Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: 2021 Regular Season

Regina Pats re-hire entire hockey-operations staff
    from today's LP. The Bus is locked in reverse
    1938-39 Regina Pats scoring leader

I've been thinking and chewing on a lot of stuff in the past month I guess, so I'll hash over a few thoughts and opinions;

I see JP was not given an extension as either HC or GM. That's a good start but a year too late when it comes to the mechanics of rebuilding. Without getting into all the many specifics I am not at all happy with JP's body of work, leadership or vision when it come to the Pats. Even Stevie Wonder can see the Pats are now floundering under his tutelage but he "can't be blamed" for that whatsoever at this point. Ownership is evidently happy with his work so they didn't make a move "OR" they are wired into a big contract number and didn't want to pay it out. I believe they are still paying out the remainder of Struch's contract this year as well. Perhaps they didn't want to pay out both contracts in one year. I would shudder to think even as ineffective and inexperienced as they appear, ownership can't see the need to a new direction and this year would have been the right time to do something. Give a new GM a chance to straighten out this mess. It only strengthens my belief that it's money at the root of this. If it's sheer incompetence in running a CHL team, we're in real deep excrement. The extension of the assistant coaches really won't be a problem for a new GM. These guys are not too highly paid and buyouts won't be too expensive. The other three signings would have happened anyway.

Currently our 19's are Stringer, Linklater, Armstrong, McNutt, Berge, Sim, and Svozil..?. That is a group that hardly raises an eyebrow in hockey circles. Stringer has yet to prove he can be a 1st round talent in this league and Svozil may or may not want to return here. The rest are meh..Our best players are young and the Pats are seemingly going to add a bunch of young guys like Barnett, the Vaughan twins, DeWitt, Hermann, Zacharias, and perhaps others. Adding those young players to a team whose best players are 16-18 years does not bode well. In order to get decent 19's we would have to give up talented young players. That's a counter-productive thing to do now, and how we got into this mess in the first place. Plus it takes spots away from the young guys they are keen to develop. It's hard to imagine in ones most optimistic daydreams, a scenario that would make this years team a playoff contender.

Edmonton did shockingly poorly at the Memorial Cup. I didn't think Cossa was worthy of all the hype surrounding him. He let in at least one 'softie" per game and was big contributor to their ouster. This leads me to next years Memorial Cup in Kamloops. With the WHL having an extremely poor record in the last 10-15 years there will be a big push to have a top calibre team in the 2023 Memorial Cup and one capable of winning it. A player like Bedard would go a very long way towards accomplishing that. I know what the Pats are saying but I have to believe for the right sack of riches, he would be available. Outside of the marketing aspect Bedard has brought, his three years here will have brought us nothing much hockey wise. He could (and most believe he should) be traded for a bunch of assets that could turn this franchise around. Kamloops as the host will want to win it all, and having someone like Bedard would go a long way to that end. Among the list of assets available, they hold our 1st round Bantam pick next year. Depending where we finish this season that could be as high as the #1 pick overall. Common sense dictates that we should move him in light of the team we have, however common sense has often been in short supply around here. Failing to parlay him into a bunch of high end assets would be nothing short of gross negligence. A generational player needs to draw a like return.

It's too bad that we haven't had any news regarding Wood joining this team. We all know Huck is a lost cause. It's really tough to lose two 2nd rounders two years in a row. I tend to think the Wood ship has sailed. He will be taken next year in the NHL 1st round regardless of where he plays. Perhaps the only way to secure some big assets for him would be to see if he has any interest playing for the Victoria Royals. If so perhaps a trade could be worked out for significant assets.

I see the cross-conference play has resumed. The USA is coming here and the we evidently will be heading out to BC. I'm glad to see this because the diet of similar teams all the time got pretty boring.

The Import draft should be coming along soon. This is a good way to strengthen your team if you get a good one AND if you're able to recruit him and get him here.

It won't be long until training camp and four exhibition games. It does go fast.
    Last edited by chopper; 06-26-2022 at 09:58 AM.

The Import draft should be coming along soon. This is a good way to strengthen your team if you get a good one AND if you're able to recruit him and get him here.
    Import draft is Friday July 1, 2022 - No Russian or Belarussians will be allowed to be drafted this year. This means we will have a smaller pool of players to pick from - but given the Pats tendency to fail to do any background checks - our picks will be wasted upon players who won't report this fall. Regina has 25th and 85th picks.
    Last edited by dsquared; 06-26-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Default 2022 Import Draft Picks

Today your Pats selected in the CHL 2022 Import Draft:

1) Luca Auer with their first round pick. Luca hails from Austria, is a LW and is 18 years old. He is eligible for this year's NHL draft. Last season he had 8 G 16 A in 26 games. He played on Austria's U18 World Junior team. I can't find anything about him coming to the CHL next season.

2) Michael Hrabal with their second round pick. He is 17 years old and a goalie. Last season he had a 2.14 GAA in 24 Games. However the Pats took out their firearm and pointed it at their foot once again and discharged it - their feet look like Swiss cheese! - Michael is committed to the U Mass in the NCAA for 25/26.

When will these idiots learn to stop picking players that have no intention of reporting here?
    Last edited by dsquared; 07-01-2022 at 11:29 AM.

I really don't know what to think.............
    I suspect management will say they have talked to their scouts and the agents, but have to wait and see...
    Even with Bedard, they to date haven't been able got Wood here...none of the top Imports or Americans have ever played a minute for the Pats, at least voluntarily.
    It does seem that this is some of the same scenario playing out that we've all seen before. It's now SOP for the Pats. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent!!
    Perhaps one day we will be surprised and somebody good will actually show up. I may not live long enough to see it, but it could happen I guess...

Putting on my fortune teller gear. I see Conner Bedard wearing a Blazer Jersey next January.....

Quote Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
    Putting on my fortune teller gear. I see Conner Bedard wearing a Blazer Jersey next January.....
    I never thought Id say this, in this cesspool of negativity we post in, but this might be overly optimistic in a hockey operations context.

Its more complicated than it seems, and not so cut-and-dry. I mean I hope you are right because Id love to see the type of wacky trade package come back that you would see at deadline's eve in the OHL and the Q; where a team trades seven 2nd rounds, twenty 3rd round picks and a bunch of prospects back for 1/2 a year of Brad Marchand...but most indications early on seem to be the brass wants to keep Bedard for the whole year. The motivation, aside from being greedy and selling more tickets in the short term, is to maintain exclusive branding attached to a player who is a probable perennial NHL All-Star. If he ends up being Mcdavid tier, or even just Stamkos tier, he will only be known as a "former Regina Pat" along with his NHL teams. Theyll exclusively cash in from the clout from his success(not just merchandising), and it will add the air of prestige and perhaps aid in recruiting in the long term. How much clout did Edmonton/LA and even STL/NYR get from being the only teams to have Wayne Gretzky? It makes marketing sense, even if it completely wastes Bedard's unparalleled trade value and our franchise building. I honestly cant completely guarantee more pragmatic franchises would not do the same in the exact same position, and the writer Alan Caldwell seems sympathetic to Regina keeping Bedard, too. I also think this decision probably goes over Paddock's head: ownership will have the final say, and what happens may be telling for their future plans with this team. This could be the best player to ever come in through the entire franchise's history, and there are implications beyond trade value to be considered.

I would personally prefer seeing him traded right now at this very moment. I want to see a formidable team for once, and I think this team has already built up enough credibility being the oldest team in junior hockey, sending the most players to world juniors out of anybody, hosting the centennial memorial cup, etc, but I suspect non-hockey franchise-building thinking, business decisions and yes, greed will reign over them at the end of the day.