Thread: Derek Claffey

Default Derek Claffey

Non of this is official and i never heard it from someone from in the organization but from a billet. It seems Derek Claffey is having a change of heart. For those who don't remember Derek, he was Paul Postma's teammate in Red Deer. He is a D-man who is as good as Paul or maybe even better. He is a stay at home D-man who is very poised for a 17 year-old. He was at camp last year and i think had a very good chance of sticking with the club as a 16 year-old but was being lured away by college scholarships. He returned home but apparently has changed his mind. I was told he has either a family member or friend that took the college route on a scholarship and it wasen't all it was cracked up to be with alot of false promises. He kept in contact with Paul and now wishes he had stayed with the Bronco's. It now sounds like he will return for Bronco camp this year. The billet said he is 95% set on coming back to Swift. Lets hope the other 5% doesn't come into his decision.

Scout
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Where did he play this past year? I remember the talk about him, hope he gives the Broncos a try this year.
    Always Remembered

I have been told that Derek plays a rough style of hockey, and he can just be mean. Is that accurate?
    Anyhow with the roster as it is there is likely to be one open spot on the back end (either rumsey/lloyd). So it will be a dog fight to get it.

Default Claffey

Derek skipped his last year of Midget and chose instead to jump to the Alberta Junior Hockey League and played as a 16 year-old with The Canmore Eagles. Remember this league has the same age limits as the Dub where he would have been playing against players older than him and even some that were 20 years-old. Derek stands 6' and is 180lbs. In 54 games with Canmore he had 2 goals 6 assists and 45 pim. He does play a rugged style but isn't tough that i know of. He does clear the net very well and very seldom makes an error on the break away pass and is very solid with the puck and never panics. He is a stay at home defencemen and i believe was Pauls defensive partner in Red Deer.

Scout
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

This is the link for some information on Claffey..
    http://www.ajhl.ab.ca/leagues/roster...layerID=160349

He even looks like he could be a tough hockey player...Before we jump to any conclusions as to whether or not he'll be around, the 20 year olds need to be taken care of with two 20 year old d men. The 20 year olds include, Lukacevic, Aspenlind, Schenderling, Wasmuth, Rumsey, Lloyd, and Moir. The only way I see Lloyd staying is if Rumsey isn't. I think having a 20 year old d man would be beneficial to the defensive group regardless if it is Rumsey or Lloyd. I don't think having two 20 year old d men would help with the offense at forward or lack there of from last season. I see Wasmuth as almost guaranteed not being back. I wouldn't be surprised if Dean makes trades in the off season with some of the 20 year olds. More so guys like Aspenlind, Schenderling, Rumsey, Lukacevic and Moir. Just my thoughts anyways...We've got some good young forwards coming up and some defenceman that could be some good options this season so having some solid veteran leadership wouldn't be a bad thing for a relatively young team...what do you think?