Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2007

Default 2007

In 2007, the Allan Cup has been confirmed in Alberta, also the Telus Cup (national midget AAA) is in Alberta, city to be announced (Red Deer is Bidding) and the memorial cup is in the west.

Who do think will be the successful bidder? as the memorial cup host.

There's talk that Red Deer will bid

All that said, the month of April 2007 could be a very exspensive month for a diehard hockey fan who lives in the area.
    Drop the Puck

Long time hockey fan, new WHL fan ..... why is it that not every team in the WHL Bids for the Memorial cup when it's our leagues turn to host it?

I'd think that there's not a team/city out there that wouldn't want it. But I read somewhere that so far only one QMJHL team has bid for next year's event. Is there an entry fee or something ?
    Real Time WHL Score Updates ... Delivered to your Cell Phone, Pager or eMail

Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander
    Long time hockey fan, new WHL fan ..... why is it that not every team in the WHL Bids for the Memorial cup when it's our leagues turn to host it?

I'd think that there's not a team/city out there that wouldn't want it. But I read somewhere that so far only one QMJHL team has bid for next year's event. Is there an entry fee or something ?
    Rink size, (seating capacity)
    Grump

Default Mem Cup for 2007

I've heard Saskatoon will be bidding to be the host.

Doing a process of elimination among teams in the Eastern Conference...

Brandon - capacity too small.
    Regina - held it last time Mem Cup was in the Eastern Conference, so out.
    Prince Albert - capacity too small.
    Moose Jaw - capacity too small.
    Saskatoon - I'd be surprised if the city/team didn't put in a bid.

Calgary - could bid especially if the NHL mess is still unresolved.
    Lethbridge - capacity too small.
    Medicine Hat - capacity too small.
    Swift Current - capacity too small.
    Red Deer - successful track record of hosting events.

It could be a competition between Red Deer and Saskatoon for the 2007 Memorial Cup.

Rebel66 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wango tango

It could be a competition between Red Deer and Saskatoon for the 2007 Memorial Cup.
    I would totally expect that the Hitmen would bid for the event and they would be given serious consideration given the capacity of their building. I'm sure the league would see dollar signs in their eyes in this case.

I would agree------would be very suprised if Calgary did not bid and if they do would be very, very suprised if they didn't get it
    Grump

Default WHL cities bidding for Mem Cup

Anyone else disappointed Mem Cup or World Juniors, etc are simply becoming about seating capacity and guaranteed bucks? There are a lot of wonderful hockey towns in the WHL who will no longer even get a sniff simply because of capacity.

I'd love to see a group of towns like Swift Current, Medicine Hat, and Lethbridge put in a joint bid for the World Juniors, pipe dream I know because everything seems to be going the way of the almight dollar and it has the potential to be a logistics nightmare. A consortium of teams wouldn't work for the Memorial Cup because there are not enough teams and games.

If the consensus is it's all about capacity and bucks then definately Calgary would be the from runner for a 2007 Memorial Cup with Saskatoon 2nd? Could Brent Sutter work a little political magic and lure the tourney to Red Deer over the other two larger centres?

Yea it really stinks that us small maket teams are completly out of it, but thems the breaks I guess.

If any consotium would work in the west the one you suggest would be it, but it would still leave the powers to be with not having a rink big enough to hold the final.

It really does boil down to dollars

I don't really think Sutter wants the MC torny for the reasons listed earlier, (he's a funny guy with a pretty hard set of moral bulding ideas). The worlds would be different but our next shot at it is a ways down the road.
    Grump

Quote Originally Posted by wango tango
    I've heard Saskatoon will be bidding to be the host.

Doing a process of elimination among teams in the Eastern Conference...

Brandon - capacity too small.
    Regina - held it last time Mem Cup was in the Eastern Conference, so out.
    Prince Albert - capacity too small.
    Moose Jaw - capacity too small.
    Saskatoon - I'd be surprised if the city/team didn't put in a bid.

Lethbridge - capacity too small.
    Medicine Hat - capacity too small.
    Swift Current - capacity too small.
    Red Deer - successful track record of hosting events.

I'm really confused why you have capacity too small put down for so many teams but they aren't too much smaller than Red Deer.

I'm going to use Lethbridge for an example. I've found a few different numbers for capacity but what is Red Deer's rink hold 5858? (that's one number I found but they are all similar). Lethbridge holds around 5479. That's not too much of a difference. Where is the line that makes Red Deer big enough and the rest too small?

I'm pretty sure that Lethbridge will make a bid for the Memorial Cup. They put in a bid last time and people around here were pretty confident that they were going to get it. There were rumblings that one reason the 'Canes didn't or wouldn't get the Memorial Cup is because Bryan Maxwell was in charge and was not liked by the committee. Whether that is true or not I don't know. I'm also pretty sure that last time they made a bid Enmax said that they would install a big video screen as well as extra seating (at the end with the curtain) if Lethbridge got it. Also whether that was completley legit or not is debatable. All in all I think they could put together a good bid to go compete with Red Deer, Calgary and Saskatoon.

Question

Rink size should not be in the equation.

Remember, both Calgary and Vancouver where bidding to host the Memorial Cup that eventually went to Kelowna.

The team, and how strong it is (looks to be) is also a consideration.

Which then begs the question, should the host city's team be automatically in the tournament?

The NFL and the CFL don't do that, but they do have host cities for the championship game.