Thread: Are Bronco Fans Spoiled by Past Success?

Question Are Bronco Fans Spoiled by Past Success?

After hearing fans boo their own players in game against Giants, one has to wonder if they are spoiled by past success. Patience please. Chynoweth's team only 16 and 17 year-olds. you must have a bit of patience until his team grows up. :burningma

Quote Originally Posted by In The News
    After hearing fans boo their own players in game against Giants, one has to wonder if they are spoiled by past success. Patience please. Chynoweth's team only 16 and 17 year-olds. you must have a bit of patience until his team grows up. :burningma
    The Rebels went from 5 or 6 seasons of dominance in the league, to dead last this season. I (and others) have been critical of some of the veterans on the team (all but one have since been traded) for their lack of work ethic/lack of competance. Aside from that, I haven't heard much in the way of criticism of the younger players, as they are still working hard, just making rookie mistakes. I agree that the fans need to lay off the younger players until they reach at least some of their potential. Swift Current has the 4th highest average player age in the league, so they are by no means a young team, are the younger players just in a more important role than the vets?

Default Where were you sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by In The News
    I didn't hear any booing where I was. Maybe just people around you? I heard alot of bad remarks about the system that Dean seems to have incorperated, ie...nobody in front of Slade or trying to get him off his game, and players running Moir and getting away with it. There just doesn't seem to be any protection or payback. Other teams should be afraid of running our goaltender and Dean just doesn't want anyone to do anything about it. I hate to say it, but I'm pulling my support of Dean. He just isn't getting the job done. The team is turning into *****s and thats coaching! So go ahead guys, let's hear all the "told you so"s! Trouble is we can't afford to fire him.

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

Question Grows Up??

There only 2 16's and 7 17's. Those 9 players definitely show nice up and coming youth but with the other 15 18-20's there's no excuse, besides maybe coaching, for the record that we have. We are one of the older teams in the league and Deans contract is coming to an end. I believe next year is his last. He will have to improve the team a lot in my eyes next year and hopefully he can and will, but ????? I love a lot of the young talent coming up in the 16's and 17's we have now, along with Wudrick, Gervais etc.. I'm honestly just not sure about Dean. But after talking to a board member the other day, I know that Dean isn't going anywhere soon. "He still doesn't have HIS team" is what I was told. Which left me wondering how many more trades does he have to make before that excuse wears out, because it's definitely wearing thin.
    Always Remembered

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter
    I agree that the fans need to lay off the younger players until they reach at least some of their potential. Swift Current has the 4th highest average player age in the league, so they are by no means a young team, are the younger players just in a more important role than the vets?
    If there were boos, and I never heard any, it is aimed at the system and coachs, not the younger players themselves. People are getting frustrated at the lack of improvement after half a season. I know the last game against the giants was a pathetic display of hockey at it's worst. Nobody in front of the net to screen or cause havoc to Slade who easily gets rattled and thrown off his game and the continuous harrassment that Moir faced from 3 Giants always crashing the net and in his crease untouched all night long. Somebody really needs to start coaching these kids!

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

Default There Were Boo's

In the Vancouver game when they had us at our mercy in our own end and Hengen finally took the delay a game penalty for purposely shooting the puck into the netting. I don't believe that the boo birds were directing it at the kids, at least I hope not, but more so at Dean and his poor coaching and systems.
    If Deans such a great coach why was Hunchak asked to help at the World Juniors????
    Always Remembered

Default "It's not his team"

I'm sick of this excuse, the only players left from the old regime are Moir, Rumsey, Hunter, and Hengen. Three out of four IMO are usually the best players on the ice. I did hear some booing at Hengen last game, even did some myself because as an 18 yr old 3rd year in the league he shouldn't be giving the puck away or be caught up ice as often as he does. The other three are the team. As for a member of the board saying this isn't Dean's team I place the blame squarely on them, as they kept McEwan around for the bantam draft two years ago, and it almost seems like Dean doesn't want to give some of the 16 yr olds McEwan drafted a chance. I was impressed with the way some of Dean's picks played in camp (15 yr olds) but with new rules coming in limiting 16 yr olds next year we probably won't see many of these guys till they are 17, so does this excuse live on till then, I hope not.
    I'm not defending Dean either I think most of his systems are boring and predictable. I think more blame should be directed at our board of directors, they hired boring old Chynoweth, passing on Marc Habscheid. People are quick to blame coaching and scouting but I think the bigger picture is often overlooked. Scouting is a crap shoot, you never really know how players will develop, or what their intensions are, with more players opting to go the NCAA route. Coaching is easier to control in most places but in Swift they can't afford to fire anyone, so we are stuck until Dean's three years are up. Maybe he thinks he's still in the old NHL where you only have to perform when your contract is up. Maybe the board needs a shakeup as well.
    As to answer the question of "Are Bronco Fans Spoiled by Past Success?" IMO I think we are, you expect a winner, but also know everyone will have ups and downs. Bronco hockey has always been a winner even in years where they weren't supposed to win, that's what we expect as fans. If the talent isn't on the ice then we have to work harder, hit harder, skate faster, do all the little things right to become a winner. Unfortunately IMO that's not the way the organization seems to see it now, they seem to say we don't have the talent, the skill, whatever it takes to win so we will just sit back until it comes along, and that's not bronco hockey.

Default Boo's under my breath !!

I too thought Hengen had a bad game But Lukacevic was the hardest to watch he gave the puck up for 2 goals was scared to take a check and stood around for the rest of the game . The Kid has lot's of skill but only when he wants . For being one of the fastest in the Dub is very much a one way player . Can't see him being part of any trade talks . With the trade d -.day so early it 's a tought call on what to do with Moir , he keeps us in most games and is on his way to being MVP again this year. I also wonder why every other team puts one or two guys on top of Moir and take away his room to move and we give every goalie 10 or 15 feet . Raffi should be a good one to cut down some vision and get in there face. We have guys with talent and guys that play there role well but need everyone to show up for every game , Seems to only happen now and then the boys have beat most of the best teams this year when they show up .Dean needs to sit guys if they don't give 100%. Aspenlind one of the best players the last 10 games has he even been given a star ? , McAvoy also gets better every game . The fans have been alot louder than in the past couple of years when the guys play like a team and work hard , Fans have been very patient
    [COLOR=Navy]Go BRONCOS Go

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead
    If Deans such a great coach why was Hunchak asked to help at the World Juniors????

Coached the under 18 team in 2004.
    http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm...72/la_id/1.htm

Named as the assistant coach to Brent Sutter for the 2004 WJC in Grand Forks but steped down to focus on his new job in Swift.
    http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm...14/la_id/1.htm

You can do better than cheapshots with no foundation.
    I think Zidan only wanted to see what would happen if an Italian took a real hit.

Default And This Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Oh-Vee
    Coached the under 18 team in 2004.
    http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm...72/la_id/1.htm

Named as the assistant coach to Brent Sutter for the 2004 WJC in Grand Forks but steped down to focus on his new job in Swift.
    http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm...14/la_id/1.htm

You can do better than cheapshots with no foundation.
    Apparently the fans of Swift and Seattle are not the only ones that have gave up on him.
    Looks like he did well too, coaching the under 18's losing in the Bronze medal game and bringing home aww nothing. At least he's consistent.
    13:00 CAN 2 vs. CZE 3 Bronze Palace Sport
    17:00 W 25 vs W 27 Gold Palace Sport
    From gold the year before, to awww nothing.
    Last edited by Flathead; 01-03-2006 at 11:02 PM. Reason: change
    Always Remembered