Thread: Article on Peter Mueller

Default Article on Peter Mueller

Kristi
    ---------------------------------

Default Here's the text...

as Kristi said, from http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5218344

Team USA's Mueller breaks out at WJC

Shane Malloy / Special to FOXSports.com

Before the World Junior Championship began, the spotlight of the tournament was clearly on University of Minnesota freshman phenom Phil Kessel. Now that people around the world have had a chance to see Peter Mueller up front and center, his stock has soared.

The former member of the USA Developmental Program chose a different route than is teammates as he went to the rugged Western Hockey League, instead of a U.S. college. He is forging his own path while playing for the Everett Silvertips, typical of a young man in search of his own identity. The 6-foot-2, 203-pound center can bring a load with power but has the puck skills to make any defenseman look silly.
    Now with NHL scouts in attendance at the WJC it is Mueller's time to shine and prove he legitimately belongs in the top five in the years draft.

Mueller was humble when asked about how he felt representing his country.

"When I was selected I was truly honored since so many players are so unbelievably talented," Meuller said. "I knew it would be such a great experience for me."

Mueller credits Team USA coach Walt Kyle for helping him understand what is truly important in hockey.

"To be one as a team regardless of how much you play and you are called upon you give your very best for the team every shift— that is the greatest thing I have learned from him," said Mueller.

Currently Mueller is tied for third in scoring for Team USA with two goals and four assists in five games. That is not terribly surprising to most in the hockey world, but it is impressive considering he is only 17 and the youngest player on the team. This fact was not lost on his USA

"He has been tremendous and sometimes you forget he was born in 1988," teammate Cory Schneider said. "He has still two years left in this tournament.

"He is so composed and he can play in all situations and he is a gritty all round player who can put the puck in the net."

At first glance, the kid with the scruffy hockey mullet hairdo and the mischievous grin looks like he grew up in the Canadian prairies. If you thought the time-honored look of Mike Ricci and Ryan Smyth was outdated, think again.

But it's what's in Mueller's head underneath the mop of hair that has impressed teammate Taylor Chorney.

"I think he is playing really well," Chorney said. "I have had the chance to play with him a couple times and it seems he is playing with more determination in this tournament than I have ever seen."

While he may look like a kid from Canada, Mueller was born in Bloomington, Minn. On the ice, he started garnering recognition as a bantam when he scored 106 goals and 52 assists in 53 games. The following year he played on the prestigious Breck High School team where he continued to wow the crowd as a 14-year-old, compiling 42 points in 25 games.

The next test for him came in 2003 when he left for Ann Arbor, Mich., to become a member of the U.S. National Under-17 Team. Now he was forced to play against the best talent the nation had to offer within his peer group. It took some time but by the end of his first year, his numbers and overall play began to improve as he amassed a respectable 44 points in 67 games.

Everyone now had him on the radar screen and he elevated his play with the U.S. Under-18 Team, crushing the competition with his physical play and scoring prowess, posting 98 points in 57 games. His first IIHF experience in 2005 paid dividends as a member of the Under-18 Gold medal squad, where he produced seven points in six games.

Fortunately for head coach Kevin Constantine and the Silvertips, Mueller's dominance has continued this year. His 27 points in 27 games has scouts are excited.

"Coming from the WHL to here (at the WJC), it's the little stuff that makes the difference when you play against the best of the best from each country," Mueller said. "The importance of blocking shots and strong penalty killing are the main things I have brought with me from Coach Constantine."

At the most crucial time of his young career, as he readies himself for the next step, it will be his intangibles, not his skill that will make him a success on the next level.