Thread: 2019 Pre-season

Default 2019 Pre-season

Training camp starts tonight, nice to see the 2 recent signings - hopefully both players can help fill big voids, if not now, in a year or 2. I won't be able to attend at all, will be gone fishing. Hopefully somebody will be watching some of the camp and report on their opinions.

Well.... after watching camp what’s everyone’s thoughts. My take on new guys at camp. Balas will be backing up as he had strong games when I watched. Kosior had a really strong camp and should be in the lineup this year I hope. MacNutt is another young player that I thought played well. Clark looked like he thinks he has a spot sewn up on the team the way his effort and compete level looked all weekend. Poor effort and compete coupled with getting beat 1-on-1 and not being able to make a breakout pass doesn’t look good at all. Aside from throwing the odd hit I thought he was probably number 10-12 on depth chart. There was a number of young dmen that I thought have promise. Kosior, MacNutt, Gislason, Gotaas, Fouquette, and Pennock. The little Skulmoski in the orange gear actually played well I thought. Up front Laventure and Herman will be nice additions along with Ilya and Ivan. Linklater has a nice camp as well. Reminds me a lot of Ozzy with his puck handling and compete level. It’d be nice if he could add some size and strength which will eventually happen. Dysart from California could be a solid player in the coming years. I didn’t get to see Niall play other than one shift so hard to form an opinion on that. Nagy is hard to miss out there. He just needs to settle down and play his game and points will come. Anyone else have thoughts to share.

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk7 View Post
    Well.... after watching camp what’s everyone’s thoughts. My take on new guys at camp. Balas will be backing up as he had strong games when I watched. Kosior had a really strong camp and should be in the lineup this year I hope. MacNutt is another young player that I thought played well. Clark looked like he thinks he has a spot sewn up on the team the way his effort and compete level looked all weekend. Poor effort and compete coupled with getting beat 1-on-1 and not being able to make a breakout pass doesn’t look good at all. Aside from throwing the odd hit I thought he was probably number 10-12 on depth chart. There was a number of young dmen that I thought have promise. Kosior, MacNutt, Gislason, Gotaas, Fouquette, and Pennock. The little Skulmoski in the orange gear actually played well I thought. Up front Laventure and Herman will be nice additions along with Ilya and Ivan. Linklater has a nice camp as well. Reminds me a lot of Ozzy with his puck handling and compete level. It’d be nice if he could add some size and strength which will eventually happen. Dysart from California could be a solid player in the coming years. I didn’t get to see Niall play other than one shift so hard to form an opinion on that. Nagy is hard to miss out there. He just needs to settle down and play his game and points will come. Anyone else have thoughts to share.
    Kosior is a lock in my opinion...the only question is, will he sign? Kechkin and Usau looked good in the green and white game. I agree with all that you posted here...I think Belcourt will be on the team for sure, looked as good as any of our vets out there. Goaltending is the big question mark...can Bilous elevate his game? There are 2- 20yr old goaltenders out there to be had....Bailey Brkin from the Chiefs was released and Tendeck from Vancouver is amongst 6- 20yr olds over there...do we go that route? We have spots for 8 new players I think...I saw a lot of talent to replace those positions....

I watch Naill out there during the camp and he looked good controlled the play when he had the puck hard to miss. I can see one of our 20 dmen being traded for a 20 yr old forward this season. But your assessment is pretty bang on. I liked Skulmoski i didnt at the start of the camp but he did stand out. He could be a true PP QB that we have been looking for.
    www.childrenswish.ca

Great comments from everyone. Questions got answered with those 3 kids signing today. The future looks bright. This will probably be a transition (but still playoff) season, but the following 2 seasons we could compete for a division title again.

With all do respect sandman.... are you ok ? I’m a wheatking fan and have always enjoyed your comments as true with wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Molsonsman View Post
    With all do respect sandman.... are you ok ? I’m a wheatking fan and have always enjoyed your comments as true with wisdom.
    I'm good, thanks. I stick by my comments. The Raiders have a very strong group of 16 and 17's this season. They lose a lot of fire power from last season, but we will probably see a few top end 20 dmen return, at least on will be traded for a forward. The division won't be overly strong with Regina rebuilding, and MJ/Winnipeg far from powerful. If Dach returns give the Blades first, with PA and Brandon fighting for 2nd.
    When you go watch the Raiders this season you will see why I think PA will compete again for a division title. Laventure and Nagy up front, Allan, McNutt and Kosior on the backend. All rookies this year that will turn heads.