Silvertips' mellow goalie a steady clutch player
By Jim Riley

Though most of the noise coming from the Everett Events Center these days is due to the improved offense of the Silvertips, it's still defense that is winning the team the majority of its games.

The Silvertips reside in first place in the U.S. Division of the Western Hockey League (WHL) with a 23-15-2-0 record, and much of the credit should go to sophomore goaltender Leland Irving.

Stepping in as the starter just before the start of the season when Michael Wall was traded, Irving has been consistent, at times brilliant and most of all dependable.

Irving has played 2,152 minutes this season, the third most among goaltenders in the WHL after Matt Keetley of Medicine Hat and Kyle Moir of Swift Current. Irving is among the league leaders in save percentage (92.1), wins (21) and goals-against average (2.01).

He's also been solid in the clutch, compiling a 4-0 record in shootouts, and has shown a knack for making his biggest saves when they matter most.

Irving is only 17, and his success now is surprising only to people who haven't been following his career.

A native of Swan Hills, Alberta, Irving was taken in the fifth round of the 2003 WHL draft with the 81st pick. He stunned everyone by making the team as a rookie.

He was supposed to have been a backup for Team Canada at last year's U-18 World Cup tournament but wound up leading his team to the gold medal.

He was expected to serve as a backup this season but had such a good training camp that the Silvertips traded Wall.

Irving is the third player in what has quickly become a tradition of excellent goaltending in Everett. It started when Jeff Harvey led the Silvertips to the WHL finals in the team's expansion season and continued with Wall last year.

Now the torch has been passed to Irving, who even at 6 feet 1 and 185 pounds looks more studious than athletic.

Even after adrenaline-rousing shootouts, Irving speaks in slow, measured tones that suggest he might have just finished a nap.

Irving said he's ready not only to finish the final 32 games of the regular season but also to go deep into the playoffs.

"I always want to be in there," Irving said. "I had a good rest over Christmas and feel like I did at the beginning of the season. I was starting to feel the minutes I played in the first half, but now I feel good."

Irving got an unexpected break when he was pulled out of Sunday's game with the Silvertips trailing the Kamloops Blazers 2-1 at the end of the first period.

Everett came back to take the lead but lost 5-4. Coach Kevin Constantine said all the playing time Irving has had this season was a key part of his decision to put backup Matt Esposito into the game.

"Irv has played so many minutes that if it looks like he's off, that's the time I have to give Esposito some time," Constantine said.

The second goal for Kamloops came when Irving made a rare positioning error.

"I was off on my angle," Irving said. "I think the biggest thing was the timing. [Devan] Dubnyk was making a lot of big saves at one end, and then I didn't make one I should have."

Irving said there are two key elements to his game, and both are getting better as he's gotten more playing time.

"For me, positioning is always the main focus, and being able to get set for the first shot," Irving said. "If I can do that, then I can control the rebound and won't have to face two or three or four shots."

The second key for Irving involves vision and judgment.

"Reading plays and anticipating what is coming toward me and at what speed is something I've been developing and getting better at," Irving said.

He said he's ready to keep up the pace.

"It can be straining mentally, so I have to make sure I relax and not take the other things in my life so seriously," Irving said. "I feel good and want to keep carrying the load."

4 picked for showcase

Four Everett Silvertips have been selected to play in the Canadian Hockey League's top-prospects game next Wednesday in Ottawa.

Leland Irving, Brady Calla, Ondrej Fiala and Peter Mueller were among 40 players selected by National Hockey League general managers.

The annual game is used to scout top prospects before June's NHL draft. This is the first time Everett players have been selected.