Thread: Just got back from Cranbrook.

C.F Guest

Default Just got back from Cranbrook.

I was in Cranbrook this week for the first time in my life to catch some hockey games. It's a neat little city you guys have going there, the drive up there was beautiful.

First off, congrats to the Cranbrook 'AAA' ICE for winning the BCAHA midget provincial championships on home turf, It was very neat to see the support they got from the city in what was a very unexpected victory. That being said, I was very dissapointed in what a poor job the Cranbrook hockey association did with organizing the event, and how clearly unfair the tournament favoured the home town team. Not only was the schedule ridiculous(from the time slots to a last minute change of arenas to benifet the ICE), but the reffing was extremly biased all week. I'm not too sure if many Kootenay Ice fans here paid much attention to the tourney, but are the people of Cranbrook oblivious to this, or do they share the same feelings?

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed some great midget hockey over the passed week as much as I did, it's just too bad that the entire tournament feelings tainted after being so unfairly run.

Default Congrats Cranbrook Ice

Quote Originally Posted by C.F
    Not only was the schedule ridiculous(from the time slots to a last minute change of arenas to benifet the ICE), but the reffing was extremly biased all week. I'm not too sure if many Kootenay Ice fans here paid much attention to the tourney, but are the people of Cranbrook oblivious to this, or do they share the same feelings?
    I don't know about the schedule, but I thought the format was stupid. Only two teams played in the final after the round robin. I was complaining about it right behind the chair of the tournys back, not knowing it was him sitting there. As for the change of arenas, THE final was to be pled at 6:00 at the rec plex, Ridge Meadows' (who was in the final along with Cranbrook) last game ended at 4:00. They wanted to give them more than a two hour brake before the final (not benefiting Cranbrook). So they scheduled the game for 8:00. Problem was an Old timers group in town had the ice at I believe 9:00, and they tried to get them to give up the ice time, or switch rinks. They wouldn't give it up for the Midget AAA provincial final. I thought that was pretty ignorent of them, and I'm sorry if anyone that posts here were a part of that group, but thats what I feel. However, the game was to be played at the Memorial Arena, which was there home rink for the season. So it became a bit of an advantage.
    Thats what really happened, it wasn't a last minute switch of the rinks to give Cranbrooks team an advantage.

C.F Guest

Thanks for clearing things up. Either way, the schedule was a joke. Looking at the schedule, there's clearly one team that got the advantage, and one that had the target on its back(both played in the finals). The organizers admitted at a coaches meeting the day before the tournament started that they made a mistake in the rankings, but wouldn't change any of the round robin games. At least they were nice enough to give Ridge more than an hour rest before the finals, but changing the rink to a smaller ice surface which helped the slower Cranbrook team did more harm than good. I really do think the schedule had a huge impact in the finals when it went into double overtime. Ridge looked spent.

Was Ridge the favorite going in?

tender Guest

First off Congats to the Cranbrook Ice for winning the tripple A AA championship this past Wed evening ,it was a very enteraining game . I myself heard about the reason for the switch in venues and Im afraid I have to side with the oldtimers group in not switching rinks I know theirs been many a time where minor hockey as refused to budge on giving up an ice time or canceling a time so another group may benifit at an earlier time or at least have the option to do so. Its an unfortunet thing when sometimes theirs a lack of co operation Im sure these two groups have had conflics before with ice schedualing and will probly continue to do so with the way the schedualing gets done one group or another is going conflict with the other this is only my opion and or thoughts of this situation.

C.F Guest

Quote Originally Posted by In the crowd
    Was Ridge the favorite going in?
    Ridge was the 3rd ranked team in the province, but the two teams ahead of them(Surrey and Abby) didn't get in. The favourites before playoffs were by far and large Abby, but they got upset by Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by C.F
    Thanks for clearing things up. Either way, the schedule was a joke. Looking at the schedule, there's clearly one team that got the advantage, and one that had the target on its back(both played in the finals). The organizers admitted at a coaches meeting the day before the tournament started that they made a mistake in the rankings, but wouldn't change any of the round robin games. At least they were nice enough to give Ridge more than an hour rest before the finals, but changing the rink to a smaller ice surface which helped the slower Cranbrook team did more harm than good. I really do think the schedule had a huge impact in the finals when it went into double overtime. Ridge looked spent.
    Without wading into the debate of Ice scheduling (I have no idea of how the schedule was setup), I will point out to you that in most home tournaments, the homeside does benefit from the schedule. This goes from childrens sports right up to the Olympics, scheduling any other way would be ludicris IMHO. Home teams will get the weaker pool to start with, games geared around times that most locals can attend and the tournament will then maximize their attendance. If you can help along the home team in the possibility of advancing generating hometown interest, it is a strategy to gain an edge.