Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Off Season Thread

Default 2019 Off Season Thread

Ok Boys and Ladies. Lets start talking about next year. I will start it off with my thoughts on the players who we have and might have going forward.

FORWARDS

Luka Burzan- Without out our doubt he should be our best player next season. He will need to be a 100 point player if we want to find success. I think he can be that star everyone thought he was going to be

Connor Gutenberg-I am going to say his season was a disappointment. I expected more numbers from him. He has all the tools to be a great junior player. Maybe he can put it together in his 20 year old season.

Cole Reinhardt- Another guy we were hoping who would take a step forward but he keeps taking baby steps instead. Again I think with a little more intensity to his game he could go to another level.

Ben McCartney- I like McCartney. He has a lot of skill and he could find himself drafted this year. I think he found some Chemistry with Grieg and I think they could put up some numbers next year. Looking for big things from him. I think he could score 40 next year.

Ridly Grieg - I have to admit to being wrong about Grieg. I wasn't in love with the pick when they made it. But he has changed my mind this season. He is the future going forward. He could play himself into being a 1st round pick next year. If he can improve on his season and keep pushing the way he does I predict a big year for him.

Caiden Daley- Everyone's favorite, and really I don't know if the hate he gets is because he is black or something but Daley while he will never live up to his draft status is a pretty hard working kid. They need to utilize him for what he is and play him as a bottom 6 checking forward and he will be just fine. 30 points and some solid defensive play from him and I will be happy

Baron Thompson- I don't know what to say about him. Disappointing? That sums up his career I think. Is he going to back? No idea. He does add that element that we lack if he decides to play that away and that is a big IF. I would rather they find a better 20 IMO.

Lynden McCallum - The anti Daley. I mean I guess cause he is white and from Brandon everyone will forgive all his faults. He just didn't impress me as much as I would have liked and he really needs to get better at the defensive side of the game if he wants to stick around or he will be Junior A fodder

Marcus Sekundiak - Speaking of Junior A fodder we come to Sekundiak. He just isn't cut out for the WHL. They need to part ways with him

Johnny Hooker
    - Another guy heading into the Junior A fodder territory. I think he gets another year to prove he can do something other then "work hard"

Ty Thorpe - I think with an elevated role next season Ty could be a very solid WHLer. He will never be a star but he will be useful in a lot of roles

The Challengers

Nolan Ritchie If he can overcome his size and utilize his skill in this league he will be a star. If not he will be a star in the MJHL for someone. I do have high hopes for him.

Jake Chiasson He is going to be a star in this league. I can envision in a year that him and Grieg will be as good a 1/2 punch up the middle as any team. He is everything we need. A big skilled center who can play the game any way we need him too.

Bode Hagan- I think the Wheaties are high on this kid. I have seen play for OHA this year a few times and I can see why. A very smart quick player with nice hands who loves to pass first. It will be interesting to see if he can transition to the WHL or not

Brett Hyland - A guy with all the tools you need to be very good in this league. I think he may have a slower transition to the league but he is already 6 foot or so and 170 so his size will not be an issue. Lots of skill too.

DEFENSE

Zach Wyntick- Love him or hate him he will be here next season and he will have a prominent role. He will score, it is just a matter of how committed he will be to defense

Braden Schnieder - It is his draft year and he is highly rated. Point wise I think he will step it up as well getting more PP time and playing a ton of minutes. Could be a real good year for him

Chad Nychuk- Pleasantly surprised by his emergence as the year went along. I think he turns into a solid Junior capable of playing in both ends of the ice

Vincent Iorio- playing in this league as a 16 year old Defenseman isn't easy. I think Iorio did fairly well and I think big things are ahead for him. If he can be quicker and make decisions faster next year he has a good shot at being drafted

Neithan Salame
    - I think he is going to be a solid bottom type of Junior D man. Very safe type of player. Type of guy that will end up paired with a younger player

Johnny Lambos - I think I expected more out of Johnny this year. I am not sure he has what it takes to be a good WHLer. He seems like Junior A fodder to me.

The Challengers

Jacob Hoffrogge- While I have never seen him play I have heard good things about him. A lot will depend physically for him, can he handle that part of moving to the WHL. If he decides to sign though I am sure he will get a long look

Jack Zayat - I think they expect Jack to fully make the team next year. If he wants to be a good WHLer he will have to assert himself more at this level. I would almost describe him as a too safe player.

Logan Hammett
    - Another guy that is signed and if he comes in with the right attitude will stick around. Never seen him play but a friend who watches alot of the Sask midget league described him as a solid two way player with very good size.

GOALIES

Ethan Kruger- Can he take it to the next level and be a full time starter in this league? We shall find out

Connor Ungar - My personal opinion is I think they like Ungar better then they like Kruger. I think the goaltender position will be wide open for whoever wants it the most

The Challengers

I am not sure who this would be. They must have a couple of guys on there protected list

The Off season plan

WHL Bantam draft

What I would like to see. Keep all the 1st round picks. Draft Connor Geekie,A dman, and the top ranked goalie.
    Trade a 3rd round pick to PA for Zach Hayes

CHL Import draft

Draft 2 euros that are going to grow with this group. Get a 17 year old forward and 17 year old D man with some promise and make sure they report

Great read Joe . I will just add that if PA trades Hayes to the Wheaties I would probably throw my shoe at Hunt. I don't know if the Raiders can keep him or not next year but he is just to good to give to a rival. Send him to Victoria if nothing else.

F Rieger Lorenz (2004) from Calgary commits to University of Denver for 2022-23.

Another highly-touted bantam player who will now slide down the order in the upcoming draft.

Great post Joe.I agree on your assessment on almost every player except Daley. He is not what the team needs. We are too soft and need more grit---like McCartney and even Greig in the lineup. Daley falls down when someone as much as looks at him. Very limited skill. Junior A player like Sekundiak, McCallum, etc. Hayes would be a super pick up. Plays nasty --we need that element. Agree--draft Geekie, but not sure he's there at number 6. A goalie would be a good idea as well with one of the top 4 picks we have. Also agree, draft two imports that are 17 and let them develop. But, draft ones that will report. Overall there will be a bigger turnover on this team than some may think, because the players you mentioned that are Junior A caliber should not be on the team.

Cool it Joe with the racial crap . I agree with your assessment of the Dmen I think your bang on . I totally disagree about Daley . Everybody makes him out to be so good defensively. I just don’t see it. If he’s not scoring it’s time to move on . the last half of the year I thought his effort at times was lacking gliding for line changes . I had high hopes for him when he played some games at 15 but even with the ice time Anning gave him I didn’t see improvement. I don’t care if he’s black white or pink he is who he is . I Sekundiak in my opinion with the right coach could be a good bottom six guy I know I’m in the minority on that thought . Gutenberg I thought was a disappointed as well thought he was just alright . Time to move on from McCallum to many young guys that are just better then him . Totally agree about the imports as well l

Did joe just call us all racist for criticizing the way a black kid plays hockey? Wow, really Joe? I was a big Ryan Reaves fan when he was with the wheatkings and if I can remember correctly , heís black isnít he? Caiden Daley just flat out hasnít been a likeable player from a fans stand-point. He shows some hustle and works hard but there are so many flaws in his game for such a highly touted bantam draft pick. Heís too light, gets out-muscled in every battle... just not a style that is likeable for fans. Now Iím not saying racist people donít exist and there could even be a few that go to games, who knows... but Iím pretty sure the posters in this forum donít give a sh*t about what colour he is.
    Last edited by denim_dan; 03-22-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Dan. Totally agree there is zero racism here in our evaluation of Daley. Joe may have pulled a Bob Nicholson of the Oilers here. Oops!

Hey It is Manitoba after all so who knows?

It was a joke lighten up boys

This does not sound like a piece that involves a certain Head Coach leaving:

https://www.westmanjournal.com/sport...son-1.23770270

No it doesn't but what do you expect him to say? I don't care about next year I am going to be fired this summer anyway. As far as I know his contract is up this year and the fact he does not have another yet should be a sign I hope. I pray that he isn't anyway.