Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giants 3 Raiders 0 (EN) - Dec 10th, 2014

Default Giants 3 Raiders 0 (EN) - Dec 10th, 2014

Apologies for the opening rant, but it needed to be written and affected my enjoyment and analysis of the game in some respects. A nice clean simple smart game by the Gs. Very few quality chances given to the Raiders.

Giants Quell Raiders
    Vancouver 3 Prince Albert 0 (EN)

The evening started off pretty crappy due to the Shaw broadcast crew being tremendously arrogant. For years now the broadcast cameramen set-up at the bottom of the stairs in the corner of the arena, but tonight they decided to put the cameramen in the middle of the row in the corner. In my section all of these front row seats are seasons tickets seats. When I informed him of this the intern (most likely as he was more cameraboy than cameraman) camera op lied to me telling me the seats had been “killed”. Not one of those seats had been killed and never before has any video camera operator set-up in the middle of the row. Even if the seats are not occupied, the camera op blocks the view of people in seats around him. To be blunt, someone arbitrarily decided to place cameras in that position without authorization. The camera op blew off the PNE host when he was brought into it and we were forced to involve the arena Giants rep (Service and Ticket Manager) to get the guy to move. The camera op stalled by saying that he was “talking” to someone.

Meanwhile the lights have gone down and the camera op is still in the middle of the row. He finally begrudgingly moved down to the end seat reserved for still photographers. This could not have been handled much worse, as the camera op never apologized for lying, for setting up in the wrong area or for being rude and obstinate. From the second period on he was perched in the corner at the bottom of the stairs. No Shaw rep came to apologize either. Very badly handled with very little offer of compensation or any real apology for basically usurping seats, which had already been paid for - the owner of which who had never been contacted. The owner of those four seats beside a very long-time season ticket holder and me showed up close to the beginning of the game and got involved as well. He frequently gives his tickets to clients and he would have been choked had they showed up with a camera op planted in the middle of their seats

Okay on to the game. As you can probably surmise I was not exactly focused completely on the game in the first period, but although the boys got a bunch of shots I felt they were just going through the motions for most of the opening frame. I liked their second and third periods more and saw better teamwork, puck support and hunger. We whiffed on a few chances on the doorstep, but we were there and trying for the puck. Lee did not have to be excellent for the shut-out, but he made a few timely saves and was solid with his positioning. The Gs cleared the front of the net well and seemed to be quick getting their sticks on loose pucks. The Giants broke the goose-egg mid second and then added some insurance in the third on the PP and an empty net goal when the PA coach pulled the goalie with about 2 mins left.

The Giants out shot the Raiders in the first, but it didn’t really feel like they had jump and cohesion. They weren’t awful in the first, just not together. Their attention to their play improved as the game went on imo. Jackson Houck finally broke the zeroes, tallying his fifth goal in four games – rifling a puck through from the slot. Carter Popoff and Dmitry Osipov got the assists. Joel Hamilton put home a rebound in the third on the PP to give the Gs a bit of buffer. The Giants were being rewarded for some hard work and missed chances leading up to the goal. Tyler Benson made sure he skated to the red line before firing the puck at the empty net to salt away the victory. Matt Bellerive and Mason Geertsen had the helpers.

Team Notes: Houck went down awkwardly into the boards late in the game. Noel seems to think he should be okay, but Houck did not come out for the “star skate” or for the final several shifts. Vladimir Bobylev found his way back into the line-up and Noel seemed to think his line was the best in the first period.

Zebra Cage: Mike Campbell and Sean Raphael … Seemed kind of uneven to me, but I never found it to be horrible.

The Giants out shot the Raiders 38-29. The hometown boys went 1 for 3 on the PP, while holding the PA boys to 0 for 5. Not really an emotional game for anyone. It had a few scrums, but nothing of import. I liked Sward’s jump tonight and he was unlucky not to get a goal. The Raiders were a bit sloppy with the puck and were fortunate not to be down by more. Houck, Benson and Popoff always looked dangerous. I liked Ospiov’s game more as well; he seemed to be making the simpler smarter play. I noticed Stukel and Foster.

I think the Raiders might have been a tad fatigued down the stretch as they played in Victoria last night. I felt the Giants controlled the play for the most part and deserved the win. The PA goalie was pretty solid and a bit lucky, but he was tough to beat down low. I did not mentally note him as one of my stars and I did watch two periods of him right in front of me. Had the Gs got to some of those loose pucks I suspect the game would have been out of hand earlier. A team just below .500 are the kinds of opponents that the Giants need to make sure they don’t let off the hook and tonight they didn’t.

That’s 4 straight victories and three for Claude Noel as coach. I expect the home-at-home series this weekend versus the Victoria Royals to be more of a challenge. The Giants head over the Victoria for a Friday night tilt and then return to the Coliseum for Ugly Sweater jersey night on Saturday. I’d love to see the Giants take both games, but I will be happy with great effort and the split.

Three Stars

1. Payton Lee
    2. Jackson Houck
    3. Nick McBride

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Lee… I like how he battled for the puck and pounced on rebounds. Good solid shut-out. Turning aside 29 of 29 will help bump up his stats a bit.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

We: meaning our whole section from an upper view felt this!! The ice seemed extremely slow and very chippy. All players seemed slow and they were tripping often and missing the pucks. The puck stuck to the ice and stupid turnovers early on in the periods left you ??? Especially against PA in the 1st period as the Giants were fore checking heavily. This continued into ever period and I was surprised that slow ice was not mentioned in the post game interviews. Makes me wonder????

I do not want to belabor this point but we were in t-shirts and my buddy says" man is it warm in here" Do any of you feel the same way? I want to give credit to the Giants for hanging in there in rough conditions,,,, but ?

1. Playing tired team
    2. Slow ice .. on purpose
    3. No mention of slow ice
    4. Am I stupid?

Dondo : I felt your feeling strongly in your first paragraph about the SHAW infiltrating your zone. i give you compliments for not being dragged from the building in hand cuffs. lol I then began to wonder about out N parking lot

Now I realize what must have happened in the parking lot!! In the north end parking lot for STH we always park within a 1 minute walk to the N door. We arrived late tonight and literally were at the most Northern part of the parking lot.. We expected a full house..yet there were announced 3900 but probably 1/2 were there. I guess Shaw was give the north end lot? That's ok but don't screw with Dondo's seat's.

THE MOST BORING GAME maybe in the history of the Giants.

There really isn't much to say. No hitting, no intensity, no passion. No wonder there was nobody there. Maybe 1700 at best. The Giants should have told everyone to move down to help fill the seats because the game was on Shaw. Funny, the Gmen usually lose when they are on tv.

Nothing to cheer about except 3 goals.

We never leave early but we moved around sat in different seats. It was horrible. That was a dog of a game.

Used to love seeing the teams from the East come to town but that was almost a decade ago.

If they play more games like that, the rink will continue to be empty.

We should've stayed home & watched Survivor & the Goldbergs.

Looks like we'll be getting to see more of Josh Morrissey... He got traded to Kelowna after the game last night... Looks like Kelowna is loading up.
    Big Snake, Grant, Kassian, Lucic... who will the next Giants heavyweight be....

Quote Originally Posted by GiantDave View Post
    Looks like we'll be getting to see more of Josh Morrissey... He got traded to Kelowna after the game last night... Looks like Kelowna is loading up.
    And they acquired him for next to nothing. Highway robbery by Hamilton.

yeah that was not what you would call an enjoyable game and I agree with FNL as I feel a big lurking other shoe about to drop. I'm happy the boys are playing more positively and are a happier lot.

Listening to Noel being interviewed I think he can get these boys playing better though. He has the kind of sense of humour you have to have building a bottom feeding team up to being competitive and at the very least start believing in themselves a bit. A four game win streak does feel good, but I also think they are in for a rude awakening in Victoria.

Shawgate update: emails were sent, responses received, apologies made and promises forwarded. I work in the production side of the entertainment business and the crew on that night failed greatly. It was amateur from the cameraman on out and even though their boss, or their bosses boss apologized it doesn't change the fact that they sent a bunch of unprofessional clowns to do a man's work and I am hoping there will be real fall-out and not just lip-service.

I was informed through channels that it was a miscommunication between the Giants and Shaw, but Shaw has been there before and they have never placed cameras in the middle of rows and never been so non-receptive to the PNE staff. They need to smarten up, stop making stupid decisions and then actually have the balls to own up to their mistakes and correct them - none of that happened on the night.

as Swando said don't f*ck with my seats. I really am still twisted about this - I hate putting up with amateurs

A Shot From The Corner

Giants haven't played well over the last few games but I'm not worried. They definitely need to get some speed through the neutral zone. It's pretty clear they aren't moving their legs & making nice tape to tape passes. A lot of perimeter shots as well. They need more from several forwards (Baer, Foster, Sward) & need to drive to the net & make it hard for opposing goalies to see the shots.

Defensive coverage that I've been complaining about all season is much better. They are still leaving an opponent open too often & especially when they are shorthanded but it's a big improvement from what is was.

Goaltending is fine. I also believe, & I think I mentioned it in one of the threads earlier that I think Porter is their goalie of the future. He was undrafted & the Giants signed him last March. He's gonna play second fiddle to Lee for now, but he was doing better than expected & he's only 17.

I am positive that Management & maybe Wilson said that they have to get Lee back in the groove so we want him to play a lot so he can regain his earlier form. The Giants believe in him & it's a nice problem to have when both goalies can be starters. This is the best 1-1a tandem that I feel they've had since Sexsmith-Neufeld back in 2007.

I'm not worried about the games vs Victoria. If the Giants can pick up their play, they can beat Victoria. One thing Victoria can't do is push the Giants around. There is no comparison when it comes to physical play so I hope the Gmen play their game instead of letting the Royals dictate the game. Hopefully Thrower will get more physically involved.

As for the captaincy, I've always thought Geertsen was the leader & the kind of guy I like as captain. He won't be around next season so I would like to see him have the honors, not that it really makes a big difference.

Watching the Jean Beliveau memorials in their various capacities has made me think that the political habit of the franchise assigning the C has gotten out of hand and it is time to return to the players choosing their captain.

If Geertsen gets the C then Houck will pout again as he believes he should have been captain last year and I have heard did not like Sward having the C this year.

I don't mind Geertsen getting the C, but I'd like to see the players at least get a say on who they want to represent them.

A Shot From The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by dondo View Post
    Watching the Jean Beliveau memorials in their various capacities has made me think that the political habit of the franchise assigning the C has gotten out of hand and it is time to return to the players choosing their captain.

If Geertsen gets the C then Houck will pout again as he believes he should have been captain last year and I have heard did not like Sward having the C this year.

I don't mind Geertsen getting the C, but I'd like to see the players at least get a say on who they want to represent them.
    Houck isn't no captain; the kid has enough problem motivating himself, let alone the whole team. If anyone, it's Geertsen.
    WE ARE ALL GIANTS.