Thread: Leslie Excited To Join Rebels

Default Leslie Excited To Join Rebels

Source: http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/porta...id=357962&more=

Leslie Excited To Join Rebels

By DANNY RODE
    Advocate staff

Andrew Leslie knew there would be a change in the Swift Current Broncos goaltending situation some time down the road.
    But when he was told Monday he had been traded to the Red Deer Rebels for goaltender Trevor Peeters and a third-round selection in this year's bantam draft, it still came as a shock.
    "Definitely, as I was settled into Swift for a couple of years now . . . I didn't expect this to come this year," said the well-spoken 18-year-old as he faced the media at the Centrium on Tuesday.
    "But I did know that with Kyle (Moir) and myself both playing well, and being the same age, something was going to happen. Come next year, one of us wouldn't be around. Dean (Broncos GM/head coach Dean Chynoweth) felt this was a good time to make the move."
    So did Leslie. "I'm certainly excited about the opportunity here," he said.
    Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter indicated Leslie will have every opportunity to prove he's a starting goaltender this season and will most likely go into next year as the No. 1 man.
    "I've been working hard and hoping I would get a chance somewhere to play as a starter," said Leslie. "I think it's a good situation here. Gerry (Festa) is 20 now and I believe we'll work well together this season. Next year will be a big opportunity for me."
    The Rebels' coaching staff wouldn't say when Leslie will see his first action with the Western Hockey League squad, although it's expected he'll start in one of the two home games this weekend.
    They host the Saskatoon Blades on Friday at 7:30 p.m. and the Kamloops Blazers on Sunday at 6 p.m.
    Leslie comes to the Rebels with solid stats - a 2.89 goals against average and .913 save percentage - despite playing for a last-place team.
    "We had a tough time as it's a rebuilding year," added Leslie. "It's exciting coming here. The playoffs are the time when the best come to play and hopefully I'll get a chance to show my stuff."
    Leslie won't have to change his style, but will have to be mentally sharper with the Rebels than in Swift Current.
    "It will be more of a mental game here," he agreed. "In Swift you're always in the action with a lot of shots. It's like Brent told me, it'll be more of a challenge here as I'll be facing 15 to 20 shots on some nights and I have to step up and make the save when the opportunity arises."
    Sutter told the Saskatoon native one other thing - something that doesn't surprise anyone in Red Deer.
    "He said it's a team that works hard with lots of expectations on winning. It's important for me to work hard and if I do that we'll see what happens."
    Leslie played his minor hockey in Saskatoon before moving to Swift Current prior to the 2003-04 season. He joined the Swift Current midget AAA Legionnaires, which he said was perfect in his development.
    "I got a chance to play a lot and also practice with the Broncos," he said. "The midget league was a good development league for the WHL."
    Leslie will wear No. 33 with the Rebels after his childhood hero Patrick Roy.
    While Roy was his favourite goaltender, he doesn't only pattern himself after the former Montreal Canadien and Colorado Avalanche star.
    "I take little things from every goalie I watch," he said. "I see what they may do different, and better, than I do and try to incorporate that into my game. But I guess most goalies are butterfly goalies these days and I like to think I play that way as well."
    l Former Rebel Blair Jones, who was traded to Moose Jaw along with Andre Herman for Ashton Rome and Karey Pieper, will compete in the Canadian Hockey League's prospects game on Jan. 19 in Vancouver. He'll be on Team White, coached by John Davidson. . . Ashton and Pieper missed practice Tuesday as they returned to Moose Jaw to get their belongings. . . Dion Phaneuf, Colin Fraser, Roman Wick and Mikko Kuukka will be away until Thursday to recuperate from the hectic world junior championship schedule.

Rebel66 Guest

Default Have high hopes for Leslie

I like this trade for a number of reasons. Peeters was not going to make it in Red Deer. The coaching staff appeared to have little confidence in starting him and this, obviously, made his development suffer. It really was a catch 22 situation. Hopefully the trade allows Trevor to get more playing time and prove, one way or the other, whether he can play in the dub.

Leslie looks promising. There's little doubt he would struggle for playing time in Swift given that Moir had firmly established himself as the No.1. His stats are pretty good on a rebuilding club though and it does bode well for the future. I'm hoping that Leslie and James Reimer, next year, can provide the Rebels with an excellent tandem in the years to come.

D.A. Guest

Default I agree

I also like this trade. The prospect of having Peeters and Reimer as our two main guys next year wasn't good. I'm also hoping that having Leslie here will maybe push Festa to being better than he has been (at times).

Leslie put up pretty good numbers with Swift this year - how much better can he do with a stronger team in front of him?

Default Hopefuly...

with the change made, goaltending for the next few years will be at the level we have been used to, that is, Ward, Bendera etc. Also, the team had NO confidence in Peeters, so I hope they realize that they have the goaltending and learn to play better in front of them.

This was a good trade and Peeters jsut had to go. I had already been talking to people whom I work, who are Rebels fans and they all said that Peeters had to go and he wasnt fitting.

If Leslie does well I won't be surprised at All that he gets the starting job come playoff time. You watch.
    FWHL: http://fwhlhockey.proboards.com/index.cgi?

WHL fantasy league! Looking for members!

follow me on twitter: @PADJJeff