Pats Win In Shootout

For the second time in six nights the Regina Pats defeated the Prince Albert Raiders in a shoot-out, this time by a score of 3 - 2.

Unlike last weekend, Regina dominated the play at Brandt Centre out-shooting Peter Anholt's squad 32 - 16, and holding the Raiders to only two shots in the second period.

David Reekie wasn't busy, but when he was tested, the veteran netminder came up with several key saves to keep the game tied.

Reekie sealed the Raiders fate in the shootout, stopping Aki Seitsonen, Mike Hellyer & Kyle Chipchura. Petr Kalus's shootout goal was the only one required by the Pats who improved their record to 8-4-0-0 and moved them back into first place in the WHL's East Division, putting them two points ahead of idle Moose Jaw.

It looked as though the Pats were going to pull the game out in regulation, when Russian sniper Denis Tolpeko was awarded a penalty-shot with 24.8 seconds remaining in the third period by referee Nathan Wieler. The twenty-year-old Moscow product beat Alex Archibald, but couldn't get his shot past the post.

Both netminders made two saves in the five minute overtime frame. Archibald was named the games second star, making thirty-saves and also stopping Tolpeko in the overtime shootout.

Justin Bernhardt & Denis Tolpeko had the regulation goals for the Pats who improved their Brandt Centre record to 7-1-0-0 on the season.

Brad Erickson & Mike Gauthier had the Raider goals.

Tolpeko was named the first star, for the second straight game.

The Pats return to action on Saturday when they host the Kootenay Ice in a 7:00PM start at Brandt Centre.
What a nice game to see. The officiating was brutal (as usual). Wheeler was quite one sided, calling lots against PA that could have been let slide, while later in the game, put his whistle away completly, and missed some blatent calls on both sides. But aside from his imput, it was a great game. The shot clock was outragous, the Pats were keeping on the pressure pretty good. I know I have a bit more respect for Archibald after this game. Tolpeko's penalty shot was nice to watch, too bad it hit the post. Reekie was strong throughout the game, when he was tested. The first PA goal never should have happened. The Pats had no one in front of the net. It was quite easy for the PA players to pass it and put it in the net. To give the Pats credit tho, they did learn from their mistake, and didnt give PA much room to work around the net for the rest of the game. I was quite disapointed in Chipchura. For a player that is your captain, and has quite a hype surrounding him, I didnt really notice him on the ice, beyond a few weaker hits. PA did a good job in shutting down Klaus&co. Overall, it was an evenly played game, the difference being the shootout (which Im not really a fan of, other than to maybe be a exhibition thing to get teams ready for the playoffs perhaps. I just dont mind a well played tie.) Oh well. Despite Wheeler, the teams played a good game, and the Pats came out with a win. PA played stronger in the OT, but the Pats came out on top.