Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1 Min Radio Timeouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    The Americans had their sponsors go to 15 second spots to address this problem and it has worked just fine.
    Now thats a good idea - Nice to see someone thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by wildeyes
    i dont mind it Sponsors pay the bills so you have to do anything to help them out
    So do my season tickets.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

rinkrat Guest

This new rule is called a "referee timeout".It was obviously not thought out by the league.It sounds like a knee jerk reaction for the league to continue recieving the revenue stream from the broadcast "partners".Clearly they,and probably the NHL didn't forsee 2 1/4 hour games.I believe Giants vs Calgary was 2:12.
    Several times the timeout has occured with one team on the PP,it gives the PK time to rest and regroup,while momentum is lost and the flow to the game which the leagues are preaching is lost!.
    Essentially the WHL brass are chasing their tails.

Default Two words: its retarded!

Is everyone's intermissions cut down to anywhere from 15 to 18 minutes?

Ours was cut a year or more ago and now they want to add more time for advertising. This to me does not make sense, Just make the intermissions 20 minutes long again and solve the whole stupid problem.

What really bugs me, at the Rec-Plex anyways, is when you have a 17 minute intermission on the board and your walking around at the other end or where ever, talking to people and there's 2 minutes left in the break. So you start heading to your seat, then it always seems the players come on right then and the last minute and a half is just gone and play starts.

Meanwhile I have to stand at the top of my section untill a whistle goes and we are allowed to go down. If their was the last two minutes left in the break people could rely on timing it and there is also 2 more minutes for advertising.

So now our intermisions are minus a minute or two almost every night to around 15 minutes. First they want the game faster and now its too fast so they want to slow it down. Retarded.

Now around the league there's a problem so they add in a commercial break and without even being on TV!!

This can be a momentum killer that is not nessesary in Junior hockey.
    This is not the NHL and should be fixed in another way.

Just my unimpressed opinion.
    Cranbrook's own, Kootenay ICE 1998 to 2012, 2011 WHL CHAMPIONS!!!
    THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP'S!!

well said Fightstrap50! I was wondering if it was just a PG thing the one minute break but i guess it is just something they slipped in.

i can only imagine if i was still going outside during intermission that there would be no time to get outside and back to my seat in time. 20 minutes was not long enough somedays
    GO ICE GO !!!

Tonight in Cranbrook we were on a PP when it hit the 10 min mark of the third period, there was three whistles that they could have called during the penalty but they never called it until it over. I wonder if they adjusted this a bit for situations like this and keep the momentum going.

Quote Originally Posted by fightstrap50
    Is everyone's intermissions cut down to anywhere from 15 to 18 minutes?

Ours was cut a year or more ago and now they want to add more time for advertising. This to me does not make sense, Just make the intermissions 20 minutes long again and solve the whole stupid problem.
    That does not solve the problem, as many fans are out on the concourse, or outside smoking and do not hear those ads. Sponsors pay for the announcements during play because that is when the most people will be listening.

Lets face it, several teams rely on PA announcements to generate money. Several radio stations rely on commericals to generate money, which makes it worthwhile to pay these teams for rights to broadcast games.

This is a necessary revenue stream that the WHL has to protect.

Better one 1 minute timeout per period than the two 90 second tv timeouts you see in the NHL.