Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Off Season Thread

Not much talk on here about the bantam draft which is strange because this draft could set the team up for years. The team could make some moves to get a higher pick or trade a first rounder for a player or simply pick 4 players in the first 23. Any more rumours out there?

Just a rumor....dont know how valid it is but I'm thinking it's legit. I was parked just outside the arena at the Canad inns entrance having a chit chat with an old friend while downing another beer..when all of a sudden...Duncan Campbell walks up to me ..of course I asked for his autograph to which he got out his favorite (yellowish pen) and signed my wheatkings Jersey �� I WAS ECCTATIC. Anyways I asked him if there was any chance of him getting the new wheatkings coaching job but he said he didnt wanna get on Annings bad side because manning thinks another year in Brandon and he could go pro.

Way to ruin my Wednesday Ninja... haha. Well last month Anning got some US prospect gig. So having that on his resume sure makes it hard for Armstrong to get rid of him. None the less if it was going to get done it would have been done after the season, even with his contract coming to an end. They need a coach in there for the draft. I'm sure the coach has some input, albeit only in who's young hockey career he can screw up. Will KM bring him to Edmonton or Seattle? lol oh god
    Last edited by Molsonsman; 05-01-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Sounds like Savoie will be drafted first overall by Winnipeg. If so the WK should trade up with PG for pick 2 and draft Geekie who to me is a can't miss prospect and from a business point of view would really help attendance. It's a win-win situation. This is possible because the WK can control the draft with all the picks they have early.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    Just a rumor....dont know how valid it is but I'm thinking it's legit. I was parked just outside the arena at the Canad inns entrance having a chit chat with an old friend while downing another beer..when all of a sudden...Duncan Campbell walks up to me ..of course I asked for his autograph to which he got out his favorite (yellowish pen) and signed my wheatkings Jersey �� I WAS ECCTATIC. Anyways I asked him if there was any chance of him getting the new wheatkings coaching job but he said he didnt wanna get on Annings bad side because manning thinks another year in Brandon and he could go pro.
    Big, if true. Duncan would certainly be an excellent candidate. I’ve also heard rumblings of Kelly potentially selling the team to Blake trotter, along with Daryl wolski as a co-owner.

If you are Winnipeg and are going to draft Savoie first overall without assurances that he will report , this is a receipt for a disaster . Winnipeg has not been a good Jr hockey league host at all over the years and they need to start with a winning team off the start to try and build a following . To a more established team it might not be as big of a deal but for Winnipeg's first every drafted player , for him not to report would be really bad . I'm also not really pissed at so many players committing early there intentions to go NCAA . This just means if you draft this player you know the risks involved , it's better than drafting a player high and finding out later he has changed his mind later .

Quote Originally Posted by denim_dan View Post
    Big, if true. Duncan would certainly be an excellent candidate. I’ve also heard rumblings of Kelly potentially selling the team to Blake trotter, along with Daryl wolski as a co-owner.
    Duncan Campbell an excellent coaching candidate?? What qualifies him to be a good coach? He has zero experience as a coach and starting in the WHL. Give me a break!! Are you his dad or brother? You'd have to be to make that statement. He may eventually be coaching material but certainly not now. Do Trotter and Wolski have the assets to buy the team? Just what we need Wolski the poster boy for NCCA recruiting getting involved in the WK? Really!! You had better be dreaming.
    Not sure why KM would sell the team unless he was going to take the GM's job in Edmonton. I am not sure why he would want to get involved in that dysfunctional organization unless he had total powers to first clean out the" old boys club" that stink like dead fish in the organization and totally revamp the scouting and coaching staffs. Add to this challenge the fact that the team is maxed out as far as the salary cap goes and the task is monumental and not fixable for a couple of years for sure. He needs a good GM in Brandon and I'm not sure Armstrong is the answer after his screw ups last year. A new coach is paramount to keeping fans engaged and few buying tickets.
    Last edited by booboo; 05-01-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark3 View Post
    If you are Winnipeg and are going to draft Savoie first overall without assurances that he will report , this is a receipt for a disaster . Winnipeg has not been a good Jr hockey league host at all over the years and they need to start with a winning team off the start to try and build a following . To a more established team it might not be as big of a deal but for Winnipeg's first every drafted player , for him not to report would be really bad . I'm also not really pissed at so many players committing early there intentions to go NCAA . This just means if you draft this player you know the risks involved , it's better than drafting a player high and finding out later he has changed his mind later .
    How has Winnipeg not been a good junior hockey host over the years? What exactly are you referencing? They haven’t had a junior team since 84? They also recently sold out of season ticket deposits within 2 days of releasing them to the public. Most people I’ve spoken to in Winnipeg are thrilled to finally get a WHL team back.

Smart players keep their options open. If the League was smart they would help out their Member Clubs by moving their Draft age up to match everyone else. This way teams could be what they are, sure they'd lose a few players by waiting, but the quality of the teams would increase.

Would also love to hear how Beef and Trotter outbid Jacobson on any Wheatie's team sale ...

If you are Winnipeg and are going to draft Savoie first overall without assurances that he will report , this is a receipt for a disaster . Winnipeg has not been a good Jr hockey league host at all over the years and they need to start with a winning team off the start to try and build a following .
    Drafting Savoie will do nothing good or bad for their inaugural season in Winnipeg, as he isn't eligible to play for them this season. They have a lot of work to do to make a competitive team out of the dumpster fire that they have had for the last few seasons in Kootenay.