Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2019 off season

Default 2019 off season

Well I doubt anyone predicted the Raiders will be hanging a few banners in September, it's been too long and as a fan since the 70s, this was a playoff run I will never forget, that winning goal by Hannoun set up by the skill of Gregor will always be one of my best hockey memories.

So now we have the shortest Raider off-season we could wish for. Which players are coming back, who is gone?

Besides the obvious overagers, in my GMs chair I see Kelly, Leason and Scottie gone. Would be great to see any of them back, but if not it leaves us with a huge veteran presence on D if Pachal returns, as I assume Hayes will be back as well.

What about Sapego? I would assume he goes back to Europe and plays pro, no doubt he won't have trouble finding "work" there.
    If (when) that happens, it would be nice to see PA go after another Balarussian. They seem willing to report, and would keep Protas happy.

So many young prospects, already can't wait till August.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Well I doubt anyone predicted the Raiders will be hanging a few banners in September, it's been too long and as a fan since the 70s, this was a playoff run I will never forget, that winning goal by Hannoun set up by the skill of Gregor will always be one of my best hockey memories.

So now we have the shortest Raider off-season we could wish for. Which players are coming back, who is gone?

Besides the obvious overagers, in my GMs chair I see Kelly, Leason and Scottie gone. Would be great to see any of them back, but if not it leaves us with a huge veteran presence on D if Pachal returns, as I assume Hayes will be back as well.

What about Sapego? I would assume he goes back to Europe and plays pro, no doubt he won't have trouble finding "work" there.
    If (when) that happens, it would be nice to see PA go after another Balarussian. They seem willing to report, and would keep Protas happy.

So many young prospects, already can't wait till August.
    We can only keep 3-20yr olds unfortunately. Pachal and Hayes are a lock, I would guess Hunt goes for a skilled 20yr old forward. Martin and Masella traded unless Pachal and Hayes get a NHL offer...I don't think we would go with 3-20yr old d-men. Then there is Belcourt who can play as a 19yr old...Hunt has his work cut out for him...no news as of yet signing Hunt, Habscheid?

Given Leasons fall in the draft, and the fact Protas was also picked by Washington, I think it is a great possibility that Leason comes back. Much like Gregor, I think the dub is better for his development. It also allows Washington to keep the Protas - Leason tandum together. Leason is the kind of kid that needs one more of junior to develop his upside offensive potential. If he comes back our only real weakness will be goaltending. Not sure if there is a nineteen year old out there that PA could acquire?

My guess is Pachal, Hayes, and Leason will be the 20s for 2019-2020. However Is one really good year enough to make Leason a full time pro? Personally, I think Washington sends him back with a list of areas to tighten up on. Martin and Masella could help bring in some depth up front.

Heard Leason is most likely not coming back. Team is unlikely to go with 3 20 year olds on D. What 20 year old forward might be out there for the team could go after. Possibly Henry from Lethbridge returns to junior?

The Pats have two capable 19 year old goaltenders in Max Paddock and Dean McNabb. I'm sure they'll be looking to trade one of them before the deadline.

Brett Leason is a big strong guy and he had a great season last year. I don't see why he couldn't move on to professional hockey next year, but I definitely see the argument for keeping him in junior one more year considering he had his break out season as a 19 year old. The Pats got Adam Brooks back for his 20 year old season, but Toronto was apparently loaded with talent at forward (center) in their system and Brooks isn't as big as Leason. I'm not certain that Nick Henry or Jake Leschyshyn will be back with Lethbridge next year either, but it's possible. The Pats would receive a 3rd round draft pick from Lethbridge for each of them if they did come back, so it wouldn't suck if they did return for their OA season. Nick Henry and Brett Leason finished 7th and 8th overall in league scoring last year. Leschyshyn was 13th. I'm not sure that any of them have anything left to prove at the WHL level.

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    The Pats have two capable 19 year old goaltenders in Max Paddock and Dean McNabb. I'm sure they'll be looking to trade one of them before the deadline.

Brett Leason is a big strong guy and he had a great season last year. I don't see why he couldn't move on to professional hockey next year, but I definitely see the argument for keeping him in junior one more year considering he had his break out season as a 19 year old. The Pats got Adam Brooks back for his 20 year old season, but Toronto was apparently loaded with talent at forward (center) in their system and Brooks isn't as big as Leason. I'm not certain that Nick Henry or Jake Leschyshyn will be back with Lethbridge next year either, but it's possible. The Pats would receive a 3rd round draft pick from Lethbridge for each of them if they did come back, so it wouldn't suck if they did return for their OA season. Nick Henry and Brett Leason finished 7th and 8th overall in league scoring last year. Leschyshyn was 13th. I'm not sure that any of them have anything left to prove at the WHL level.

I don't follow when people use the "anything to prove" comment. Whether or not a pro prospect returns has nothing to do with what the player "has to prove". His pro team will look at their depth chart and see where (if) he fits in.

I don't follow when people use the "anything to prove" comment. Whether or not a pro prospect returns has nothing to do with what the player "has to prove". His pro team will look at their depth chart and see where (if) he fits in.
    You are correct on both points and the Adam Brooks example I provided proves you to be correct on both points. He (Brooks) had a really good 19 year old season (1.67 pts/g) and Toronto kept him in junior anyways after looking at their depth chart. The same thing could happen to Leason and/or Henry/Leschyshyn. I'm not too sure what Washington's depth chart looks like. Perhaps the use of the "anything left to prove" words was not the best choice. All I am trying to say is that I think Leason, Henry, and Leschsychyn are all good enough to play professional hockey right now if their respective NHL teams agree and have room on their respective depth charts. Of course, it wouldn't suck watching them play another year in the WHL if one or all three of them get sent back.
    Last edited by Reider; 07-10-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    You are correct on both points and the Adam Brooks example I provided proves you to be correct on both points. He (Brooks) had a really good 19 year old season (1.67 pts/g) and Toronto kept him in junior anyways after looking at their depth chart. The same thing could happen to Leason and/or Henry/Leschyshyn. I'm not too sure what Washington's depth chart looks like. Perhaps the use of the "anything left to prove" words was not the best choice. All I am trying to say is that I think Leason, Henry, and Leschsychyn are all good enough to play professional hockey right now if their respective NHL teams agree and have room on their respective depth charts. Of course, it wouldn't suck watching them play another year in the WHL if one or all three of them get sent back.
    I agree, seeing these players back makes for better overall teams. In fact Leason coming back could mean the difference between PA finishing 2-3rd in the division (behind Stoon, depending on Dach), and fighting for a wildcard - which I believe they will definitely achieve at worst IMO. I saw today Protas has been signed by Washington, it's a little surprising to see him get paid before Leason with the Capitals.

I agree, seeing these players back makes for better overall teams. In fact Leason coming back could mean the difference between PA finishing 2-3rd in the division (behind Stoon, depending on Dach), and fighting for a wildcard - which I believe they will definitely achieve at worst IMO. I saw today Protas has been signed by Washington, it's a little surprising to see him get paid before Leason with the Capitals.
    I was surprised Ty Lewis didn't get assigned to Bdn last season, well, with Anning as coach maybe I'm not surprised!!
    What are you guys thinking about Dach, he's not good enough yet to stick in the NHL is he? Are Chicago that desperate to get him to the show?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.