy for the next two years, its best he gets some raw experience now anyways, rather than burning it on a guy who wouldnt be able to cut it as an OA next year.

Although they wont be as good next year, i bet they’ll advance further in the playoffs next year. Calgary will be tougher though, next time.

Ita just a shame all those former pats didn’t share a better fate. Elmer never did find a niche here, and was hindered by being born a day too early(being a 98 on dec 31 may have been the difference between staying and going) but at least he found a way into juniors nevermind managing to achieve success. I wouldve never imagined him getting an nhl contract.

The Pats traded the rights to Carter Savoie to Winnipeg for a 5th in 2019 and two conditional picks (2nd, 3rd).

The Pats didn't get a good player in return or a 1st, but a 5th is better than the 9th they used to draft him and the 2nd/3rd round conditional picks will help the Pats in the future if Carter does end up playing in the WHL. However, if Regina is too far from home for the Savoie brothers to play, Winnipeg is even further away. But now that the Savoie brothers will have an opportunity to play on the same team, that could change things. Winnipeg at least has the option of flipping the rights to both brothers to an Alberta based team, if they won't report. After Winnipeg selects Matthew 1st overall in this years bantam draft, of course.

http://reginapats.com/article/trade-...-with-winnipeg

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    The Pats traded the rights to Carter Savoie to Winnipeg for a 5th in 2019 and two conditional picks (2nd, 3rd).

The Pats didn't get a good player in return or a 1st, but a 5th is better than the 9th they used to draft him and the 2nd/3rd round conditional picks will help the Pats in the future if Carter does end up playing in the WHL. However, if Regina is too far from home for the Savoie brothers to play, Winnipeg is even further away. But now that the Savoie brothers will have an opportunity to play on the same team, that could change things. Winnipeg at least has the option of flipping the rights to both brothers to an Alberta based team, if they won't report. After Winnipeg selects Matthew 1st overall in this years bantam draft, of course.

http://reginapats.com/article/trade-...-with-winnipeg
    The return at face value seems very light. It may have to do with what other teams think of the Savoie situation and what they were willing to pay. The pick will be #89 in this draft which is like a bottom 4th if you will. I imagine if Carter reports to the Ice, the other two picks will kick in. The Savoie family may now take another run at Hockey Canada and perhaps try to get Matthew there in Winnipeg as well next season. The light return package seems to suggest that Winnipeg isn't entirely convinced yet either. Make no mistake Carter is a first round calibre player so to get him that cheap the Ice aren't taking a big gamble at all. Winnipeg has clearly signalled who they will take and are probably going to play hardball for a while. If it doesn't pan out, as Reider says they will likely move them to a an Alberta team for an advantageous return.

I don't think the return is light. They swapped a 9th for a 5th and if he signs, get a 2nd and a 3rd. That's pretty good for someone who wasn't likely ever to play here. And perhaps the ICE get him AND Matt signed before the draft?? Pats could end up with a 24th overall pick this season as well. As you said, I would not be shocked at all if Matt all of a sudden does get exceptional status afterall. If he commits soon enough ahead of the draft, Hockey Canada would be stupid not to let it happen.

For the ICE, this trade was either extra leverage for the opportunity at hand or signals that's "negotiations" are far further along than most would imagine...which would be great!