Thread: WHL vs CCHA ?

Default WHL vs CCHA ?

Due to the fact that there's no NHL, and since I live in the states, we don't get shaw or tsn, I've had to scrounge around for hockey on TV. I've been lucky to be able to watch a lot of College Hockey recently, bringing me back to my days at MSU.

My wife asked me a question during Saturday's MSU/UM game, as to how college and the WHL compare, and what else is there below the NHL. I explained the whole tree of NHL/AHL/ECHL, etc ... and how the Major Junior draft works, but was at a loss with the comparison to College.

How would a Memorial Cup team compare to the Div 1 champion in college hockey? Would it even be close? Would a better comparison be the worst team in college hockey against the best WHL team? The worst in the Dub against the best in college?

There's obviously a huge age and maturity differential (most college teams average 21-22 years old), but since all WHL Teams are basically "stocked" via draft, and most college teams have only about 25%-50% of their team on scholarship (the rest being walk-ons at most universities), I wonder if this percieved lack of depth translates into an ass kicking on the ice by one of our better teams, or if the age factor trumps all.

Has there ever been a game between the 2? Has anyone else ever wondered about this ?

Thoughts ?
    Real Time WHL Score Updates ... Delivered to your Cell Phone, Pager or eMail

Default best guess

My Best guess is a little of both of what you said. I'd bet on the college team if it was a one game, winner take all, type exhibition. the colleg eteeam could run short lines and get their top athletes in the game a ton in a one-game series. However, in an WHL-style, best of seven, series I would take the WHL team. I beleive the depth on the good wHL teams is better than the depth on a college level team. Especially in a WHL style event where they play three games in four nights, type of situation.

Just my 2-cents.

Thumbs down

I believe the number of games played in the college ranks is alot less than in the WHL/CHL, as they play only on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Mike Comrie (formerly of the WHL Ice and the NHL Oilers) once played in the college ranks, but went to the WHL for his last eligible year to get the better expossure, etc.

As for playing games against each other...

No. Never thought of it.

Its almost like the ECHL, UHL, SEHL, CHL (Central hockey league), the defunct WCHL & IHL, and the AHL deciding to all play games versus each other.

Never has. Doubt it ever will.

Having said that, the WHA and the NHL did have exhibition games between their respective leagues way back.

Thunderbird107 Guest

A lot of players have gone from the NCAA to the WHL (CHL) just because of more games, higher level of competition and more international players and exposure. And, before anyone asks why no one goes from the WHL (CHL) to the NCAA, they can't. The money they recieve as a stipend is considered a salary and therefore they lose all U.S. college eligibility.

That's interesting.

I thought that the players' stipends were setup to be just low enough for them not to have to file taxes on it, and also thought that they were structured in such a way as to retain the players' amateur status. Can you confirm that? Not so much for this discussion, but just so that I understand that more completely (is it on the whl site somewhere?)

Why do some dub players graduate and to on to play college hockey in Canada? Are their amateur rules different somehow ?
    Real Time WHL Score Updates ... Delivered to your Cell Phone, Pager or eMail

Each of the choices depends on the player. Most of the guys I've talked to who chose the college route over the Major Junior route is because of the fact they need more time to grow better as a player. There are more practices and less games. Though that could turn some players off, but to those yet to find their niche, it's makes them grow as a player.

The major junior route is for the players who feel they are old enough and skilled enough to put up with the everyday grind. Plus, at least in the Dub, the amount of years the player plays, it goes to a scholarship fund they can use after hockey for education purposes.

Thunderbird107 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander
    That's interesting.

I thought that the players' stipends were setup to be just low enough for them not to have to file taxes on it, and also thought that they were structured in such a way as to retain the players' amateur status. Can you confirm that? Not so much for this discussion, but just so that I understand that more completely (is it on the whl site somewhere?)

Why do some dub players graduate and to on to play college hockey in Canada? Are their amateur rules different somehow ?
    Canadian rules are different which is why you see so many WHL'ers in University. The WHL picks up most of that tab too.

Here's a story about the tuition payment system that addresses the NCAA system a tiny bit. I'll try to find a better article on that for you.

http://www.whl.ca/education/?id=1017&showToc=1&

Edit: Ok it turns out I was wrong. I understood it as the old way but apparently the rule changed. Here is the new one:

If you have played in Canadian Major Juniors you are still eligible for NCAA play. Players who competed in Major Junior before their regular high school graduation year will lose one year of NCAA eligibility per year. Players who competed in Major Junior after their regular high school graduation year will lose a year of eligibility, plus must sit out one season in residence per year.

So it doesn't you too much good to go from the WHL to the NCAA if you want hockey to be your career as you will be sitting out for a least a year and maybe only playing one more year.
    Last edited by Thunderbird107; 02-08-2005 at 02:08 PM.