Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WHL Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by rebel39
    great info, but 1 thing that would be nice and i didnt see it, is everyone's full seating capacity.

In Red Deer (WHL) we are sold out every game, so when you show + - does it reflect rink capacities?
    Capacity can be subjective too. On various websites, programs, or depending which team is using the Saddledome, it's capacity can be any of:

~16,100 (Hitmen capacity, third level completely closed), 17,139 or 17,439 (Flames "official" capacity, depending on who you ask), 19,289 (maximum seating capacity), 20,000 (for those that havent updated since 1994), and anything in between.

The two most interesting aspects of the WHL's attendance figures, for me:

1. Calgary and Vancouver are both averaging well over what they did in 2003-04. 04-05 is statistically worthless given they were the only two teams directly affected by the lockout. However, both franchises made significant, lasting gains as a result of their brief time in the sun.

For the Flames ownership, they must be doing a dance of joy, as the Flames are up nearly 3500 fans per game over this time in 03-04, while the Hitmen are up over 900 from this time in 03-04. That's a lot of extra pesos.

2. Despite the fact that the Hitmen and Giants are down 2500 fans per game combined, and the Blades have dropped another 1250 per themselves, the league itself is still virtually even with last season's attendance. Huge gains in Portland, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw and Tri-City are helping the league maintian it's average.
    Last edited by RunTheGoalie; 12-27-2005 at 02:31 PM.

I guess for anyone who wants to know what the arena capacities are, this is what the Kootenay Ice's program lists everyone at:

Brandon: 5008
    Calgary: 17,139 (excludes 300 level after row 3)
    Everett: 8250
    Kamloops: 5158
    Kelowna: 6007
    Kootenay: 4264
    Lethbridge: 4784
    Medicine Hat: 4006
    Moose Jaw: 2705
    Portland 17,544 (Rose Garden)
    Prince Albert: 2580
    Prince George: 5582
    Red Deer: 5735
    Regina: 5750
    Saskatoon: 11,310
    Seattle: 6324
    Spokane: 10,571
    Swift Current: 2256
    Tri-City: 5780
    Vancouver: 7500 (presuming lower bowl only)

C.F Guest

The Giants real capacity is just over 16,000. If lots of tickets are being sold, they just bring the curtains up.

What are the capacity requirements for hosting events such as allstar games,Canada/Russian challange,Prospects game,Memorial Cup?

The Canada/Russia Challenge doesnt seem to have any minimum. It's been held in Lethbridge and Red Deer, all the way up to Saskatoon and Calgary.

Lately they have put the Memorial Cup and Prospects game in larger arenas.

In the case of the Canada/Russia Challenge and Prospects game, they are as much TV events as anything else, so basically, any arena that cannot accomodate a decent TV feed is likely out.

Quote Originally Posted by C.F
    The Giants real capacity is just over 16,000. If lots of tickets are being sold, they just bring the curtains up.
    it should be but they aren't raising the curtains at one end, I guess the advertising there pays more.

The last two games at the Coliseum were both looking packed and they maxed out at 13,800... I think with those seats draped off the capacity is around 14K. During the reguar season the lower bowl (with about eight of second level rows) seemed to max out at around 8 or 9 K.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Very interesting site that I just added to my Hockey Favorites. Surprised me to see how many Spokane's arena can hold. Congrats to MJ for their ownership etc - making it to the Western Final with such a small ticket base. As I said in another post I vote for 1 cent less on our gas tax to pay for an 8000 seat arena for you guys in MJ ----so at least you can see what your wife's boyfriend looks like being that you have seats on the opposite side. lol

Default The CC View

Quote Originally Posted by Swando
    Very interesting site that I just added to my Hockey Favorites. Surprised me to see how many Spokane's arena can hold. Congrats to MJ for their ownership etc - making it to the Western Final with such a small ticket base. As I said in another post I vote for 1 cent less on our gas tax to pay for an 8000 seat arena for you guys in MJ ----so at least you can see what your wife's boyfriend looks like being that you have seats on the opposite side. lol
    LOL You heard that too, I thought it was kinda funny despite who it was coming from hehehe. I really hope MJ gets the Multiplex going soon.... Can't wait to see the banners up!! Where the heck are the gonna put them in the CC????

Quote Originally Posted by SeventhHeaven4U
    LOL You heard that too, I thought it was kinda funny despite who it was coming from hehehe. I really hope MJ gets the Multiplex going soon.... Can't wait to see the banners up!! Where the heck are the gonna put them in the CC????
    Against the wall maybe?Thats where Brandon has all theirs put up.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian eh
    Against the wall maybe?Thats where Brandon has all theirs put up.
    Brandons banners have been moved and for quite some time now, they all hang below the catwalk to the press box.

btw the wheats have 16 banners
    "You can't always win, but you can always feel like you deserve to"