Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Split] Too Many Goaltenders??

Default [Split] Too Many Goaltenders??

According to Joey Kenward on Mojo radio, Tyson is back from his hip injury as of today. No idea if he will make the lineup tonight, somehow I doubt it.

This marks the 1st time that Vancouver has had an entirely healthy lineup since the start of the season.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

*knocking on wood*
    Tyson will still be a few games away...He will need to get back in game shape, etc. Then, once he is good to go...will they hold on to Tommy and send him back down to Jr. B? I smell a epic goaltender contorversy coming...

rinkrat Guest

Would you guys trade a goalie to add another player for next years cup run?Tommy would likely get the best deal,but I'd hate to lose him!

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    Would you guys trade a goalie to add another player for next years cup run?Tommy would likely get the best deal,but I'd hate to lose him!
    It's an intersting dilema. A lot of teams have suppossedly expressed interest in Vancouver's goalies.

Do you keep all 3 in case one gets hurt? How close is Sexsmith to start playing, 2 weeks, 3 weeks?

I'm not sure what to think right now about it but I do know this, one of the guys will not be happy about not being in the lineup. Extremely hard to carry 3 good goalies.

I could see moving a Goalie for a Forward with some offensive upside for this year and next.

Let the Epic debate begin.

I talked to Tyson Sexsmith last night. He has been practicing pain free for about 2 weeks at home. He figures he should be ready to play in no more than two weeks. How long will the Giants carry three goalies? I think only for a short time. There has been lots of interest in Tommy. Which teams need goaltending the most?

rinkrat Guest

I don't think there is any hurry to move a goalie.They have to be carefull as far as insurance.How about Sexsmith plays in Delta for 5 games?

from, The Province

THREE FOR THE ROAD

Now that Tyson Sexsmith (pelvis) is healthy again, look for the Giants to take three goaltenders on their five-game Prairie road trip that starts next week.

Don't expect them to run with a trio for an extended period, though. Hay said even yesterday that the scenario doesn't work for long.

Sexsmith, 16, was the Giants' first-round WHL bantam draft pick two years ago, so he's the best bet to stick as the backup to Dustin Slade, 19.

That leaves Tommy Tartaglione, 17, a non-drafted list player with Vancouver, as the odd man out.

The California native had a sparkling training camp, and Bonner admitted that several teams called with trade offers. With Sexsmith sidelined, Bonner wasn't about to move him then.

Tartaglione could bring some much-needed scoring help up front in a deal.

"I've been working hard and that's what I've been told my whole life --- work hard and things will work out," said Tartaglione.

I know its a long shot but what about Trading Slade and letting the 2 young guys split the duties for this year? Then we would have 2 goalies with experience with High upside, and we would be down to only 4 19 year olds on this current roster instead of 5.

Somehow I doubt that Slade would be traded, but I can't help thinking that maybe Tyson and Tommy are a better way to go long term, considering they could be here for 3 seasons each.

rinkrat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beaner
    I know its a long shot but what about Trading Slade and letting the 2 young guys split the duties for this year? Then we would have 2 goalies with experience with High upside, and we would be down to only 4 19 year olds on this current roster instead of 5.

Somehow I doubt that Slade would be traded, but I can't help thinking that maybe Tyson and Tommy are a better way to go long term, considering they could be here for 3 seasons each.
    Thats a tough call,I understand what you are saying,but a 20 year old Slade could be really good!I really hate to give up on Tommy though,he is gonna be great,if not already.Haven't seen Sexsmith play but have heard that he is the 2nd coming of Pat Roy! Can't we juggle three goalies? Their bound to get an injury,or drop one goalie to junior A???

The smart call is to trade Tyson, his injury could be a career ender. I know he is getting his health back but one small ding could be it. I know he is a great goalie but to trade a young healthy proven goalie such as Tommy and keep a young goalie with a great chance of being re-injured doesn't make sense.