Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tomanek Suspended Indefinately

Default Tomanek Suspended Indefinately

Seattle played without its leading scorer, left wing Roman Tomanek. Tomanek was suspended indefinitely by the team for unspecified reasons. Sumner said Tomanek will not play again tonight.

from today's Everett Herald...excerpts from last night's game story:

http://heraldnet.com/stories/06/03/0..._f1tips001.cfm

Tomanek has been suspended for the rest of the regular season.What did Tomanek do that was so bad that they felt he needed to be suspended for the remainder of the season?

Probably broke team rules, and when it comes to teenagers you never know.
    Lets go Chiefs.

it would be interesting to at least have a clue released. like legal or personal or homesick, just something so people would stop guessing

Default the problem is...

....many people feel they are still very young and shuldn't mention what happened. I'm with you, though, people will imagine the worst. I mean, by the time it's over, if you don't count the playoffs, it will have been a 10 game suspension. Like you said, what was so bad as to cause a 10 day suspension? People's guesses will many times be much worse than the truth. Here's the latest information I have seen...

From NW briefs in the local paper:
    T-birds' top scorer sent back to Slovakia
    Roman Tomanek, the top scorer for the Seattle Thunderbirds this season with 42 points, has been suspended for the remainder of the season and the Western Hockey League playoffs and been sent home to Bystrica, Slovakia.

Tomanek, a fourth-round selection (103rd overall) in the 2004 NHL entry draft, had 17 goals this season. Seattle general manager Russ Farwell declined to comment on the reasons for Tomanek's departure other than to say he would not play for the team again this season and left Seattle on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Tipped Off; 03-08-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Wow.The playoffs too.It must have been bad for the GM to send home one of it's best players right before the playoffs.With Tomanek gone Seattle's done in round 1.I hope it was worth it.

I guess winning isn't that important in Seattle.

Default It's hard to know

It's hard to know if it is the team over reacting (such as maybe a shouting match with a coach) or if the player did something so bad they don't want him around anymore (we could only imagine what that might be). We just don't know....and sometimes, as I stated before, that is much worse than knowing.

Default Interesting...

I found this excerpt on Hockeys future regarding a preview of Tomanek:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/roman_tomanek

Talent Analysis

Tomanek is a dynamic forward with excellent ratings in all aspects of skating and puckhandling. He has the confidence to attempt plays and moves that only world-class players can pull off (think Robbie Schremp at the CHL Top Prospects Game), and he often succeeds. Despite his smaller stature, Tomanek is a fearless forechecker, and is quite zealous in his pursuit of the puck in the offensive zone. He has been lauded for his keen hockey sense, and has shown adeptness as reading the play both offensively and defensively.

What scares scouts about Tomanek? The off-ice and maturity issues in his life, and the lack of desire to improve himself.

During games against teams of weaker competition, or games of little consequence, Tomanek was noticeably disinterested and had trouble maintaining the high level of play that he had shown against better opposition. His lack of interest on the defensive end hurt his own team, and he tended to get by on his offensive skills alone.

Off the ice, Tomanek ran into some trouble with bad influences when he was playing, for a short time, in Bratislava’s system. Tomanek was more concerned with ‘having fun’, rather than training and preparing for games.
    Last edited by Tipped Off; 03-08-2006 at 03:24 PM.

they sure got him out of the country quick though. i wish they would just print a partial reason so the speculation stops. the people of seattle that pay to see him play deserve to have a decent reason given to them.the last guy i heard of who was suspended for 10 games (it might have been 13 though) and the playoffs was bertuzzi. this could spiral and ruin the kids chances at north american pro hockey