Due to the fact that there's no NHL, and since I live in the states, we don't get shaw or tsn, I've had to scrounge around for hockey on TV. I've been lucky to be able to watch a lot of College Hockey recently, bringing me back to my days at MSU.

My wife asked me a question during Saturday's MSU/UM game, as to how college and the WHL compare, and what else is there below the NHL. I explained the whole tree of NHL/AHL/ECHL, etc ... and how the Major Junior draft works, but was at a loss with the comparison to College.

How would a Memorial Cup team compare to the Div 1 champion in college hockey? Would it even be close? Would a better comparison be the worst team in college hockey against the best WHL team? The worst in the Dub against the best in college?

There's obviously a huge age and maturity differential (most college teams average 21-22 years old), but since all WHL Teams are basically "stocked" via draft, and most college teams have only about 25%-50% of their team on scholarship (the rest being walk-ons at most universities), I wonder if this percieved lack of depth translates into an ass kicking on the ice by one of our better teams, or if the age factor trumps all.

Has there ever been a game between the 2? Has anyone else ever wondered about this ?

Thoughts ?