Thread: '09 Wjhc

Default '09 Wjhc

Calgary, Edmonton to sumbit joint bid

CALGARY (CP) -- Calgary and Edmonton were the first to throw their hat into the ring to host the 2009 world junior men's hockey championship with a joint bid Tuesday.

The deadline for cities to submit letters of intent to Hockey Canada is Wednesday, but Calgary and Edmonton made a joint announcement Tuesday.

Montreal, led by Canadiens' management, Toronto's Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Ottawa and Saskatoon have expressed their intention to pursue the tournament.

Formal bid packages will be submitted to Hockey Canada by March 31 and the winning bid is expected to be announced in May.

The Alberta 2009 Bid is co-chaired by former Calgary Flame Jim Peplinski and Edmonton businessman Lyle Best and the Flames and Edmonton Oilers are among the bid backers, according to a release.

Previous Canadian host cities of the tournament were Vancouver (2006) Halifax (2003), Winnipeg (1999), Red Deer (1995), Saskatoon (1991) and Montreal (1978).

The tournament has become bigger and more profitable each time it has been held in Canada and thus highly coveted.

Vancouver was the largest Canadian city to host a world juniors and one of the reasons it gained the tournament was by guaranteeing a profit of at least $5.2 million in its bid. It actually reached about $9 million at the tournament's end.

Halifax raised the bar in 2003 with attendance of 242,173 and profit of $3.6 million, almost twice that of Winnipeg.

Vancouver held games at both Pacific Coliseum and GM Place and pool games were also held in Kelowna and Kamloops, B.C. The tournament set an attendance record at 325,138 and ticket sales were more than 400,000.

Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson said in Vancouver it would be the last time a Canadian host would hold the tournament in four different arenas.

"We feel if we hold it in two venues, it's better for the player," Nicholson said then. <.

The fact that Vancouver is host for the 2010 Olympic Games greatly helped its cause in gaining the world junior tournament.

The Montreal Canadiens want to follow in the same vein as the NHL team wants to tie the world junior tournament in with the franchise's 100th anniversary celebrations that year. The issue facing the Canadiens is that Montreal does not have a major junior hockey.

Ottawa is bidding for the tournament for a fourth time and led by 67's owner Jeff Hunt and the NHL's Senators working in concert. Ottawa and Saskatoon reached the five-city shortlist for the 2006 tournament.

Hockey Canada gets 50 per cent of the profits from the tournament in Canada, the Canadian Hockey League 35 per cent, and the provincial amateur hockey association of the host city or cities receiver the remaining 15 per cent.

The site selection committee includes Nicholson, chairman Rene Marcil, vice-president of business operations Scott Smith and Canadian Hockey League president David Branch.

Canada will also host the 2012 world junior tournament.

Thumbs up

I think it is great!

Both Alberta Cities have proven in the past how great they are at hosting International Events.

Sure hope we get them!

Calgary would be my choice from the west since they have a WHL team.

However I think it will be in the east next time more than likely Montreal.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

rinkrat Guest

Everett/Seattle would be cool!

Number_4 Guest

I like the idea of an Alberta bid, however, it will prolly be in the east next time seeing how it was on the coast last year. Montreal has a great case, being with its 100th and all, but no franchise. So my guess would be Ottawa. They have come so close so many times its not funny. And perhaps because Montreal is so close they can have exhibition games there. Something could be arranged if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    Everett/Seattle would be cool!
    Probably would be a good idea, but they will have to wait until it is the USA's turn to host again.

Personally, I would love if this happened. Gold medal game in front of 20,000 people in the Saddledome? We'd put Vancouver to shame.

C.F Guest

I would have said Ottawa, but the 6000 fans that showed up to the top prospects game was a big turn off.

Personally, I would love if this happened. Gold medal game in front of 20,000 people in the Saddledome? We'd put Vancouver to shame.
    Pshhhh.

Default Spokane

Although I think there are better cities to play, we learned in all our marketing classes that Spokane does very well with the lower level sports (non-pro). We have better than some of the bigger cities due to the attraction of the event. In fact, at one point there was talk about moving the Seattle WNBA team here simply because they currently compete with the Sonics. I guess it makes sense though. If you don't have a pro team, you'll go to the next biggest level. If you have a pro team, and can actually afford going, why go to the lower level sports. Unfortunately in the Chief's case, you have to put up a descent team.