Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Training Camp/Post Season

  1. #1

    Default Training Camp/Post Season

    The few people that I have talked to are more disappointed with those not attending Pats camp than anything. As I have said before, I trust that Daniil Gushkin will end up with the team. Although.....not being on the list for camp is a first for Paddock. Ty Smilanic not attending camp is not a surprise at all, I thought he was a pipe dream for this year. So with people worried about those not attending, I decided to look more into the last 3 bantam drafts:

    2017- Attending Camp- Cole Dubinskiy, Sam McGinley, Jared Miller
    -Not attending Camp- Ty Smilanic (3rd) + 6 other Picks
    ** With only 3 guys attending camp and 7 guys not attending......this has to be a bust draft.

    2018- Attending Camp- Jake Snashall, Dylan Weigel, Colby Wotton, Marcus Taylor, Easton Armstrong, Colby Bear, Jake Johnson**
    -Not attending- 2 lower Picks
    **Most guys attending camp so that is a positive. I think Johnson will make the team which is great for such a late pick for a 16 year old. I would like to take a long look at Snashall in camp as well. I dont imagine anyone else is in the plans for this year.

    2019- Attending Camp- Layton Feist (1st), Zane Rowan (3rd), Mathew Kieper (3rd) + 5 other Picks
    - Not attending- Sam Huch (2nd), Braxton Whitehead (3rd) Riley Applegate (7th),
    **Huch and Whitehead not attending to keep options open concerns me a bit. I feel like this is more of a trend in recent years across the league.

    Interesting Names
    -Cole Gordon interests me, I have no idea where he came from. His stats last year in the states have upside. Does anyone know anything more?
    -Fennig/Paulhus/Englot/Miller.....all guys with atleast a bit of Jr. A experience. 17 year olds that hopefully can push other guys at camp. If one or two of them break through to make it....bonus.
    -Liam Stevens- I actually have a friend that played Jr. A that has some experience with goalie development in Jr A hockey. He told me last year that he thought Liam was a guy that teams should find a way of listing. I didnt know he was with the Pats. When I saw he was coming to camp, my buddy says.....that might not be a move for this year, but he is high on Stevens.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pats7 View Post
    The few people that I have talked to are more disappointed with those not attending Pats camp than anything. As I have said before, I trust that Daniil Gushkin will end up with the team. Although.....not being on the list for camp is a first for Paddock. Ty Smilanic not attending camp is not a surprise at all, I thought he was a pipe dream for this year. So with people worried about those not attending, I decided to look more into the last 3 bantam drafts:

    2017- Attending Camp- Cole Dubinskiy, Sam McGinley, Jared Miller
    -Not attending Camp- Ty Smilanic (3rd) + 6 other Picks
    ** With only 3 guys attending camp and 7 guys not attending......this has to be a bust draft.

    2018- Attending Camp- Jake Snashall, Dylan Weigel, Colby Wotton, Marcus Taylor, Easton Armstrong, Colby Bear, Jake Johnson**
    -Not attending- 2 lower Picks
    **Most guys attending camp so that is a positive. I think Johnson will make the team which is great for such a late pick for a 16 year old. I would like to take a long look at Snashall in camp as well. I dont imagine anyone else is in the plans for this year.

    2019- Attending Camp- Layton Feist (1st), Zane Rowan (3rd), Mathew Kieper (3rd) + 5 other Picks
    - Not attending- Sam Huch (2nd), Braxton Whitehead (3rd) Riley Applegate (7th),
    **Huch and Whitehead not attending to keep options open concerns me a bit. I feel like this is more of a trend in recent years across the league.

    Interesting Names
    -Cole Gordon interests me, I have no idea where he came from. His stats last year in the states have upside. Does anyone know anything more?
    -Fennig/Paulhus/Englot/Miller.....all guys with atleast a bit of Jr. A experience. 17 year olds that hopefully can push other guys at camp. If one or two of them break through to make it....bonus.
    -Liam Stevens- I actually have a friend that played Jr. A that has some experience with goalie development in Jr A hockey. He told me last year that he thought Liam was a guy that teams should find a way of listing. I didnt know he was with the Pats. When I saw he was coming to camp, my buddy says.....that might not be a move for this year, but he is high on Stevens.

    Cole Gordon is the son of Rhett Gordon. Lots of gaps in the stats provided. Maybe some injury issues? Good size. And good blood lines.

    Iím interest to see Sloan Stanick. Small guy, but from what I hear a ton of skill. Interesting to note that they have also brought in his twin brother for camp.

  3. #3

    Default

    People should remember that this is still a transitional year. This is the real 1st rebuild year after the mem cup hangover; we have more youth now and some competant veterans. Playoffs are an actual goal, unlike at any point last year.

    The russian debacle looks like crap, not going to lie. Paddock had to do something, but this trade was a risk. I may have felt better if there was some conditional pick coming back, since being in this positon was always a possibility. He could still come but until then we look like morons for trading alkhimov for a dubious OA

    Smilanic not reporting isnt a surprise since, by virtue of being in the USHL, your draft stock skyrockets. The scouts still see that league as the flavor of the week. I anticipate this theme being a problem across the dub until we actually win at the mem cup level or have a notable presence on a winning world juniors team.

    Or, you know, adapt to the climate and change our pro contract rules.

    This camp is wide open. Im more interested in what younger guy from last year steps up. Ive always liked krane, kolle can have a full year on a single team(maybe) and nijhoff could break out after a so-so sophomore year. I alao wonder what theyll do with the goalies.

  4. #4

    Default

    I could not figure out how to start a new thread if someone would enlighten me TH OUTDOOR GAME The pats got this right with tixs at under $20.00 and the season tickets will be honored for the outdoor game. Its a re-match with Calgary and here's hoping for repeat results

  5. #5

    Default

    Anyone been out to camp? Who’s to watch? Who’s going to push the vets? Which vets are on the bubble? I can’t get to see until Sunday and the then Monday,s game

  6. #6

    Default

    Honestly, camp has been basically a snooze fest so far. I dont see surprises at the end of camp. I feel like the goaltending and defence at camp is a mile ahead of the forwards for both main camp and rookie camp. Usually I can pick out a player or two in rookie proceedings that are going to push their way onto the roster. On the forward side, nobody will do that. I expected Jake Johnson to make a push. He has been the second best dman in rookie group (Taylor has been better). Kieper has been good in the pipes. The rest of rookie camp is just so young, nothing to get too excited about.

    Vets....honestly nobody has stood out. Interesting to point out that the pros competing in scrimmage last night was a change (Hobbs, Stephenson, Leedahl, Ryan Murray, Williams to name a few). It raises the level of the drills and scrimmage which I like the idea of. It definitely makes it so that no present Pats stand out in comparison to some of those guys. First night, I was trying to figure out who the stud new dman with a beard was.......well of course Ryan Murray looks good with young Pats.

  7. #7

    Default Ho Hum Training Camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
    People should remember that this is still a transitional year. This is the real 1st rebuild year after the mem cup hangover; we have more youth now and some competant veterans. Playoffs are an actual goal, unlike at any point last year.

    The russian debacle looks like crap, not going to lie. Paddock had to do something, but this trade was a risk. I may have felt better if there was some conditional pick coming back, since being in this positon was always a possibility. He could still come but until then we look like morons for trading alkhimov for a dubious OA

    Smilanic not reporting isnt a surprise since, by virtue of being in the USHL, your draft stock skyrockets. The scouts still see that league as the flavor of the week. I anticipate this theme being a problem across the dub until we actually win at the mem cup level or have a notable presence on a winning world juniors team.

    Or, you know, adapt to the climate and change our pro contract rules.

    This camp is wide open. Im more interested in what younger guy from last year steps up. Ive always liked krane, kolle can have a full year on a single team(maybe) and nijhoff could break out after a so-so sophomore year. I alao wonder what theyll do with the goalies.

    I think you're bang on here SAJ about this being a debacle over this Guschin/Alkimhov thing. It looks like we have bunch of bafoons here. Losing Alkimhov is a big blow to the teams progression. When a kid picks the Muskegon Lumberjacks over the Regina Pats, that should say something. The Pats have an alarmingly poor record getting top talent signed (particularly USA) and to come here. Perunovich, Bohlsen, Smilanic, Panowyk(not even listed any more), Dylla, and then there was Jost, Savoie, and now our 2nd and 3rd round picks from this draft didn't show up. Apparently keeping their options open? The only guy I remember them convincing was Nick Henry. Lockner and Alkimhov have been traded. I sense a significant issue here. It's easier to sign most Canadian kids but anything else is iffy. Top round Bantam picks usually sign because they know they are likely going to have big opportunities. The mid to low round guys are just hoping for a shot. There are always stories in each case etc but in the end, those top guys aren't here. It's more than doubtful they ever will be. That's just a pipe dream thanks to new Canadian law. Management always says they are coming. It's a CYA thing!

    Yesterday there was absolutely nothing that jumped out at all. It was and is a very nondescript lineup devoid of any high end talent. No Bowen Byram's in the bunch that's for sure. If this is what they're picking from it doesn't bode well. Certainly no face of the franchise. The young goaltender Kieper looked solid and they may have something there. Everybody knows who will be on the team for the most part. Some of the young guys like Krane and Dubinsky should have decent years but there isn't enough high end talent to compete I suspect.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    I think you're bang on here SAJ about this being a debacle over this Guschin/Alkimhov thing. It looks like we have bunch of bafoons here. Losing Alkimhov is a big blow to the teams progression. When a kid picks the Muskegon Lumberjacks over the Regina Pats, that should say something. The Pats have an alarmingly poor record getting top talent signed (particularly USA) and to come here. Perunovich, Bohlsen, Smilanic, Panowyk(not even listed any more), Dylla, and then there was Jost, Savoie, and now our 2nd and 3rd round picks from this draft didn't show up. Apparently keeping their options open? The only guy I remember them convincing was Nick Henry. Lockner and Alkimhov have been traded. I sense a significant issue here. It's easier to sign most Canadian kids but anything else is iffy. Top round Bantam picks usually sign because they know they are likely going to have big opportunities. The mid to low round guys are just hoping for a shot. There are always stories in each case etc but in the end, those top guys aren't here. It's more than doubtful they ever will be. That's just a pipe dream thanks to new Canadian law. Management always says they are coming. It's a CYA thing!

    Yesterday there was absolutely nothing that jumped out at all. It was and is a very nondescript lineup devoid of any high end talent. No Bowen Byram's in the bunch that's for sure. If this is what they're picking from it doesn't bode well. Certainly no face of the franchise. The young goaltender Kieper looked solid and they may have something there. Everybody knows who will be on the team for the most part. Some of the young guys like Krane and Dubinsky should have decent years but there isn't enough high end talent to compete I suspect.
    If we look through the microscope, theres reason to be cynical, but big picture wise the team has done an overall great job under the new ownership and management.

    After the TWO attempted cup runs, last year went completely as we expected. We trade some holdovers for some value(and we did very very well) and get through the year. Now is the start of the rebuild, and we cant be complaining that we arent plucking henrys(which was wizardry btw) out of nowhere.

    These kids you talk about. Considering the circumstances we we cant be surprised some players arent reporting. And its not because of this team being dysfunctional. Players with other options like savoie and smilanic arent going to want to go to a city that gets colder than mars, to play with a bunch of no names, just to hang around for a massive rebuild.

    the CHL+WHLs stocks are in the toilet due to under performing at the mem cup levels for a few years(except our host team lol), and hockey canada, being the group of greedy incompetents they aee, have not produced results neither. considering our old hats dont seem to care theyve lost the inside track to the nhl draft to the USA via contract rules...

    Pre rebuild, Perinovich Janicke bohlsen etc were never really in the picture. Every team has long shot listers. Jost was absolutely set on college because he wanted to be exactly like Jonathan toews, down to his favorite cereal and that included the college route at all costs...i will admit paddock shouldve known that but we didnt lose any value since leedahl was an amazing pickup.

    But thats the past.

    If theres any high quality youngsters here today, they'll be overagers for when things matter again. We want a plucky character guy rather than a stuck up prick who wants to be a passenger on a cup contender. Snashall could be the right kind of guy perhaps. Dubinsky has the right attitude even if he seems a bit headstrong. Guys like that we can put on the 4th line who learn the ropes. We shouldnt expect any top sixers coming out of the rookie camp.

    Gushkin could still report but as a player with other options, he is weighing them. The fact he is still in the picture means something. You have a point about higher drafts opportunity, and that may be what ultimately brings him here

    Right now the only thing we want is the right combination of youth and veteran presense to get us those four first round playoff games. If we get that, this season was a success. But what matters perhaps more than that is making this top draft pick from the Lethbridge trade. We want swift to **** the bed as much as possible. This franchise will need their new sam steel and we get it from the swift first round pick in the jake+hank trade. Its better that pick becomes second overall and not 9th or 10th.

    Those are our goals. Even if we have 19 year old journeymans on our pp at times, we want playoffs and thats it. And swift to lose. Being in the central division now should help with that.

  9. #9

    Default

    Which by the way if youre feeling down, just remember lethbridge last year. They traded the farm for jake and hank, including what could be the next second overall pick, and they lost as early as they did. That one trade set them back almost as much as all our cup run trades did.

    And we benefitted from that. That trade alone may take a year or two off or rebuilding process.

  10. #10

    Default

    A few tidbits from the morning since I cant go back later today:
    a) Sam McGinley started camp with the vets. He was then moved to the group with the rookies. I really liked him last year in camp, he played a few games. I completely expected that he would make the team this year. In the rookie drills, he stood out over the much younger players. I still expect him to be around for a bit. Perhaps they just wanted him practicing instead of scrimmaging to work on something specific.
    b) Taylor continues to impress me. He wasnt on my radar at all before camp, but has looked good. He is smooth with the puck. The pairing with Walker today in camp was perfect for him.
    c) Sedov-- does anyone know where he is or what the deal is?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •