Thread: Silvertips better than last year?

Default Silvertips better than last year?

What do you think?
    LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME…
    Last season at this time the Silvertips were 17-16-7-1 after 41 games compared to 20-13-6-2 this season. Last season after 41 games the Silvertips scored 81 goals compared to 97 goals scored this season. After 41 games last season Everett gave up 93 goals compared to 82 goals allowed this season.

So what do you all think? Are the Silvertips BETTER than last year despite having a team full of 16-year-olds? Be sure to give your reasons.

No. Next year, they will be, but not right now.

This team, while it's putting up better numbers, has yet to prove a few things:

Can it bounce back from a loss ? (Not Consistantly)
    Can it put together more than 2 wins a row (No)
    Can it sustain effort for more than 3 games in a row (No)
    Can it (please) not play down to the level of the crappy teams (No)

These are more philisophical things than hockey things, but come playoff time, their grit, drive, and brains are going to be tested pretty hard. Last years team was more mature, less panicky, and more "ready' to make a run than this years team is.

Assuming we have most of the same crew back, and trade for one or 2 studly OAs, and a goalie to back up Leland, we'll be serious contenders.

For this year, I'm content to watch these guys grow together on the ice, and build up some momentum for next season.

Prediction:
    1st Round Playoff WIN against either Portland or Tri
    This will go 7 games, because this team has yet to prove that it can step up and put away lesser competition. What should be a sweep will go the distance.

2nd Round Playoff win against Seattle. We'll likely be the lowest seed, and will catch the T-Birds in Round 2. Based on the rivalry, and how this team DOES step up to the better teams, we take them in 5 or 6

3rd Round: Emotionally spent, we get swept out, maybe winning one at home.

All in all, though, this is a rebuilding year, with potential, but it's still too young a team to contend seriously, like last years bunch did.

Default agree----almost

I agree with most of waht you say...this IS a young team, they don't react well to adversity & they definately play down to the opposing teams level. I see them as the 2nd seed in the U.S. division. I think they beat Spokane or Tri-Cities, but I don't think they can get by Seattle if they wind up playing them in Rd 2. Yes they get up for big games, but Seattles Physical presence will wear those kids down over a long series.

I hope you're wrong ...

I've seen the Tips play Seattle 5 times (including pre-season), and one other T-Birds game. While the birds do win a lot of games, they really aren't "all that". I worry more about getting smoked in the first round than I do about Seattle.

thetipster Guest

Lightbulb My opinion on seattle

is that they are a team comprised of only goons. The fans too! My friend was punched in the face by some lady who had spit in her face previous to the punch! I am afraid to go to Key Arena.. i am afraid i will get attacked!! I understand the concept of being a good fan and supporting your team but for a 40yr old woman to spit on and punch a 17 yr. old girl in the face is going overboard!

Ah good old Seattle... I still remember my last visit there way way back. We had about five or six police officers surrounding our group the entire time to keep the "fans" from tearing us apart! I loved it. Tacoma was fun too. That game the Blades completed a late game come-back from a fairly big deficit (can't remember exactly how many) and I got a little boisterous which resulted in a shower of popcorn, beer, coke, you name it. I loved that too. But it (usually) takes quite a bit to really get under my skin.

C.F Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thetipster
    is that they are a team comprised of only goons. The fans too! My friend was punched in the face by some lady who had spit in her face previous to the punch! I am afraid to go to Key Arena.. i am afraid i will get attacked!! I understand the concept of being a good fan and supporting your team but for a 40yr old woman to spit on and punch a 17 yr. old girl in the face is going overboard!
    That's the second team today you've called a bunch of goons. I can see your point with the Giants as they do take a lot of penalties, but the Birds take the 3rd least ammount of penalty's in the league.
    Last edited by C.F; 01-15-2005 at 03:11 PM.

thetipster Guest

Default ok... i was not thinking

Yes seattle has it moments... yes i am not the happiest person b/c they are 13 pts ahead of Everett... but i was mainly talking about the fans CF!! Try reading

C.F Guest

As for fans, I sat by a few very arrogant Tips fans. Cheering is one thing, but when the Tips tied it up she was pointing her sign into everyones face(which had a claw scratching a giant) and yelling at all of us in our section. It was nice to see that the fans treated her with respect, although it wasn't deserved, it just shows the class Vancouver fans have We got the last laugh when the PC exploded after Brule put in the empty netter. I just had to laugh when I looked over and looked like she was going to cry. I'm not lumping her with all the Tips fans, I'm just saying that maybe you're generalizing a bit, because all fan bases have their rotten apples. I had no problems when I went to Seattle.

is that they are a team comprised of only goons
    Don't tell me to try reading.

C.F Guest

Anyway, I'm off to Everett to support my G-men. No hard feelings. I have a good friend who's a die-hard Tips fan, and we have the same argument quite a lot. He says Giants are goons, I say Tips are boring. It's all in good fun. In the end we're all supporters of the same great league.

Good luck, it looks like you guys may need it.